RPGA Membership?

Festivus

First Post
I got mine online years ago by passing the 3.5 herald level GM exam. I don't know if they still give you a number when you take the test. I agree, they should figure out a way to handle these requests online in a way that doesn't spam the database.

darjr

I crit!
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition - View topic - DMing Materials

From customer service you can get a number. Note that you can also order cards for free.

Here's what I did to try and join the RPGA. Go to the link dar posted (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dc ... ardrequest) and click on the "please contact our Customer Service Department." link at the bottom.

In the search option, type "join" and the 2nd link will be how to join the RPGA (the first is for the DCI). Below is the information from that link. You will need to click on the "email us" tab and submit some information to WOTC.

In order to become a member of the RPGA you must attend an RPGA sanctioned event and obtain a membership card from the event organizer (Senior GM). You can find events in your area using our online Tournament Locator.

If you are unable to attend an event, you may get an RPGA number by sending the following information to Customer Service via the 'E mail Us' tab here.

First Name
Last Name
Mailing Address
City
State/Province
Zip/Postal Code
Country
Phone Number
Birth Date
E-mail Address

I just submitted my stuff to them this morning.

Thats pretty much how it works. Head over to your FLGS and ask for an RPGA card or a DCI card. As noted above, it's the same thing. I went to an LFR event, grabbed a card and signed up really quickly. I also took the DM test and passed so now I can schedule my own events if I so chose.

But you basically need to pick up a card from a store or at an event in order to join. I can "kinda" understand why. You need to go out into the community to join. This action steps gets you out and about, so it's not just you sitting home along anti-social and joining, and then never getting out to the other RPGA members in the area.

So you can get a membership from a retailer even though there are currently no events being held there and the place has never had one? Thats the OP's situation.

exile

First Post
RPGA in KY

Lhorgrim,

I think I may have the cure for your gaming woes. I play with an RPGA group out of Lexington. Usually, we play in Lexington. However, this Saturday (3/28) I am hosting a gameday at my home in Somerset. I have some extra RPGA membership cards, so you can sign up here if you can make it.

It's weird. Sometimes when I sanction events, they show up on the RPGA website. Other times they don't. However, I would suggest that you join the Lexington D&D Meetup Group on Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com. There is always an RPGA event running on those meetup Saturdays, usually two sessions of LFR. Some of us even play more often. Right now, membership really seems to be on the rise. I think the Lexington group is about to spawn a second group, and local membership in Somerset is starting to take off as well.

Anyway, this Saturday, I'm running EAST 1-2, a Living Forgotten Realms adventure for 4th-7th level characters at 10 am. Since you don't have an RPGA membership, you clearly won't have a high enough level character for that game. That said, starting at 2-3pm that same day, we are going to have two tables of low-level LFR play, so you should be able to sign up and jump into one of those games.

If you want to e-mail me for additional details, you can do so at copatt75@yahoo.com.

Chad

PS I think we've talked gaming before. Are you in Danville?

exile

First Post
Heck, you should also check out my own Somerset D&D meetup group too. If we had more members, I'd actually feel better about paying for the site and might even post more regularly.

Chad

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Hey Chad!

Yes, I'm still in Danville.

I kinda lost track of you after you moved to Somerset.

I'll email you when I get back home from work. My work schedule is Monday through Friday, but I'm "on call" pretty much 24/7.

I'd like to get the chance to come down to the land of the Briar Jumpers and game with you sometime.

Jay

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I agree with the OP 100%. Also, I don't like this set-up even when there are games available in the area. I would love to join the RPGA and bring the members of my group into it. But I'm not going to jump through hoops to find and participate in a "Sanctioned" game when I don't know anything about those people or whether there game is worth my time. I game with "Friends" for a reason. I will occasionally game with new groups in the hopes of meeting new gaming friends. But I balk at being "Forced" to play in a strangers game in order to join the RPGA. Not to mention that those sanctioned games are 4E. I don't play 4E. Apparently, that means I'm no longer desired as a member. I can adapt any adventure to any system. I keep hearing that it's all D&D, regardless of edition. But apparently my edition isn't D&D as far as the RPGA is concerned.

Whether it's true or not, this makes me feel like they think they know better than their customers, what their customers actually want. (And Yes, even though I don't play 4E, I am still their customer. I do buy select 4E books and adventures, and I do have a DDI sub for Dungeon and Dragon.)

If they went back to their online sign-up, me and my group would join and promote the RPGA to anyone who may join in our games. But, since they apparently don't need us, we don't need them.

Mercutio01

First Post
I just wanted to note that I thought it was ridiculously hard too, until I sent an email and asked for a stack of cards. I got a packet of 25 registrations. I mailed out two to players in my PBP who wanted them. I intend to take credit once a month for my PBP registering it as a home game.

I have 23 registration cards left. PM me if you'd like one.

darjr

I crit!
You can get registered on line, via email. See my post above.

You can also easily get cards.

I'm not sure Wizards could or would do any thing if you downloaded the adventures and adapted them to your home game and rules.

I kinda feel like I'm working for the RPGA now... not intentional... cept I do like the results of the RPGA, around here anyway. I'm a fan.

Oh, and if the RPGA group near you isn't to your taste, I'll bet there are others in your area that would agree. Maybe a second group could fill that niche?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases