RPGA Membership?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
UPDATE

Ok, after I learned from the other posters here that DCI and RPGA were now the same system my problem was solved.

My FLGS had DCI cards because they have an active MtG schedule. The owner didn't even realize that I could use the DCI card for RPGA membership.

So I got the card, and now I'm signed up. It took very little time once I knew how to do it.

Thanks to everybody for helping me out.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Oh, I saw your posts and realize I could get them online (appreciate both of your posts Mercutio01 and darjr), I read the thread and saw all of the people willing to help ENWorlders out (yet another reason why ENWorld is AWESOME). I just wish RPGA would do it online. However, I may just take you guys up on the offer.:) Then I'll take that DM test.:D

Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm Angry or Upset at RPGA. They can do it any way they want, and I'll go my own way if they don't have what I want. No sweat. I was just trying to give a show of solidarity to the OP and state what I would want from RPGA to entice me into the community. (I'm still getting over this damn flu so I may have come off a little harsher than I intended.:blush:) But, it does seem as if the RPGA's perceptions and model is self limiting. I really don't see it hurting anyone except the RPGA itself.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Er...I have a DCI card *and* an RPGA card.

Both of them are old enough to almost qualify as antiques.

Which one matters, in case I need it at GenCon or similar?

Lan-"also almost old enough to qualify as an antique"-efan

D'karr

Adventurer
Er...I have a DCI card *and* an RPGA card.

Both of them are old enough to almost qualify as antiques.

Which one matters, in case I need it at GenCon or similar?

Lan-"also almost old enough to qualify as an antique"-efan

If you have not logged on to the DCI site using either of them, then I recommend that you use your DCI card from now on. The RPGA numbers were converted to DCI numbers (10 digits) during GenCon last year (a mess of uncounted pain) and if you have not logged on by now, then the DCI number is the correct one to use. If you want to, you can contact them to merge both cards into one account and keep your DCI number. Their email is dci@wizards.com

D'karr

Adventurer
Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm Angry or Upset at RPGA. They can do it any way they want, and I'll go my own way if they don't have what I want. No sweat. I was just trying to give a show of solidarity to the OP and state what I would want from RPGA to entice me into the community. (I'm still getting over this damn flu so I may have come off a little harsher than I intended.:blush:) But, it does seem as if the RPGA's perceptions and model is self limiting. I really don't see it hurting anyone except the RPGA itself.

I agree with you. I was able to do my account through the online testing when that was still available.

I recall a WotC representative many years ago mentioning that one of the main reasons they had to do away with the online membership registration had to do with changes to "child protection & numerous privacy laws" in different countries and that there was not an easy way for them to comply with all those laws with their online registration. That might have changed since then.

Holy Smokes

First Post
FWIW, it's my understanding that COPPA makes free (no credit card) online registration a royal pain in the ass.

Edit: ...d'oh! Scooped by D'Karr ;)

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer
Why would the RPGA not make it as easy as possible to become a member?

I got an email from WotC last Wednesday, telling me about the D&D Gameday to be held three days later on Saturday.:erm:

I have been running a game at my FLGS for people interested in 4E, and I thought running the gameday event would be a good draw for new gamers. The owner of my FLGS is very supportive of gaming, and I'm sure it helps business when gamers buy books or snacks while we're at the store.

Anyway, the email I got from WotC had a link if I wanted to run the Gameday event, so I thought I'd see if there was still time to set it up.

I found out I couldn't sign up to run the adventure without being an RPGA member. No problem, I've wanted to sign up for membership for some time. The trick is that I can't sign up on line, I have to go to an RPGA event and get a card. No problem, I'll just check the list of upcoming events and find one somewhere close to my town in Central KY. I went through 22 pages of upcoming events, and I didn't find a single event in KY for the near future. I did find an event in Richmond KY (about a 45 minute drive) in a couple months, but it is listed as a "placeholder" with no DM information.

I would have figured Lexington KY (35 minute drive) would have some RPGA events, but I didn't find any.

So. what do I have to do to get one of these coveted RPGA applications? Do I really have to drive to Ohio, Indiana, or Tennessee?

And again, why does the RPGA make it this difficult to join?

I know this has been something of a rant, but if anyone knows how I can join without crossing state lines I would appreciate it.:)

Probably my biggest complaint with the RPGA was that oftentimes it seemed somewhat inefficient, or maybe it really was. My own personal experience was that during 2nd ed days, it took them forever to post my points and only after I hounded them about it when other players in my group got theirs within a couple a weeks after a con. I got only one set of campaign cards and never got a set afterwards even though I earned enough points to acquire every set. Anyways, if it wasn't so much fun playing with my group at the RPGA events and if the campaign cards were truly integral to playing, I would probably venting some serious dork rage.

pedr

Explorer
Is it okay if I contact you as well? I'm UK based, and I'd love to join.
If you can get to, for instance, FanBoy3 in Manchester, they're bound to have a DCI/RPGA membership card you can use. It can be entirely automated once you have the card - although there's a fill-in/send to Wizards section, frankly that's not necessary as the card has an activation code which you can use to enter your contact details online.

If you can't get anywhere near a game shop which runs DCI events, email your address to pete@pedrg.eu and I'll send you an application form.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
If you can get to, for instance, FanBoy3 in Manchester, they're bound to have a DCI/RPGA membership card you can use. It can be entirely automated once you have the card - although there's a fill-in/send to Wizards section, frankly that's not necessary as the card has an activation code which you can use to enter your contact details online.

If you can't get anywhere near a game shop which runs DCI events, email your address to pete@pedrg.eu and I'll send you an application form.

Thanks for that. I may go to Manchester tomorrow.

IanArgent

First Post
You can get registered on line, via email. See my post above.

You can also easily get cards.

I'm not sure Wizards could or would do any thing if you downloaded the adventures and adapted them to your home game and rules.

I kinda feel like I'm working for the RPGA now... not intentional... cept I do like the results of the RPGA, around here anyway. I'm a fan.

Oh, and if the RPGA group near you isn't to your taste, I'll bet there are others in your area that would agree. Maybe a second group could fill that niche?

OK - I have a RPGA number. What do I have to do to get access to the adventures for use in my home game?

Remove ads