Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Rising OOC (Game has started!)

Jemal

Adventurer
After the results of This thread, I've decided to run a NEW Mutants and Masterminds game.
And before anybody mentions it, yes I know that the 'new mutants' was a marvel team, that won't be the name of the thread for long, I just haven't been able to come up with a name for the campaign yet, so it's a placeholder. :p

Although I love the marvel universe, I decided to go with a different one for this, b/c I don't want a bunch of established super-characters walking around. This leaves everyone open to create whatever we want *wicked grin*.

The concept:
The PC's are a individuals from all walks of life, all living in the same city - Metro(Large made up city) - who find themselves suddenly developing 'super powers'. But they're not the only ones. Rumours run rampant of strange happenings all over the globe. Just the other night a man was found frozen alive in his home on the east side of Metro.

What I would like to know from prospective players (Prospective players meaning anybody who'd like to join the game) is which(If any) of the following possible starting situations you like:
The PC's all know each other (Makes things easier)
The PC's don't ALL know each other but are each connected somehow
The PC's (Or at least some of them) have started acting like 'super heroes' to help people. (Perhaps forming a group with each other)

EDIT: Creation Rules

FIRST: If you haven't allready done so, post your concept. I will not be accepting characters whose concepts I haven't allready approved!

PC's will be PL 10, standard creation rules from the M&M 2e book with the following modifiers:
A) I will be requiring all PCs have 3 points each of Base attack and Base defense. No more, no less, no exceptions.
B) I will not be putting a limit on the PC's attack/defense trade-offs, I leave it up to your own sensibilities.. with the above exception regarding minimum base attack/defense. One thing to keep in mind: The NPC's will be using similar rules to you, and I WILL have NPC's capable of standing up to any over-clocked trade-offs the PC's use. SO, if one of you decides to take a +17 toughness save, sure you'll be immune to most things, but there WILL be someone out there with the strength to hurt you (And said villain will likely end up one-shotting anybody else if he hits someone other than you).
C) The Boost, Healing, Anatomic Seperation, Space Flight, Nemesis, and Nullify abilities are not available to PC's. I may add more to this list if they come up as problematic
D) Luck Feat limit 1.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Interest!

I like the second option:

Police scientist in the forensic department, suddenly manifesting Metamorpho (DC) like powers. (Most likely alternate form with the variable extra or limited shapeshifting.)

Shayuri

First Post
It kind of stretches things to say we all know each other personally...but connections behind the scenes could be fun, and would draw us together. And I could see some of us knowing each other beforehand, or at least being acquainted or having brief encounters...for example the policeman might have given one of us a ticket. :)

My idea right now is for a slightly batty conspiracy theorist journalist...a cub reporter who runs a nutty website on the side where she expresses the opinions and fears that she has to hide in her day job. For powers I'm thinking speedster, kind of. I'd like to try something like the 'stop or slow time' thing, but I don't want to retread Heroes too blatantly. :)

I'll think on it and see where the idea takes me...

hafrogman

Adventurer
I like something in between these two:
The PC's all know each other (Makes things easier)
I like something a little more established than just a connection, but each person knows some others, like a chain.

So A may work with B, and B is friends with C who is the sister of D who went to school with E who grew up with A, etc.

My concept: Plant Zombie. The human character would have died a few days before the game starts. He's buried beneath his favorite tree, and then when powers start manifesting, he wakes up. Plant body / plant control type powers.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I like it frogman, the chain works pretty well and doesn't stretch things too thin from a credibility POV.

For my PC, I think I like the idea of a Meatshield-style PC. He'd by the Crystalline or prism man. A geologist by trade, his powers would manifest as the ability to change his body to the very crystals that he studied, giving him strength, toughness and the ability to absorb energy.

Jemal

Adventurer
It doesn't have to be a complete chain, so long as each PC knows one or two others. groups of 2-3 pcs who know each other would likely be easiest, and then I could fill the gap in fairly easy, either with NPC's or things happening IC. (Two people who don't know each other end up at the scene of an.. 'incident', etc)

Hafrogman - Plant control's fine by me, but 'plant zombie'/dead guy coming back as something else don't sit too well with me.

Shayuri - Like I said, fresh world so you can create whatever you want (within the power limit). If you feel like doing something similar to an existing hiro (;)), feel free.

renau1g - thats fine.

Walking Dad - If I knew who metamorpho was that might mean something. Could you describe the super-power/concept without referring to another super hero? Shapeshifting and alternate form are fairly open ended, I'm just hoping for something a bit more specific.

Also, everybody another thing to add to the 'poll' -
Costumes & Super names or Not? (More marvel/comicy, or more 'realistic')

(There's at least 1 NPC who WILL be using the more comicy 'super identity', and one who definitely will not, but other than that the overall 'theme' is up to you guys)

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Hafrogman - Plant control's fine by me, but 'plant zombie'/dead guy coming back as something else don't sit too well with me.
Well the rebirth angle was the idea that attracted me in the first place. The plants were just a means to an end. :)

But if it doesn't jive, that's cool. But I'll probably come up with something completely different. I shall meditate.

Arkhandus

First Post
I'm not quite sure what I'd like to play yet, but I'll have a concept posted later today.

I'd say option 2, where we're all connected somehow, is probably best as others have expressed.

Comic-wise.....well, comic books are likely to have existed in the setting beforehand, so as powers begin to emerge, naturally some people are going to think back to their childhood comic books. I think it's entirely possible that some people would actually don customes and comic-bookish names. Whether we want to be more realistic and just assume that a small number of super-powered individuals actually do that and the rest just think it's silly, is up to the others.......I'm cool with it either way.

renau1g

First Post
I've always thought identities were almost necessary, and it's possible to have a gritty world even with secret identities (Watchmen?) so I vote for that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases