Dice bags - a few questions

sjmiller

Explorer
So, I am curious about peoples thoughts on dice bags. How big do you like them? Does it have a flat bottom? What materials make the best dice bags (leather, silk, brocade, other)? What makes a dice bag stand out? What makes you want to buy one?

Now, before people start saying "I use a Crown Royal bag" I want to be clear I am not talking about repurposing a bag to use as a dice bag. I am talking about bags specifically made to be dice bags. I am doing a bit of market research for someone, so I thought I would come to a good place to ask.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A long, long time ago, soon after I began gaming, I came across a spare piece suede and a length of plastic lacing, and I stitched together a bag. A friend of mine burned my initials into it on one hot summer afternoon at the gaming table, using a magnifying glass and the bright sunlight. I have used this bag ever since.

I've learned how to really stitch leather. And I've also looked at other dice bags. But the one I use has a lot of history, and honestly, it isn't like any other would actually do the job better. It's a bag, not a piece of equipment that benefits much from special design.

weem

First Post
I use a crown royal bag... two actually ;) Anyway, to the point... (we'll assume I don't have crown royal bags and was looking for something new)...

How big do you like them?

I would want (again) two... one to hold spare dice (maybe big enough to hold a softball) and another to hold my primary dice (maybe big enough for 10 dice or so). I would then keep the smaller bag inside the bigger bag and pull it out when I played/ran.

Does it have a flat bottom?

Doesn't matter too much to me.

What materials make the best dice bags (leather, silk, brocade, other)?

I like the fleece or felt bags I guess - though I suppose they aren't as sturdy as leather, not that it's a big deal to me though.

What makes a dice bag stand out?

Hmmm... I'm not sure any color would stand out as different... but I suppose material would. A denim bag for example would stand out to me - I'm sure they exist, but I have not seen one used.

I have a friend who uses a small tackle box (used in fishing) to hold his dice - they way it is segmented into different sections makes it work well for different dice types.

What makes you want to buy one?

Well, the crown royal bags I bought to replace others that were given to me - so there is the reasoning behind buying them. So, with regards to new bags... if they seemed unique to me that would make me want to buy them - if they were unique AND made of a sturdy material, or I felt they would last a long time, that would be even better.

;)

WalterKovacs

First Post
I have the following dice holders:

(a) I keep a block of d6's together in their original plastic case. It's easier to know I have all the dice because if I'm missing one it's obvious when the block is missing a 'brick'. Playing spellcaster, and a d6 based rpg means that sometimes all I need is d6's, or I need a lot of d6's, so it's nice to have that on it's own.

(b) I have a couple of small leather bags where I keep my dice, which are precision dice, and some expensive gem dice (the bags came with those sets). They are small enough to hold a set or two of 7-piece sets. They have a drawstring that can be wrapped up to close it. Having the small bag means I can keep my dice seperated from the rest of my dice, and I have to option to bring just those dice if I don't want to lug around my big bag.

(c) I have a felt bag that came with a dice set I purchased, for a World of Darkness game. I was playing games needing lots of d10's. My friend uses it as his dice bag, keeping the exact dice he needs for his characters. It also has a draw string, which helps keep it closed while in a larger dice bag.

(d) I have a 'pound of dice' bag which has a skull pattern on it. When filled, it has the rough shape of a skull, so it looks pretty cool actually. It allows be to carry a ton of dice which is useful when I run games because there will often be people needing dice. Also, I use dice as terrain in some situations. The bag's drawstring has one of those plastic toggles, so when it's closed, I know it will stay closed. Nothing is more annoying than picking loose dice out of the car, or the bottom of the bag with my gaming books in it.

As for the useful features, in general:

You probably ant a dice bag to be about 3/4 full, to just about busting. A bag that is half full or emptier is too big for it's own good. If the dice are packed tightly, they don't rattle around so much as grind/roll against each other, which is nicer when you move around.

In that case, you want the bag to probably form to the dice, if the bag has a flat bottom, for example, it isn't going to have as much stretch and give when you put dice in it, so it's more likely to rattle instead of hold the dice together.

The quality is probably inversely proportional to the size of the bag. If you keep a lot of dice in the bag, it's likely that none of the particular dice are that significant, it's about transporting a lot of dice at once. If it's a smaller bag, it's one or two specific sets of dice, either your only sets or your favorite set. So, the bag would probably b of a similar quality. Also, it if keeps those dice in good condition, that's a plus.

Regardless, an important thing is the ability to keep the dice bag closed while also making it easy to open it up again afterwards. If it's annoying to open it up or keep it closed (like if you need to tie it shut, for example) you'll notice it since you'll be getting dice out and putting dice away every session. With a small bag, you are probably going to empty it every time you use it, while the larger bag's dice pool is less likely to be used in it's entirety every time. So, with a larger bag, making sure the opening is large enough to be able to see an assortment of dice, and remove them without dumping the entire bag on the table is useful.

So, I am curious about peoples thoughts on dice bags. How big do you like them? Does it have a flat bottom? What materials make the best dice bags (leather, silk, brocade, other)? What makes a dice bag stand out? What makes you want to buy one?
It depends on a lot of different factors. Typically a dice bag is for transporting dice from place to place but sometimes it's just for storage. Some people only need a bag for a set from d4 to d% whereas other times the need is for bulk dice. Some people like lace and frills, other respond to skulls and leather, others don't care as long as it works. In short there is no one dice bag for everyone and anyone who produces bags needs to produce a large variety of shapes, styles, materials, & so forth.

Now, before people start saying "I use a Crown Royal bag" I want to be clear I am not talking about repurposing a bag to use as a dice bag. I am talking about bags specifically made to be dice bags.
Ah, but it's useful, even necessary to talk about using Crown Royal bags. Recently I saw someone link to this site: https://www.crownroyallabels.com/basket/landing.jsp. Custom labels on CR bags. A producer of dice bags has COMPETITION, not only from whatever people happen to find lying around but from unexpected places like that. Anyone can crudely stitch a piece of cloth or two and make a dice bag. I've done it myself and described the process in detail: Making Dice Bags. It's not as if people have a need to go to a manufacturer of any size for a solution to their dice bag needs. And there are other people out there on the web who are making money on the side sewing dice bags for people even if it's not a full-blown business enterprise.

These are things you need to consider if you're actually doing market research. You have to provide variety in size and styles to appeal across a wide spectrum and yet give people reason to spend money on what they can otherwise get for free or for very little money and effort. Good luck

Last edited:

Bold or Stupid

First Post
I use purpose bought dice bag for most of my dice, used to be velvety but is now more suede like... My six siders (I play SR so I have lots), live inside a Bagpuss pencil case.

Grymar

Explorer
A guy I used to game with made chainmail dice bags for a few of us. Empty each is more than a pound of solid gaming steel. Mine easily holds 3 full sets plus a few extra.

I'm sure it isn't gentle on the dice, but I don't have any of the expensive sets.

It isn't flat on the bottom, it isn't light, and it isn't even cheap, but sometimes form outweighs function. :)

Kez Darksun

First Post
The ones I use are black felt for the exterior and satin lined. The interior color varies, but I tend to buy a color that goes with a particular dice set. I've got a couple of 7"x5" ones that I use for my extra dice, and then I also have 3 or 4 of the 3 1/2"x3 1/2" ones that I use for my regular gaming dice. The most recent one I purchased was a Black w. Purple lining dice bag to go along with my Emerald GameScience dice. Just never really been a fan of the Crown Royal dice bags or the leather ones, so when I first saw the felt/satin lined ones, they seemed to fit perfectly for me.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
For my personal sets of dice I use while I DM, I use the "official" D&D dice bag from the D&D Premium Dice. Basically it's a small dice bag with Dungeons & Dragons sewn on it. It's a decent dice bag, not super thick but not thin and flimsy, and it feels soft. That's for my dice that I keep behind the DM screen or that I use as a player. They're the dice that nobody else touches; basically my favorite couple sets. This one I like because of the feel of it, and it looks awesome IMO (the red D&D logo on a black bag). It also stays tightly shut. I keep ~4 sets of 7 in there, along with about 4 extra d6s. I'm sure I could fit one more set in there. That's enough for both playing and DMing in the majority of cases for me, so it's a good size.

I have a fairly cheap large bag to carry the rest of the dice I have in. I bring those with me whenever I'm running a game as people tend to, invariably, need a dice set. I picked it up at a local game store, but it's basically one of these. I like it because it cost virtually nothing and holds a bunch of dice just fine. I don't really need anything fancy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases