Scales of War: Bordrin's Watch ?s

Tellerve

For those who have DM'd this scales of war adventure I have a couple questions. Or if you happen to have read it and can figure out the answers then by all means answer as well :)

1: I don't see that it was errata'd but Tusk has a standard attack that is +12 at 2d4+7 and then a secondary at +12 4d4+7. I'm assuming, and going with the fact that while they didn't fix it they really meant 2d4+7 for the secondary attack.

2: If the cave troll has someone grabbed and immobilized can they attack the hand that has them gripped? Or because of his reach are they SOL if they don't have a ranged attack? And if they did use a ranged weapon they would provoke attacks of opportunity correct? Do they stay in the space where they were grabbed, assuming he doesn't move with them? If he uses them as a weapon I figured he would 'rest' them back in the spot after swinging so you don't need to figure out their movement or position because of that.

3: Where exactly is this Nexus, as it seems like it is underneath the vents, which is 20 miles+ from Overlook and Bordrin's Watch. Why would filling up that one room do them that much good? I think I'm thinking about it a bit too much, as I also think why, if they have an escape hatch at the ceiling, why not have controls on the ceiling to flood the chamber, and release it as well. I'm not sure how they ever get the water back out otherwise.

Ok, so maybe three really isn't a question that hopefully my players will worry about, but just figured I'd ask and see what the consensus was on it.

thanks,

Goumindong

First Post
1: I don't see that it was errata'd but Tusk has a standard attack that is +12 at 2d4+7 and then a secondary at +12 4d4+7. I'm assuming, and going with the fact that while they didn't fix it they really meant 2d4+7 for the secondary attack.
4d4+7 is correct

2: If the cave troll has someone grabbed and immobilized can they attack the hand that has them gripped? Or because of his reach are they SOL if they don't have a ranged attack? And if they did use a ranged weapon they would provoke attacks of opportunity correct? Do they stay in the space where they were grabbed, assuming he doesn't move with them? If he uses them as a weapon I figured he would 'rest' them back in the spot after swinging so you don't need to figure out their movement or position because of that.

RAW no, they cannot attack unless they are adjacent. They can make an escape action if they want and you can narrate that as attacking the hand. The troll cannot OA them unless it has threatening reach rather than just reach, so ranged attacks should be O.K.

They stay in the place they were grabbed unless they're pushed/pulled/slid or the troll moves >2 squares away which negates the grab

3: Where exactly is this Nexus, as it seems like it is underneath the vents, which is 20 miles+ from Overlook and Bordrin's Watch. Why would filling up that one room do them that much good? I think I'm thinking about it a bit too much, as I also think why, if they have an escape hatch at the ceiling, why not have controls on the ceiling to flood the chamber, and release it as well. I'm not sure how they ever get the water back out otherwise.

The Nexus beyond the vents, there are a bunch of tunnels that come from all over the mountain that come into that big room at the end. The vents are the series of tunnels that lead into that complex. The orcs are planning on using those tunnels as a means into the vale which would circumvent Brodin's Watch. When you flood the room, you block off the tunnels and the orcs have to go through the pass if they want into the vale, the pass blocked by the impenetrable fortress of Brodin's watch.

Trebor62

First Post
As written Tusk is really tough to deal with. However his "tactics" blurb has him rushing to the top of the chamber, which is not tactically wise usually. If you think he will be too tough as written have him adhere to those tactics should help.

If the fight bogs down think about ending the minion reinforcements, the fight will turn into a real grind otherwise, especially if your group is slow getting to the top and flooding the room to cut off the reinforcements.

This encounter also depends alot on where the monsters enter in the first few rounds.

The easiest arrangement for the PC is to have Tusk's group emerge in front of them so that Tusk has a clear shot to the top, (assuming Tusk adhere's to his tactics as written) while the other monsters engage the PC's. If Tusk focuses on the PC's and ignores his tactics the fight is much tougher.

Tusk also appears to be more than the level 5 elite he is rated, between Brutal Offensive and Champions Scorn he would have two attacks +12 for 4d4+7 and 6d4+7, against his marked target. As written nothing stops Brutals Offensive secondary attack being against the original target, and to top it all off Tusk heals 34 points if his marked target drops to 0. If you interpret Brutal Offensive as having to attack a second target that' still two attacks dealing 8d4 + 14 total against two targets if one is marked.

If your group has powers that can keep Tusk from shifting that will cut way down on his damage output. If they do you may want to hint now Tusk "SHIFTS" and unloads an even more vicious follow up attack.

Good Luck.

Cold0

First Post
Well my group went near a TPK at the end of the Monastery of Broken Chain, fighting Og and his cronies. Only two PC escaped, leaving Kalad and the other dying PCs to their fate, after seeing the caved-in tunnel. Ok they played really bad, but Og finished the fight untouched. Now they have passed the Gauntlet (with 4 new Characters) but, or they think something smart to defeat Tusk, as pushing him in the boiling water, or their life expectations are quite low. Anyway, we play this evening so I will see what happens.

Cold0

First Post
Last night my group arrivd before the Nexus sector (V5). So far so good, even if we had some funny moments, with the Troll smashing the grabbed Barbarian against the Avenger (critical hit), and the same Barbarian humiliated by the stabbing Dark One.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases