alternate bard

one of the character concepts i've always really enjoyed in D&D is the bard. however, i've never been really satisfied with the interpretations in any of the editions, from the appendix of AD&D1 to the recently-released bard in the PHB2.

therefore i began work on a 4e variant bard. the word really began in december, despite being aware that the PHB2 would include a bard, for several reasons:

1) a player in my low-magic game expressed an interest, and even in december we knew the PHB2 bard was going to be an arcane leader, which wasn't going to work in my campaign setting.

2) i figured that i couldn't be the only GM and rules tinkerer who was interested in a low-magic alternative to the official bard--which i hasten to add is not a criticism of that class as designed. i'm merely trying to serve a niche that i think is generally under-served in D&D.

3) i needed to know if i could actually complete a class, make it look reasonably close to wizards material in terms of formatting, and have the whole be serviceable. i believe i've accomplished this.

this class is a martial leader, therefore duplicating source/role with the warlord, i know. however, i feel that the flavor and mechanics behind this class do make it stand quite a bit apart from the warlord.

as presented, i believe this is reasonably balanced, although i do not possess any FR materials.

Attachments

• bard beta release.pdf
    374.4 KB · Views: 142

DanmarLOK

First Post
It appears to be well thought out and implemented at first glance. The healing seems light for a leader class, no equivalent to the 'word' powers for the warlord, cleric and WOTC bard I mean but perhaps that fits the flavor this bard?

Some bardic magic items might be a good addition as well.

On a technical note, there's only one image in the PDF file for me but your acknowledgments and the large blank spots on some pages seem to infer there should be more?

danmark: thank you for taking the time to review this, i appreciate it! as you note, the flavor i'm after in this differs a bit from the official bard. and that's a very good point re: bard-specific magic items: i really ought to address that, esp WRT the implements.

re: images: an excellent point. the acknowledgements cover a lot of ground that doesn't specifically relate to the images, and the version of the document that is for personal use is more liberally illustrated: regrettably, i found a number of illustrations that i quite like but cannot identify rights-holder information for those works. the extra white spaces are the result of my being both lazy, yet a bit persnickety re: IP. i apologize, that was a bit clumsy of me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases