+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Harr

WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Oh dear:

Quote Originally Posted by RPGNow
    Wizards of the Coast has instructed us to suspend all sales and downloads of Wizards of the Coast titles. Unfortunately, this includes offering download access to previously purchased Wizards of the Coast titles. We are in discussions with Wizards about their decision to change their approach to digital sales of their titles and will post more information as we have it. If you would like to let Wizards know your opinion on offering D&D titles for download, we suggest the D&D Message Boards found here (linked to gleemax).
    This certainly stings me as a PDF-exclusive buyer and user of D&D.

So what could this mean in the long run...? Here are my thoughts from the WotC forums:

Very likely they're planning to start selling the PDFs online themselves so they can keep the money from online sales. So first step is to take away the permission for anybody else to sell PDFs online.

Same thing happened with all the online character generators and online D&D tools about six months before 4e was announced. And Dragon/Dungeon magazines. Remember?
    PS: I looked to see if there was already a thread on this and I couldn't find one, if there is, my apologies.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

OSR

Ignore mach1.9pants
    Woh, that is not good.

I haven't got any as yet but will do soon when my eReader arrives. How can they stop you getting copies of PDFs you have already purchased????????
    Gloria Finis

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore crazy_cat
    Does anybody know - Is this an across the board thing from WOTC covering all sellers of authorised PDFs of their material or is it just affecting RPGNOW?
    "You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore jdrakeh
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
    How can they stop you getting copies of PDFs you have already purchased????????
    One of the two major reasons that I bought WotC/TSR stuff in PDF form was specifically because I knew that RPGNow archived my past purchases for easy retrieval in case of hardware failure on my end. If WotC is forcing OBS to make those past purchases unavailable, well, 'em.

If this does come to pass, somebody up in Seattle needs to credit me for my past purchases of WotC product that still have downloads remaining. Changing an agreement after somebody purchases things might be legal but it's still a load of horse pucky.

[Edit: As for anti-piracy issues, I think all of the WotC/TSR PDFs that I've downloaded from RPGNow (even the old scans) have an embedded watermark with my name in them. This makes piracy more trouble than it's worth.]
    Last edited by jdrakeh; Monday, 6th April, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
    Non-Functional .Sig

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Jack99
    My communities:

Yeah, it's pretty odd, without giving a reason. Arguably you have the right to the product purchased, along with the number of downloads that are made available to you?

Either way, I am sure someone will let us know soon enough why this has been done, or at least undo it.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Cadfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post
    Arguably you have the right to the product purchased, along with the number of downloads that are made available to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1.9pants View Post
    Woh, that is not good.

I haven't got any as yet but will do soon when my eReader arrives. How can they stop you getting copies of PDFs you have already purchased????????
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrakeh
    If this does come to pass, somebody up in Seattle needs to credit me for my past purchases of WotC product that still have downloads remaining. Changing an agreement after somebody purchases things might be legal but it's still a load of horse pucky.
    Disclaimer: this is based on my understanding of sales in general and statements in this thread, not any specific knowledge. This isn't legal advice, etc, etc, etc.

Your contract is probably with RPGNOW, not WotC. WotC probably isn't changing anything about your contract because they can't alter a contract to which they're not a party. Most likely, RPGNOW promised you something that, in the event of a cancelation of their separate contract with WotC, they cannot honor. They probably shouldn't have done that.

Check your contract with RPGNOW.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore jdrakeh
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfan View Post
    Most likely, RPGNOW promised you something that, in the event of a cancelation of their separate contract with WotC, they cannot honor. They probably shouldn't have done that.
    I'm aware of this and agree with you to some extent but the fact that rolls downhill doesn't make WotC's decision to cancel their contract and stipulate to RPGNow that a few thousand customers be left out in the cold any easier to swallow. . .

. . . provided, of course, that the above is what actually happened. As I mention previously, it's possible that the agreement was terminated due to RPGNow refusing to sign a new distribution agreement (or some other situation thus far obscured).

All I know for certain is that RPGNow got out in front of this by providing at least some information, while WotC has been very quiet. That doesn't build any confidence.
    Non-Functional .Sig

Slumbering in Tsar
    Lama (Lvl 13)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore DaveMage
    My communities:

Did they post the new T&C for internet sales or did they just say in the press release that internet vendors had to use them?

Edit - nevermind, I found it.
    Last edited by DaveMage; Monday, 6th April, 2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Only you can prevent forest fires. That's right - you!

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Scribble
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMage View Post
    Did they post the new T&C for internet sales or did they just say in the press release that internet vendors had to use them?
    They did:

Interweb Sales Stuff

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Harr
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrakeh View Post
    All I know for certain is that RPGNow got out in front of this by providing at least some information, while WotC has been very quiet. That doesn't build any confidence.
    This more than anything else is what fascinates me about the situation. Ok, maybe WotC did the only thing it could do; maybe it took the best option it had; maybe it has something good in store eventually. But no communication, no announcement, no explanation, no warning, no indication that anything whatsoever is happening at all!

What are they thinking??

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast