WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'm willing to give WoTC the benefit of the doubt until they release a statement about what's really happening and why. I'll avoid making any conjecture or ascribing any motives until I hear what they have to say.

But, I do have to say that whatever is happening, this IS yet another PR screwup by WoTC. Have they not learned anything in the last year? If a company wants to avoid alienating customers, and avoid all the trouble and conspiracy theories and WoTC bashing that inevitably follows, they have to get the word out FIRST. This is PR 101 guys. I don't understand how they can continually make this same mistake, over and over again, and not learn from it.

Bottom line, this should have been a release from WoTC first, explaining what they were doing and why, BEFORE customers heard it from RPGNow and BEFORE customers lost access to their downloads. Their advertising machine has been running on all cylinders since the anouncement of 4E. Their R&D has been kicking ass from the start (I don't prefer 4E myself, but I can't deny that they have made a hell of a game). They however did, initially, seriously screw up their digital initiative. But, if they have done anything worse, it's been their PR. Their Public Relations have been nothing but amateur hour from the moment 4E was released.

800 lb. Gorrila or not, they can't continue to treat their customer/fan base this way and not expect repercussions.

I'm not saying this because I want WoTC to fail. On the contrary, I want them to still be around, and still making D&D (in whatever edition) 40 or 50 years from now. But if they don't start getting their house in order when it comes to PR, I don't see how they'll be able to maintain a loyal customer/fan base for that long.

I think some of the posters here are probably correct in that, at least in the short run, this action will probably cause an increase in piracy. The sad part is, it didn't have to happen. Communicate to your customer/fan base BEFORE you take such actions, and you will seriously mitigate the amount of fallout to only the standard amount that happens with any change. Come on WoTC, this should be a no-brainer!

Keith Robinson

Explorer
Paizo still seem to be selling wotc pdfs here, though only the old TSR ones, and until someone actually confirms a purchase over at paizo, we don't know if you can complete checkout.

It's a shame to have lost those from 3ed and 4ed, though WotC had (shamefully IMO) already removed the 3ed core books from sale with the release of 4ed. Hopefully they'll return.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Lost sales include pissing off your customers by invalidating their previously bought legal downloads.

But, that's not what is happening here. There nothing "invalidated" about your previously bought stuff. You paid for some data, and got that data, and still have that data. They aren't taking it back. Keep backups like you ought to, and you should have no problems.

Invalidating your contract with RPGNow for re-downloads is another issue. However, it seems like RPGNow didn't actually have the right to guarantee such access to begin with. You want to hold WotC responsible for agreements they were not party to? You think that's reasonable?

Harr

First Post
All I know for certain is that RPGNow got out in front of this by providing at least some information, while WotC has been very quiet. That doesn't build any confidence.

This more than anything else is what fascinates me about the situation. Ok, maybe WotC did the only thing it could do; maybe it took the best option it had; maybe it has something good in store eventually. But no communication, no announcement, no explanation, no warning, no indication that anything whatsoever is happening at all!

What are they thinking??

The Ghost

Explorer
. . . provided, of course, that the above is what actually happened. As I mention previously, it's possible that the agreement was terminated due to RPGNow refusing to sign a new distribution agreement (or some other situation thus far obscured).

This. It seems way too coincidental that this is occurring on the day WotC's new Internet Sales Policy goes into effect. I would contact RPGNow.com directly.

Psion

Adventurer
Uhm... I just checked out Drivethru and RPGNow, and I can buy WOTC products, still.

When does this go into effect?

(I got as far as checkout, I didn't actually try to buy anything, but if you can add them to your cart, I don't see why you can't buy...)

Well, just to test, I tried to re-download a classic product, and got a "wizards has suspended all sales" message.

Yet all products still seem available for sale, and the ones in my wishlist are still there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases