WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Harr

First Post
Soon:

"Due to increased problems with photocopying and scanning of gamebooks, WotC has decided to stop the sales and storage of all physical and/or paper-based gaming materials from stores. WotC is currently exploring other options that do not involve letting anybody else see our intellectual property for any reason at all, ever."

:D

avin

First Post
Dear Wotc_Trevor, that will solve NOTHING. That won't fix piracy. It's a step back in time, like Metallica vs Napster and now mp3 is legally sold on Internet.

You can't change evolution.

The best thing you have done against piracy is DDI, is Compendium, is CB, is making the books we need right there, under a monthly fee.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
No I was talking about Wizards. The new policy includes what was already their policy. The big difference seems to be:

1. The "proof" that they own a nrick and morter store goes directly to Wizards as opposed to through the distributors.

2. They have to sign a document.

3. Possibly some stuff about magic the gathering (I'm not sure.)

It's the same thing they've been doing forever, linked to their retailer support stuff. Which is freebies for stores, and other stuff. (They apparenly even help you create signs, and other store info material.)

Ah! I see where I'm confused. As far as I know, you haven't had to own a physical brick and mortar store to order WotC books from a distributor or sell WotC PDFs (or other products) online, you only have to possess a retail license (and whatever else your government requires you to obtain/file in order to sell goods).

If you were supposed to actually rent space or whatnot in order to be afforded the privelage of carrying WotC books, I'm not sure I've ever seen a wholesaler do very much to enforce that. The new document stipulates that you must actually maintain a brick and mortar (i.e., physical) storefront to sell WotC products online.

Last edited:

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
It just hit me what this dumbass decision is all about. Sales are less than projected for 4e and DDI and a scapegoat is needed. Think about it. It makes no sense otherwise. But if you have a boss chewing your butt off, because his boss is chewing his off, because the numbers aren't there, you need to do something, anything, to make it look like you're addressing the problem.

Since losses due to pirating are impossible to prove, (and in fact pirating may arguably lead to more sales in the long run,) its also impossible to disprove. So the lackey gives the idea to the boss who dutifully passes it along to his boss, and they all gain another business quarter to hope that something changes. The lackeys and low level bosses now its all BS, but hey, they get to keep their jobs for another few months. They make a big deal of it, send out press releases, prosecute a few people internationally in some lame attempt to strike fear into the hearts of pirates.

And all they do is piss off their ever dwindling base of customers.

By sales being less than projected, don't get me wrong. They can be through the roof. But if they are less than some spreadsheet said they had to be, based on factors not at all related to reality, heads will roll.

Who else here has worked in a big corporate environment---come on---doesn't it make sense in a dumb corporate kinda way?

Last edited:

Harr

First Post
Who else here hs worked in a big corporate environment---come on---doesnt it make sense in a dumb corporate kinda way?

It's so weird though - take the PHB1 for example. The book is already thoroughly and completely pirated. It's on every torrent site. Everybody who wanted or wants to pirates already has or can.

So what do we do... we STOP selling the official PDF... So that people who actually WANT to pay even though they don't need to, CAN'T. So that even as the book continues to be pirated every single day all over the palce, we actually stop making ANY money at all from it by pulling it completely out of the market.

And while we're at it why don't we do the same with our entire line of legacy products which aren't even being sold in a physical form in the first place.

Whaaaa?

Inferno!

Explorer
Hey WoTC, you want to prevent piracy? Stop publishing books, 'cause thats the only way to prevent it !

WoTC can and did rightfully sue those caught pirating books, but in the meantime, good job screwing over legitimate customers.

Obryn

Hero
Thing is, if you make it harder to get illegal copies of a pdf on the net, more people are likely to legitimately buy them.
Nope, not even remotely... I don't think WotC has a reasonable plan to stop piracy of their books. Back before there were legal RPG PDFs, there were illegal ones - just scanned copies, some OCR and some not. This will do absolutely zero to stop piracy, if that's the stated goal.

Unfortunately, due to recent findings of illegal copying and online distribution (piracy) of our products, Wizards of the Coast has decided to cease the sales of online PDFs. We are exploring other options for digitial distribution of our content and as soon as we have any more information I'll get it to you.
Well, I got it wrong. I was at least accepting of a financial reason, as in "We can make more selling this ourselves." If this is the reason, it's ... kind of dumb.

It'd be like a band taking their songs off iTunes because they found their album up on Bittorrent.

-O

roguerouge

First Post
What I find most annoying about this is that the honest people are being punished, and it's not going to slow down the dishonest people one bit.

Right on.

Combined with the lawsuit, this smacks of collective punishment. As a teacher, I've seen teachers pitch a snit and punish the class for the misbehavior of a few individuals. Do you know what that does? Promote solidarity amongst the students against the authority figure.

(And thank you for the XP, mach1.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
WotC_Trevor said:
Unfortunately, the truth is that due to recent findings of illegal copying and online distribution (piracy) of our products, Wizards of the Coast has decided to cease the sales of online PDFs. We are exploring other options for digitial distribution of our content and as soon as we have any more information I'll get it to you.

For almost any other reason, I would support this move. The PDF market for D&D books is borked, in large part because of the nasty catch-22 about pricing PDF's the same as physical books in order to not cannibalize physical book sales (and thus making the PDF purchase drastically unappealing, but suitable for a niche).

I speak with 100% confidence when I say that this will not do what you want it to, and will have much more negative repercussions than even theoretically possible positive ones.

Piratecat said:
What I find most annoying about this is that the honest people are being punished, and it's not going to slow down the dishonest people one bit.

That's pretty much exactly what piracy paranoia always does: screw over the folks who play by the rules, without hurting the pirates at all.

WotC needs to seriously fire whatever suits are trying to turn back the clock from the praise-worthy openness and exploration of most of the last 10 years.

The reaction to a problem like this should be "how can we make it work?" not "it's not working for reasons XYZ and so must be stopped!"

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
It's so weird though - take the PHB1 for example. The book is already thoroughly and completely pirated. It's on every torrent site. Everybody who wanted or wants to pirates already has or can.

So what do we do... we STOP selling the official PDF... So that people who actually WANT to pay even though they don't need to, CAN'T. So that even as the book continues to be pirated every single day all over the palce, we actually stop making ANY money at all from it by pulling it completely out of the market.

And while we're at it why don't we do the same with our entire line of legacy products which aren't even being sold in a physical form in the first place.

Whaaaa?

Which fits my theory above. Circling the wagons of 4e, trying to do everything they can to increase 4e sales, which are not as good as projected. Believe it or not, there are some people who will never ever download a pirated book. So if they have to spend 20 bucks on something RPG-wise for D&D, why give them a way NOT to spend it on 4e?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases