WotC puts a stop to online sales of PDFs

Caerin

First Post
Personally, I'd see Wizards as more of a hero than as the villian of this tale. Its not what they do that has made them loose their status as a leader, but how they do it.

For my money, if this move does end up being part of legal gamesmanship- for example, to show actual damages, loss of goodwill, and so on in court- I'll be sorely disappointed.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
A thought ...

At what point do the printed books (and corresponding PDFs) become unnecessary?

Here I am viewing the printed books as an assembly of D&D information that is printed out. A PDF may be viewed similarly as an assembly of D&D information that is placed into an electronic document.

I think that we are in the midst of a fundamental shift of how D&D information is provided to customers. The older style is to provide books (and by extension, PDFs). A newer style is to have the information available as an assembly in only the DDI. The only printed materials will be on-demand subsets of the information. That is: scenario printouts, character sheets, power cards with complete information for a single power. The most that will be printed for rules information will be small primers to get started with.

Under the new scheme, the only access to the complete rules is by subscription.

The new scheme has the benefit that all assemblages of D&D Information other than the DDI are copyright violations. Period.

That is consistent with the sparseness of the MM and PHB: These are light scrapings of the DDI information to get folks into the game, and as a transition to the new DDI format. A point-in-time sampling of the newest material, and nothing more.

If all assemblages are copyright violations, then a transition will be necessary where these are removed from the market.

Note that if assemblages are copyright violations, that makes detecting violations rather trivial.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Could you post the list over here? I can't get there from here, but am burning with curiosity. :)

-O

Wizards Community - View Single Post - WotC halts sales/downloads from rpgnow.com
SYB said:
I decided to do some research. I don't blame WotC. I blame the following individuals:

Stefan Osmena
Thomas Patrick Nolan
Mike Becker
Arthur Le
Krysztof Radzikowski
John Doe 1
John Doe 2
John Doe 3

According to US District Court for the Western District of Washington, these are the defendants in the three lawsuits WotC filed yesterday. The case numbers are C09-0459TSZ, C09-0461RSM, and C09-0460RSM.

-SYB

Wizards Community - View Single Post - WotC halts sales/downloads from rpgnow.com
Steve Wieck of drivethrunow said:
Wizards gave us legal notice to remove their titles. Due to what I'll characterize as a miscommunication on intent, we complied immediately and removed all public access to Wizards' products from DriveThruRPG and RPGNow. In turns out this was not a situation that either we or Wizards desired. I am in discussions with Wizards legal and it looks highly probable that we will be able to offer customers time to come back and re-download prior purchases for their personal archives. We will email and post information on sites once we have final confirmation on this.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, on the one hand, it's been less than 48 hours. I know it feels like more, here in the message board bubble, but that's an eyeblink.
Actually....in sales and marketing, that is an eternity.

On the other hand, I think it's pretty irresponsible that they wouldn't have had something official posted right when the plug was pulled. That just seems like common sense to me... And, no, some guy on a message board - even if he does have "WotC" in his handle - making occasional posts on a forum isn't what I'd call adequate communication.
I agree. This whole thing has felt very unprofessional, from a consumer's point of view anyway. It makes me wonder what's going on higher up the ladder.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
This quote just needs repeating:

Originally Posted by Steve Wieck of drivethrunow
Wizards gave us legal notice to remove their titles. Due to what I'll characterize as a miscommunication on intent, we complied immediately and removed all public access to Wizards' products from DriveThruRPG and RPGNow. In turns out this was not a situation that either we or Wizards desired. I am in discussions with Wizards legal and it looks highly probable that we will be able to offer customers time to come back and re-download prior purchases for their personal archives. We will email and post information on sites once we have final confirmation on this.

But, but, that means that ... WOTC isn't the evil bastards that everyone keeps repeating that they are. That means, err, *shudder* someone made a mistake and WOTC had nothing to with it. Naw, can't be. You can't fool me. WOTC is just out to screw gamers and make a quick buck in the meantime. It's not like anyone would try to cash in on the ill will generated to make a quick buck, would they?

Remove ads