My name is "Defendant Radzikowski"

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
So first they attack a minor in the Philippines, and now they're going after some guy in Poland? And NONE of the defendants have been notified of the court case, either.

Did WotC even look at the court case before they lunged foward?

...Also, isn't it illegal to name a minor in court case papers?

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
So first they attack a minor in the Philippines, and now they're going after some guy in Poland? And NONE of the defendants have been notified of the court case, either.

Did WotC even look at the court case before they lunged foward?

...Also, isn't it illegal to name a minor in court case papers?

Court cases work like this. You file first at the court, and then a process server attempts to send official notification to the defendants. The filing at the court happens first. You worry about getting in touch with them before the actual trial, not before things are filed. You have to file first before contacting them. Here's the first step of a lawsuit from Wikipedia

A lawsuit begins when a complaint is filed with the court. This complaint will state that one or more plaintiffs is seeking damages or equitable relief from one or more stated defendants, and will identify the legal and factual bases for doing so. The clerk of a court signs a summons, which is then served by the plaintiff upon the defendant, together with a copy of the complaint. This service notifies the defendants that they are being sued and that they have a specific time limit to file a response. By providing a copy of the complaint, the service also notifies the defendants of the nature of the claims. Once the defendants are served with the summons and complaint, they have a time limit to file an answer identifying their defenses to the plaintiff's claims, including any challenges to the court's jurisdiction, and any counterclaims they wish to assert against the plaintiff.

I think it's only illegal to name a minor in criminal cases, not civil cases. And I think for Criminal, in the US, it varies by state and district (and likely the crime).

Last edited:

aboyd

Explorer
I can say for sure that no international law can prevail over brazilian law, for example, creating some sanction that exists on US but does not exist on Brasil.
Except that Brazil signed the Berne Convention, which means that they specifically have created a "Brazilian law" to agree to honor copyright rulings from other countries.

Enerla

First Post
Guys, really. Copyright does not magically disappear once you hop across an ocean. This is not the Dukes of Hazzard, and you are not on a moonshine run.

Poland is a signatory to the Berne Convention, and everything that implies.

Recognizing copyright and having he same laws or letting US law apply in poland is very different. Poland, Hungary, etc recognizes the copyright, but says licencing for personal copies are authorized by a representative of copyright holder assigned by the state, this representation is mandatory.

THEN these agencies print small holographic labels to put on devices you can use to reproduce books, and also on supplies for printers, etc. for a fee (it can be huge fee) to authorize personal copies made.

The fee is paid even if you use a printer to print invoices for a company, you pay it when you print your own photos, etc. so the money is quite significant and it covers the licence fees.

Part of this money is sent to USA to an agency to distribute between publishers there.

This is how the system works.

Fair use - which is recognized by international copyright agreements - is another thing he can explore.

If he can show that the game can only be played in a suggested medium, in the normal way (not all people buying all the books, including modules) it is played and WOTC is markets that, he can claim the copying that is "required" for such normal use of the product should be covered by the permissions, since wotc sold the product for its use, saying otherwise later isn't enforcable.

If you sell directly to poland such limits from poland or any other european country should be obeyed by international treaties. And it is strong reasoning, since if they don't allow any copying (even if they are required), how the print optimized books work? How can you open the file (copy it to your RAM), etc?

By making the product work this way if you use it for its (advertised) purpose that is: the copyright owner giving permission through his actions taken while designing the product and offering it this way (and advertising it this way).

So far in Hungary many music publishers tried to sue major dc hubs, torrent sites, claiming that p2p is distribution, but the court always said: no it is personal copying and people pay a licence fee through central authority to permit such copying, so nothing illegal happened.

(With software you can only make backup copy, no centralized licensing for that... sadly)

Did it make us not recognizing copyright? No.
But it did make the copy a licenced and authorized copy.

Why? Because when

Circumventing a copy protection scheme, modifying the copyrighted work, etc. is a different story, etc.

I think the key concern here isn't only abour piracy. I don't play D&D 4e, nor 3e, so for me it isn't that interesting. But people who do play, want to attract new players and for this they offer demo groups.

Thanks to competition from online vendors (amazon for example) many stores and clubs where that was possible were closed, and wizards is switching its attention to online medium.

In an online demo group of the full game where only the DM has the rulebook you can't avoid sending parts of copyrighted material required to play the game.

Why? The game, and the current tools, current electronic versions are designed this way.

PDF is great. But most people can't extract the few pages the demo players need for the game. It is part of the design of the products, and it is one of the key problems.

With your DRM free copy, you could have a 2nd copy with a very restrictive drm (with timed licences acquired on opening) for using the book with friends or in demo groups in online play. Without this 2nd, protected copy, your only chance is to send them the watermarked unprotected copy.

Simply: Wizards is a huge organization, and people who made this decision probably doesn't play the game, so didn't knew these problems, they made bad decisions, and now suing minors.

I am not only concerned about these people, but I am concerned, that with this no more people will be willing to demo games online, noone will run games online, if they have to share files (show handouts) with players, etc. so the move is destructive and not only for the 8 defendants.

Shadowsong666

First Post
Except that Brazil signed the Berne Convention, which means that they specifically have created a "Brazilian law" to agree to honor copyright rulings from other countries.

sorry, but i think you get it wrong. I am no lawyer and may be mistaken, but as i understood the berne convention it simply tells that things under copyright in other countries get handled as if they had copyright in your own country. There is no way that a US court can sentence me to 3million dollars and that a german court would simply say "ok". Afaik it gets handled under the nations own laws.

Blue Sky

Explorer
Huh. I find it funny that the "innocent sharer" not just shares pdf's with friends, but also a screen name. A guy with the exact same screen name runs Chaos Wasteland, a bittorrent tracker that offers hundreds of pdfs from D&D, Shadowrun, and WoD, amongst others.

But that's just a coincidence, right?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Huh. I find it funny that the "innocent sharer" not just shares pdf's with friends, but also a screen name. A guy with the exact same screen name runs Chaos Wasteland, a bittorrent tracker that offers hundreds of pdfs from D&D, Shadowrun, and WoD, amongst others.

But that's just a coincidence, right?

For what it's worth, there's a lot of Professor Cirnos out there who arn't me.

Remove ads