Professional GM: Possible Return

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
You know this is a brainstorming thread for ideas and not an advertising thread, right?
Yup but you know what I was getting at also :)

Hereticus is right about placing samples of writing on the business site. I'll definitely do that.

As for references and having a reputation, that's what meetup.com brings to the table.

My moniker makes people happy. I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of. Especially for an entertainer.

Anyway...

I'm fiddling with how I handle client fees. I want things to be fair for the client while protecting me from being taken advantage of. Tell me what you think.

Let's use the following price for example. $72 for a pre-made adventure session estimated to run 4 to 5 hours.

At the end of the first hour (not the beginning), a client must pay at least $15 of the fee. At the end of each half hour afterwards, an increasing fraction of the payment becomes mandatory in increments.

The client doesn't have to pay full price if the session is cut short or becomes unsatisfactory. The initial presentation is guaranteed to be satisfactory or no fee is demanded during the first hour.

I won't lose too much if the client ends the session prematurely.

The client doesn't have to worry about the session being rushed or prolonged. I can focus on making the experience fun and immersive instead of worrying about the time.

Charge a flat fee but if you want players with an out chage 20% up front and the reat on completion of the adventure. Though I would reccomend charging up front. Let people know that is what you are doing.
If you convinced me to pay you to DM I would be happy enough to pay for one session up front. If I was not satisfied then I would not give any repeat business.

Anything too fiddly just give people room to argue. One key thing is to ensure that all players are on the same wavelength from the beginning.

Charge a flat fee but if you want players with an out chage 20% up front and the reat on completion of the adventure. Though I would reccomend charging up front. Let people know that is what you are doing.
If you convinced me to pay you to DM I would be happy enough to pay for one session up front. If I was not satisfied then I would not give any repeat business.

Well it's not just about client satisfaction. If for some reason everyone had to leave prematurely (a pregnant woman giving birth for example), I would be screwed if we finished most of the session and I only wound up with 20%. The incremental % mandatory fee over the course of the session (tallied at the end if the session is ended early) is a safety net for earnings.

This is a fair plan for both me and the clients.

It's ultimately a flat fee plan that protects both parties.

I'm going to make it a player limit of 7. I'm leaning towards making $84 the maximum fee per standard 4 to 5 hour session because it's easily divisible 1 to 7 ways. $16.80 at the end of the first hour and an additional $16.80 expected at the middle of each following hour if the session is ended prematurely, up to the set maximum of $84. Added up at the end of the session, whether the adventure is completed or not. No extra charge if the session time goes over the estimated session length as long as the adventure gets completed and the client(s) is satisfied. If for some reason I choose to end a session myself prematurely, the session fee will be waived (not likely to happen ever).

War games will probably be a flat price.

DM consultation/tutorial services should be paid by hour.

Campaign design work for busy DMs should be a flat fee depending on the scope of the client request.

I'm leaning towards "Storyteller Solutions" as the business name and game coordinator/storyteller as my personal title.

I might add standard paid storytelling to my services, possibly performing for children. I have a reference as a church Sunday School teacher so that could help. I also have a good, clean record for background checks. Perhaps a puppet show...

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I'm going to make it a player limit of 7.

I would keep the maximum number of players to 5 or less. 6 or more players slows combat enough where I’ve noticed the game is dragging and follows the “too many cooks” adage in roleplaying situations.

I also think it will work best if you can find an established group to run games for instead of pickup games. When I moved to my hometown after college I formed a bunch of roleplaying groups and it took a long while before we found enough players that had matching play styles and who liked each others company. If I joined one of your games and didn’t get lucky enough to play with people who had similar play styles and meshing personalities, I wouldn’t return to your table.

As a side note, if I was a potential client of yours the games you run would have to be excellent to keep me paying. With most games free, I don’t think I could justify paying for an average quality game when I could probably find or run an average quality game.

Good luck on your endeavor. I’m skeptical about your chances of making any money—let alone a living out of this but I hope it goes well for you!

Wednesday Boy

5. Design work for character backgrounds and homebrew settings. Some DMs might be too busy to flesh out their games as much as they would like to. Fee will vary depending on the scope of work requested. (minimum $20)

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean but this sounds like a fee for fleshing out your character. That sort of extra cost for making a better developed character would make me hesitant to join one of your games.

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean but this sounds like a fee for fleshing out your character. That sort of extra cost for making a better developed character would make me hesitant to join one of your games.

It's not an extra cost. It's a different service altogether. That fee would be for helping out someone else's campaign. I'm not just selling one type of service with the business.

Most of my potential clients will likely be people who've probably never played DnD before or don't have the time or inclination for a regular group.

Anyway, one of the big sells other than guaranteed quality of service is that I would be available at time slots that are difficult to find game masters for. I'd be available to start games anytime from 11 AM to 7 PM. At most a 12 hour game from 11 to 11. Unless I find a job, potentially one could hire me for an all-week series of 12 hour games.

Today's Activities:

Inquire at local Lane Bryant store about possible position opening (I found a possibly recent ad). Wish me luck. (sigh)

Start setting up web site for business. A set of multiple basic livejournal accounts linked to each other (?). I'll need advice and feedback on this later.

Make business cards at Staples (?).

Complete at least one of the first adventures to be offered on the site when the business is launched (next week maybe?).

Janx

Hero
Before you settle on a name, check to see if it exists as a website, and as a Trademark. 'Storyteller' may be registered by WhiteWolf, so you need to do your homework.

Wednesday Boy

It's not an extra cost. It's a different service altogether. That fee would be for helping out someone else's campaign. I'm not just selling one type of service with the business.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I thought you meant they would have to pay extra for you to help delve into their character's backstory. Nevermind!! :)

Last edited:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
UPDATE
I'm thinking about going with the name "Storyteller Solutions" for the business. I'm leaning towards "game coordinator" for my personal title on business cards.

The services will include:
4. LFR modules (As soon as my RPGA membership comes through and I take the Herald test).

"Storyteller" to gamers sounds like a White Wolf GM, while to non-gamers may invoke thoughts of some kind of after-school type or daycare program at the library. IMO.

I'm not too sure it's kosher to charge what you're planning to charge for RPGA modules. I believe if you check the RPGA rules you are allowed to charge only a buck or two per player per adventure to cover actual expenses. Conventions get away with this because the entry fee for the convention is just to pay for the space (and make money) and the actual event tickets are $1-2.

"Storyteller" to gamers sounds like a White Wolf GM, while to non-gamers may invoke thoughts of some kind of after-school type or daycare program at the library. IMO.

I'm not too sure it's kosher to charge what you're planning to charge for RPGA modules. I believe if you check the RPGA rules you are allowed to charge only a buck or two per player per adventure to cover actual expenses. Conventions get away with this because the entry fee for the convention is just to pay for the space (and make money) and the actual event tickets are $1-2.

Actually, I will be likely marketing more to people unfamilar with White Wolf than those who are. I may actually add standard storytelling for children to my offered services. My background and references might actually be enough for standard storytelling work.

I've looked over the RPGA rules - nothing about charging fees for DM services. If I've missed it then please point out the section where it says you can't charge much. It's a person's time being sold, not the product itself, and a professional game master is not exactly a common thing so there isn't any point to have such a ruling.

The reason why conventions get away with it is because most if not all of the DMs are there on a voluntary once in a while basis. Plus no guarantee of quality service from what I've read. Also, it might be a rule that at a con you can't charge a lot but I'm offering a private service for clients who pay for my time, not running a con game.

TODAY'S UPDATE

1. I'm officially a Herald level event organizer for the RPGA. Huzzah! :cool:

2. I'm trying to finalize my pricing today. :eek:

This is what I'm leaning on after some thought and getting feedback.

$105 total for a standard 5-6 hour original or published adventure - published adventures will be enhanced to provide a better quality experience.

$189 total for a special extended session lasting from 10 to 12 hours.

$63 total to run an LFR module (4 hour adventure) + an additional $21 to run a second module on the same day + an additional $21 to run a third module on the same day.

I've decided to replace the "special miniatures wargame" service with a continuous dungeon delving service with a flat fee based on how many dungeon levels are requested. $42 total for the first 3 dungeon levels + $10.50 for each additional dungeon level. Each dungeon level averaging 1 hour to complete and featuring exciting combat, problem-solving, and innovative use of terrain (some including moving terrain and/or 3d terrain).

Payment up front upon arrival. Satisfaction guaranteed or refund given.

Minimum $21 kept at the end of every standard and extended session if at least 1 hour has been played to prevent abuse of services.

Minimum $63 kept at end of extended session if at least 5 hours have been played.

For LFR modules - no refund per module upon distribution of official player character rewards from each module run. People won't necessarily play for the extra visuals and performance acting and gaming materials I bring to the session. They might pay for standard or extended regular games after trying an LFR module with me though.

For dungeon delving - minimum $21 kept at the end of session. Minimum $42 kept if additional levels are played after the first 3.

Actual storytelling for children - depends on story requested - I'll be figuring this one out later.

Last edited:

Remove ads