Optimization help for Warlock/Cleric

SnowHeart

First Post
Some notes:

Practiced Spellcaster has no effect on a warlock. They are not a spellcaster, even though they have a caster level. They do not cast spells.

What is the feat Epic Eldrich Blast? If it is a general epic feat you qualify, if it depends on a certain class level you don’t – you are not an epic level warlock (not 20+ levels of warlock)
Interesting note on the Practiced Spellcaster issue. The mechanics are confusing and the errata for the class didn't quite help me clear it up. I'll look it over again. Honestly, I was thinking of swapping it for Cleric at one point anyway, but now I'm looking at Drowbane's build and might just dump the feat entirely.

The epic Eldritch Blast is from an article on WotC's site for epic warlock builds with a series of feats. It does not require (at least the way I read it) 20 levels of warlock. It just gives an extra 1d6 to the blast. However, that was with an assumption that the practiced spellcaster feat applied, which would have taken him to an effective level (with the original build) of 21, so maybe in the absence of that the feat wouldn't be available anyway. Oh well. Like I said, Drowbane's build is interesting to me; I looked over the excerpts on the WotC site and ordered the Fiendish Codex II last night.

P.S., Someone had asked how the abilities were generated... they are from a 32-point buy with +5 points from 20 HD.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
Interesting note on the Practiced Spellcaster issue. The mechanics are confusing and the errata for the class didn't quite help me clear it up. I'll look it over again. Honestly, I was thinking of swapping it for Cleric at one point anyway, but now I'm looking at Drowbane's build and might just dump the feat entirely.

From the FAQ

What effect would the Practiced Spellcaster feat (CAr 82) have on a warlock?

A strict reading of the feat’s benefit indicates that the warlock would gain no benefit from Practiced Spellcaster. The warlock is not a spellcasting class for normal purposes—the exception noted on page 18 of CAr applies only to prestige class benefits—and thus it could not be selected as the class to be affected by this feat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First, Precise Shot has a prereq of Point Blank Shot, which I don't see on your list.

May I suggest that instead of dropping WF (ranged touch), you add Reach Spell as a feat? That will let you turn touch spells into ranged touch spells...and with your WF (Ranged Touch), you can use them accurately.

Thus you won't only be zapping foes with your Eldritch Blasts, you could be buffing your allies as well!

(While I'm in here, though, in which books do you find Quickened Spell-like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability? My books are in storage, and its relevant to a question that came up recently.)

Theroc

First Post
(While I'm in here, though, in which books do you find Quickened Spell-like Ability and Empower Spell-Like Ability? My books are in storage, and its relevant to a question that came up recently.)

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add on the main topic, but I can answer Danny.

I found those two Feats in the D20SRD under the category of "Monster Feats"

irdeggman

First Post
Another feat chain suggestion..

The heritage feat chain from Complete Mage.

The Fiendish heritage chain looks to be the best match.

Fiendish Herititage {a prerequisite for the rest of the chain of feats, must be evil} - +4 to Fort saves against poison, +1 to saving throws against spells or effects produced by good creatures.

Fiendish Power {This is the one you want to have, but need Fiendish Heritage as a prerequisite} - +1 caster level and saves for evil spells and warlock invocations.

Fiendish Resistance - gain fire and acid resistance equal to 3 x number of feats that have Fiendish Heritage as prequisite. This stacks with almost all other sources, except for magic and magic items (specifically it stacks with the resistances granted by class).

Fiendish Presence {additional prequisite 6th level} - gains teh following 1/day: cause fear, detect thoughts, suggestion

Fiendish Legacy {additional prerequisite 9th level} - gain the following 1/day: teleport (self only plus objects carried), Summmon Monster V (fiendish creatures only), unholy blight.

As a minimum I would take Fiendish Heritage and Fiendish Power.

There is also the fey chain (prequisite of nonlawful alignment)

Heritage gets +3 to will saves against enchantment spells

Power gets plus to enchantment spells and warlock invocations

Fey skin (instead of fiendish resistance) - DR/cold iron equal to number of fey heritage feats (also stacks like the resistance does)

Presence - gets charm monster, deep slumber, disguise self

Legacy gets - confusion, dimension door, summon nature's ally V

Something interesting is that nothing states you can't have heritage feats from multiple paths, if you can afford to spend the feats that is.

SnowHeart

First Post
Guys (and gals), you rock. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll have the FCII soon and will post the revised stats based on an Ur-Priest/Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple build. Definitely appreciate the help and advice. :D

Edit: Ran into a small issue, although it's probably something that is up to the DM. The Eldritch Theurge has a special requirement that you must worship a chaotic or evil deity, yet the Ur-Priest description is of one that despises and hates gods. There's no game-mechanic requirement that the Ur-Priest has "no god" but I think it's implied. :-/

Last edited:

rgard

Adventurer
Guys (and gals), you rock. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll have the FCII soon and will post the revised stats based on an Ur-Priest/Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple build. Definitely appreciate the help and advice. :D

Edit: Ran into a small issue, although it's probably something that is up to the DM. The Eldritch Theurge has a special requirement that you must worship a chaotic or evil deity, yet the Ur-Priest description is of one that despises and hates gods. There's no game-mechanic requirement that the Ur-Priest has "no god" but I think it's implied. :-/

For the issue...You can use the 'Adaptation' part of the class description:

"Secret societies of Ur-Priests could exit for the express purpose of elevatating (or re-elevating) someone or something to godhood."

The someone or something could be the chaotic or evil deity worshipped. I guess it would work best with 're-elevating'. That should help you reconcile the two requirements.

The quote above comes from the Complete Divine version of the Ur-Priest. The Book of Vile Darkness version may be worded differently.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads