GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunmaster

First Post
Hi,

I read this blog post :

http://www.livingdice.com/1639/gts-2009-dungeons-and-dragons-seminar

and thought that it would be interesting for this community.

I want to quote so that you don't have to go there but can just comment here:
Scott Rouse D&D Sr. Brand Manager put on a one hour seminar regarding 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. I am liveblogging, so forgive spelling errors.
2008 Global Brand Study US and Canada and part of Europe.
Aided Awareness 89% (brand recognition)
80% WOW
89% D&D
54% have played D&D
94% think D&D is the same or better than other games (WOW, etc)
56% of respondents have high interest in buying D&D products in the next six months
For 2009 will continue to market to existing players and hope to have a halo effect on other new gamers. Three new titles for this year, MM2, PHB2, DMG2. There will be a greater focus on creating new game groups, either through creating new DMs or aid in organizing game groups.
Focus on marketing to support the “2″ books. Game days, targeted advertising (primarily online), new D&D website, web strategy and community building are all part of the plan. The Penny-Arcade podcast drove 700k to the D&D website. Marketing will focus on bloggers and podcasters. PHB2 sold out in one week. More in stock on 4-30-09. D&D game day took took long to run encounters and paragon level PCs were a bad idea. Monster Manual 2 comes out May 19, 2009. Rust Monster and Frost Giant will be back. Divine Power’s PCs will be available for the next game day. DMG2 contains, traps, hazards and new locations. Robin Laws will have a chapter on storytelling in 4E. They have received feedback that the 4e game is a tactical wargame with limited role-playing.
DMG2 game day will have players creating encounters and then playing them the same day in the store. More organized play, Delve Night, Game Days and Living ForgottenRealms. Delve Night numbers are fading, WOTC wants more stickiness to make players come back. Plans web-based DM/player game “meet-up” page. “Organized Play” rewards for new and veteran DMs. Training videos for new DMs, such as table management tips.
“Dungeons and Dragons Insider” has doubled subscribers base since January. Overview of existing D&D Insider features. future applications include “Campaign Tools” for monsters, enounters, maps and adventures for DMs. “Eberron Player’s Guide” comes out 6-16-09. “Eberron Campaign Guide” coues out 7-21-09. August “D&D Minis Dungeon Lords” with huge minis comes out. “E3:prince of Undeath” module comes out 10-20-09. The final battle with Orcus! There were a few questions for retailers, but nothing notable. Will post more later tonight. I will also try to get the entire release schedule for this year and post it.

Badwe

First Post
Exciting stuff, almost wish I could have listened to it myself. Definitely like the sound of some of those things coming down the pipe.

Dire Bare

Legend
Good Stuff! Thanks for posting this. While WotC made some serious missteps with 4e's launch, it looks to me like they have some solid and excellent plans to grow the game this year. Specifically, I'm liking what I hear of their plans for the website.

My only remaining 4e unhappiness is that I can't purchase digital copies of the adventures they have put out so far . . . I held off purchasing the physical copies with the eventual intent of buying the PDFs. Although I'm confident WotC will have some sort of digital distribution in place by late this year or early next (outside of the crunchy bits already on the Compendium).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I'll slide this into the temp forum for WotC policies.

Eww, seems an odd place to put this. This is of more general value and I'm already accustomed to thinking of this forum as the "Bitch about PDF Policy" ghetto.

(Maybe it's just me-- but it's in the forum title after all.)

Harlekin

First Post
Let's keep positive threads in open

Eww, seems an odd place to put this. This is of more general value and I'm already accustomed to thinking of this forum as the "Bitch about PDF Policy" ghetto.

(Maybe it's just me-- but it's in the forum title after all.)

I agree. Moving it into the ghetto will only associate it with the pdf issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases