Kingdom of Jade

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
My thoughts on cults:

It’s not enough for the Oni to be a military threat to the Kingdom of Jade. They are also working to destabilize their society, for while it would be a great victory to conquer the Kingdom, it would be even greater to have its people willingly submit to the shadow. As such, several of the more powerful Oni have founded cults dedicated to themselves within the Kingdom itself. While the current philosophy of self-denial makes recruiting difficult, there are still those willing to listen. The cults target those who are dissatisfied with the current status-quo: Genasi who desire their previous influence, human merchant families who desire to advance their station, or Tieflings who are already suspected of being in league with the shadow. These cults are widespread and highly decentralized, and while the authorities have apprehended many cells, they are no closer to finding the roots of the corruption.

In addition, some of the lesser Oni have started their own cults. Some are acting in imitation of their masters, while others are simply seeking to increase their own power. Some of these cults have begun acting hostile towards the others, occasionally going as far as actually attacking each other. While this may seem counter to the Oni’s plans, in fact it is not. Any destabilizing of the society furthers the goals of the shadow.

Here are a couple sample cults:

The Order of the Radiant Circle:
To many, the Order of the Radiant Circle is simply a society of Genasi astrologers and philosophers. While many of the Order’s members were once nobles deeply involved with the Empire’s politics, now they seem content to spend their days star/belly-gazing. However, in truth the Order is one of the more dangerous cults operating in the Kingdom. Its members seek to cause a civil uprising that will restore them to their previous power. They have built up their core of true believers, and now they are working to turn a handful of carefully chosen Dragonborn generals to their cause, either through corruption or blackmail. Their patron is a monstrously powerful Oni known as the Lady of Famine.

The Blood-Etched:
Unlike many other cults, most of the members of the Blood-Etched are unaware that they serve the Oni. Its members, mostly Tieflings disenfranchised by the current state of affairs in the Kingdom, believe that they are in simply in a street gang that provides an outlet for their anger and gives them somewhere they belong. Even the gang’s leaders don’t know the identity of the hooded man who leads them in rituals and occasionally directs their attacks against specific targets.

ukingsken

First Post
I really like that you've kept things open and vague. I very much agree the Oni would be attempting to destabilize the society as well, and love the classic-ness (Great english I know) of evil turning upon itself and having the cults infighting.

Sounds excellent to me. Any thoughts from the rest of the community?

Atanatotatos

First Post
I like the flavor very much. Keep the thread going, I think it deserves it. I'd really like to adventure in the KoJ eventually, and maybe even DM and adventure that takes place there sooner or later.

ukingsken

First Post
Well when I get back to my room tomorrow at night I'm going to kind of add in everything thats been discussed so far, and every now and then as stuff happens in my adventure I'll add on. Also KOJ is awesome!

Atriden

First Post
How did I miss this thread?

Well, anyway I wanted to say that there is a lot of good ideas for the kingdom and I really like the notion that some cults have different ambitions and this creates dispute amongst themselves (As Ukingsken said, evil turning on it self).

Feel free to use anything you like from Atreus' background :D

ukingsken

First Post
The Wiki has been edited to include everything discussed here so far. If you could all take a look and reccomend/edit any refinements.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
I was just curious, from DM's and those who have ventured there, what religions have been established in The Jade Kingdom aside from the cults. Are they using the Dauntonion Gods or are they more into systems closer to Shinto and Confucianism?

ukingsken

First Post
It's been left fairly vague as of now. There is a long history of demon worship because of the shadow taint. Beyond that it's kind of open although I would lean towards some form of ancestor worship were I planning on developing it as that lends itself to the current oriental flavor of the region.

Remove ads