Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

Sigurd

First Post
I may be just irritable today but I'm ticked at the stupid combined words the game seems to be filled with. eg Greataxe instead of Great Axe.

It happens all over where two perfectly good words that work together by time honoured rules of english get pushed into one new word for no good reason I can think of. Someone in the legal department might like that you make a whole new word from a combination but it's terrible language.

There is nothing wrong with Great Club, Great Axe etc.... I've also seen it creep into other parts of the game.

I now have a new house rule. Stupidly spelled english weapons etc receive a -1 penalty. Better get them spelled right.

Sigurd

Last edited:

Spellfire.

Dragonlance.

Ravenloft.

Or look through the monster manual. About a quarter of the critters in there have a compound word addendum, or at least that's how it feels. This led us to creating in our game "thunderdeath furywheat," because in 4th edition, normal wheat just isn't awesome enough.

Last edited:

Keenath

Explorer
This is of far less importance than the fact that they are still using "falchion" to describe a great-scimitar. A falchion is a specifically ONE HANDED french weapon that could best be described as a war machete.

Klaus

First Post
This is of far less importance than the fact that they are still using "falchion" to describe a great-scimitar. A falchion is a specifically ONE HANDED french weapon that could best be described as a war machete.
Wouldn't that be a warmachete?

:D

This is nothing new. Back in the early 90s we had Image Comics creating HIP! COOL! characters like Ripclaw, Warblade, Stormwatch, Riptide, Shadowhawk, etc.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Someone in the legal department might like that you make a whole new word from a combination but its terrible language.

Um, dude, it's not good to make grammatical errors when chiding others on language use. Just sayin'.

Remove ads