Sneak Attack Damage and Critical Hits

Felon

First Post
One of my fellow players and DM's is of a mind that extra damage applied after a damage roll--such as by sneak attack, hunter's quarry, or warlock curse--isn't maximized by a critical hit. Is this an official exception to the rules for crits, and if so can someone cite the relevant clarification?

-Avalon-

First Post
My group always rolls the "extras" into the crit, so they are maxed as well... the only things you roll are the extra [w] rolls, and the crit adds from weapon (IE +1d6 per enhancement)... we don't roll anything else, it is all maxed.

But I don't know if this is a house-rule of ours, or if it is actual rules.

abyssaldeath

First Post
PHB FAQ said:
11. Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized. If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal.​

Hope that helps.

Norseman16469

First Post
It's detailed on page 278 of the Players Handbook.
There are 2 relevant passages for your question.
The first says you do Maximum damage: Rather than roll damage, you determine the maximum damage you can roll with the attack.

The second is Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage you deal when you score a crit. If the EXTRA DAMAGE is a die roll, then it's not autmatically max damage, you add the result of the roll.

Sneak attack, warlocks curse and Hunters quarry all say they are extra damage die/dice and therefore should be rolled.

Hope this helps.

Nail

First Post
One of my fellow players and DM's is of a mind that extra damage applied after a damage roll--such as by sneak attack, hunter's quarry, or warlock curse--isn't maximized by a critical hit.
They are wrong, as is Norseman16469.

...that last is particularly surprising, as he sited the relevant passages. Perhaps if he read them more slowly? ;)

Nail

First Post
So.....
PH1-p276 said:
Critical Hit: If you roll a natural 20 (the die shows
a 20), your attack might be a critical hit (page 278).
A critical hit deals maximum damage, and some
powers and magic items have an extra effect on a
critical hit.
and
PH1-p278 said:
Maximum Damage: Rather than roll damage,
determine the maximum damage you can roll with
your attack. This is your critical damage. (Attacks
that don’t deal damage still don’t deal damage on a
critical hit.)
Extra Damage: Magic weapons and implements, as
well as high crit weapons, can increase the damage
you deal when you score a critical hit. If this extra
damage is a die roll, it’s not automatically maximum
damage; you add the result of the roll.
You'll note that it doesn't say "all extra damage, like from class features, can increase the damage...."

The sources of the "extra damage" it is talking about is clearly spelled out: magic weapons and implements, as well as high crit weapons. It's an exclusive, not inclusive, list.

Istar

First Post
They are wrong, as is Norseman16469.

...that last is particularly surprising, as he sited the relevant passages. Perhaps if he read them more slowly? ;)

Sneak attack damage is not EXTRA damage from a Critical.

Its normal damage from having CA.

Istar

First Post
Yup.

Why were you quoting me, exactly?:uhoh:

Becuase your such a genuis Nail and I am stalking your every move :)

But you hadnt quite naileded it on the head Nail.

I thought your explanation needed some embellsment, some finer points, some flavour, more personality, and superior clarification.

-Avalon-

First Post
Becuase your such a genuis Nail and I am stalking your every move :)

But you hadnt quite naileded it on the head Nail.

I thought your explanation needed some embellsment, some finer points, some flavour, more personality, and superior clarification.

I am confused... was that a compliment or an insult? :p

either way, good points both of you! :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases