Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind

I'm ressurrecting this thread to hear if the advice from Stalker0 and others is the same post MM3?

Also, I would very much like to hear if Essentials has reduced combat time, in your opinion, and why.

Thanks.

S'mon

Legend
Re Intimidate - I've allowed both Free Action and Minor Action intimidate checks. Free if you're right in the face of the target, Minor if you're yelling from across the battlefield.

Depending on circumstance and the nature of the target, the DC to make them surrender may vary from Will+10 to as low as base Will.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I'm ressurrecting this thread to hear if the advice from Stalker0 and others is the same post MM3?

Also, I would very much like to hear if Essentials has reduced combat time, in your opinion, and why.

Since 2009 (the 10 month mark for 4e) we've had improved accuracy from PCs (the expertise fix, superior implements, and Essentials builds that focus on accuracy), reduced defenses of elites, solos, and increased damage for creatures (MM3 math) and increased PC damage in feat and item options. There have been changes to monster design away from stacking damage reduction (weakness plus incorporeal) or soldier types with additional defensive abilities.

In our current game, the leading cause of grind is cold dice and that was true in every edition (1st edition was notorious for low level wiff-fests but at least stuff died when you hit them).

Other than n+ elites and solos I think the leading causes of most experience with grind was the design of Kobolds (shifty, slightly high defenses vs. reflex spells), Goblins (high defenses by current math), Hobgoblins (the notorious too high AC soldiers), and the wraiths of slog (weakness plus incorporeal). All redesigned in Monster Vault while featuring strongly in the H1-H2 series.

I think the other factor is the promise of 4e encounter design -- only playing out the center-piece battles, and the practice where you fight a lot of dross encounters aren't heroic or story advancing. Trash fights had a lot more traction in the player base and with the adventure designers than the top-view edition plan allowed for. I like trash fights, I just don't like spending an hour or two on each of them.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases