How Important is Magic to Dungeons and Dragons? - Third Edition vs Fourth Edition

Scribble

First Post
What exactly has magic gained?

What separates magical from mundane for you?

Depends what you mean by magic really- but in the case of D&D? "Magic" is a mystical artform/science that allows the magician to manipulate the world around him through a combination of ritualistic gestures, sounds, and components.

Mundane is mundane. :p

Not all things that would be mundane in our world, are mundane in the D&D world. Some stuff is "fun"dane.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
What exactly has magic gained?

What separates magical from mundane for you?
Well, I don't about Scribble, but for me it's mostly how the power is described.

For example, a fighter may have Sure Strike. It allows a fighter to increase his or her chance to hit while denying his or her ability score bonus to damage. This is explained as a fighter taking extra care to aim without putting the speed and force normal expended to make an attack. It could be described as a monk using his ki to hit an enemy instead of his physical prowess, or a wizard using magic to increase the chances of a hit, or a Jedi relying on the Force to guide his or her arm, but it's not so it isn't magic, ki, or the force.

A wizard may have Magic Missile. This a magically created bolt of force, not a crossbow bolt made from wood. Identical mechanics could be given to both, but the flavor makes the difference. I've been known to describe Magic Missile and similer spells as temporaly maifesting a magicical bow or crossbow, actually.

Aside: I was describing a Durger Thurge's use of Firebolt like that in my game on Saturday. I prefaced it with the question "you guys remember the D&D cartoon?" At that point have the group asked "there was a D&D cartoon?" And the rest of us just shook our heads and said "yes." I then continued to run the encounter, but feeling a little bit older.

Kask

First Post
but in the case of D&D? "Magic" is a mystical artform/science that allows the magician to manipulate the world around him through a combination of ritualistic gestures, sounds, and components.

Really? I've never had a cleric or druid that did that. A Storm Giant uses knowledge of, "a mystical artform/science" to breath water or throw lightning? In the MM it is a natural ability possessed by all Storm Giants.

Maybe you should expand your definition to fit the reality of the game?

Last edited:

Scribble

First Post
Really? I've never had a cleric or druid that did that. A Storm Giant uses knowledge of, "a mystical artform/science" to breath water throw lightning? In the MM it is a natural ability possessed by all Storm Giants.

Maybe you should expand your definition to fit the reality of the game?

Really you've never had a Cleric or Druid use special words, and components, or movements to cast spells?

Ok sure, some things have natural magical talents?

I guess I should have been more clear. I was talking about the "magic system" players commonly have used in D&D- my bad.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases