Settings/games for kids?

fireinthedust

Explorer
I've got a neice I'd like to introduce to the game. She's a great storyteller, and I'm certain she'll be a pro in no time. I'm a big fan of 4e, and the rules are simple enough I think she could have a lot of fun with them. Granted, for the context, I could likely do something involving ratings from 1-5 with abilities (just the modifiers, basically), or defences, and a special ability for each princess; something really simple.

My thinking on Settings is I'd like to a Disney Princess-style campaign setting. I mean, she's a big fan, and the classic disney films are, simply, classic. Theoretically, lots of material here.

I'm trying to think of a realm with different countries (each one has a princess or two), each based around a Disney film. Or even a fairytale land, like in Shrek, where all the different characters live.

1) Little Mermiad: Under the sea, the PCs who aren't Mermaids can use magic bubbles while they float, or ride dolphins, that sort of thing. The local princess, a mermaid, can shift into Mermaid form when underwater (like Splash; good movie, that).

2) Alladdin: Desert/arabian nights setting. Um, magic carpets. Can't think of a particular power like the mermaid setting.

3) Enchanted: or Sleeping Beuty, Snow White, I dunno. Ye basic medieval, waspy prince's & peasants campaign setting. There would be a forest with creatures in it (Troll love's kiss, seven dwarves, I dunno).

My ideal adventures would be problem solving over combat, like "help the unicorn get out of the river" or "catch the apples falling out of the tree", on top of any "fight yon dragon trogdor".

Any thoughts?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know of any kid-specific settings or licensed RPGs based on kids movies. Some games are "lighter" and might lend themselves to being played by kids, like the venerable Toon.

However, you've basically described a good basis for a kid-friendly "Ravenloft" setting. Read your Grimm's Fairy tales, add a dash of cleaned-up mythology, file the numbers off of Princess Bride, Stardust, Narnia, A Wrinkle in Time, and the Golden Compass, add a dash of Hannah Barbara and Sid & Marty Krofft Saturday Morning TV and you could really have something there.

1) Don't forget the Ponies, Unicorns, Pegasai, Pegacorns, Ponycorns, Ponytaurs, etc. for the girls, and stinky/slimy/scaly critters for the boys. Stereotypes? Yes- but commercially tried and true ones.

2) Don't get too close to anyone's copyrighted material- especially Disney's- if you intend to publish. You'd just be buying trouble.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
I've been pondering something similar, as my 7-year old daughter is definitely interested in my gaming. Plus, she needs help with math and I'm thinkin' what better way to get some practice in with adding and subtracting.

I've been considering systems, and I've narrowed it down to three possibilities.

1) Create a custom game system. Might even publish it, as there's likely a (pretty niche) market for this sort of thing; a kid-friendly RPG that doesn't suck (like the old "Pokemon RPG") that can appeal to gamers with youngish-children.

2) True20

3) Savage Worlds

rounser

First Post
Perhaps consider "The Lost Seneschal", an adventure from the BECMI supplement Tall Tales of the Wee Folk. The plot rolls out like a fairytale, and it takes place mostly in fairyland. Fairytale adventures are a rarity for D&D, and this is a good one, with memorable characters and a Disney-esque feel.

Could provide some inspiration. But your ideas sound like you're on the right track already.

Last edited:

Novem5er

First Post
I've actually been thinking about this myself for awhile. My daughter is still too young to play, but I can't help but daydream :)

I think 4e is a good system to run for kids... except for the fact that there are just too many abstract concepts to keep track of. The idea of powers is great, and I think easy for kids to understand, but the sheer number of possibilities, combinations, and interactions would be too much.

My recommendation would be to make whole new powers. Also, I don't think most kids will be too interested in leveling up. I'm willing to bet that the story and characters would be more important that continually getting new player options.

I've had a very similar idea with making a "Harry Potter" type game. The emphasis would be on story and problem solving, and less on combat. The player's powers would be a mix of combat and utility type powers.

Hmm...

fireinthedust

Explorer
that Faerie game looks a lot like the Tri-stat system of BESM. I hope the Essence rules are not more complicated than the stats presented (ie: one Essence per Spirit rank).

I did have a simple system similar to that sheet in mind. I'll look into other systems.

Disney: I was thinking that, staying away from direct pirating. I wonder if their artistic "style" is also taboo? For art purposes, at least.

For now I'll try it at home, see how it works. I think the Niche market would be not-bad, in that there are loads of parents who are gamers out there. Something they can just jump in to and tell stories with would be great.

Thanael

Explorer
Blue Rose is the very fairy tale like precursor of True20. (FYI one of True20's simplifications from D20 is to use "just the modifiers" as the OP said.) Check out the Blue Rose Fast Play rules available for free here, also there are several adventures based on Fairy Tales available.

Mouse Guard: Join the Mouse Guard and defend the Mouse Territories against predators and dangers, in this roleplaying game for the Mouse Guard comic book series! The game is intended for all ages and levels of game-playing experience by award-winning game designer Luke Crane and is based on a simplified version of his Burning Wheel rules system (also used for the Origins Award winning RPG of 2007, Burning Empires).

Last edited:

Thanael

Explorer
I've had a very similar idea with making a "Harry Potter" type game. The emphasis would be on story and problem solving, and less on combat. The player's powers would be a mix of combat and utility type powers.

Hmm...

For a 3E Harry Potter type game check out Redhurst Academy of Magic. It is usually available on ebay for around $ 10 and the book is really quite gorgeous. The Player's Guide is available for free as a 155-page PDF download that presents the full school information, maps, and background but does not include the GM's secrets and the rules.

Reviews were good too.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases