Hellblazer: could they make a worse casting decision for John Constantine?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, okay they could... if they got Danny Devito. But after Nicholas Cage dropped out of the part, the latest is that they're courting Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves. As the witty, tragic, british mage. Lord help us!

I so want to stay optimistic.... :D

Black Omega

First Post
Given tjhe writers pretty much drove me from the book some time ago, i'm not really sure what became of John in the book. But I could really see Christopher Lambert -way- before Keanu Reeves. Lambert has that dark, tragic look down pat and is used to wearing trenchcoats.:) Cage, I suppose, could do it. I usually like him better in the nerdy roles.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Christopher Lambert... I hadn't thought about him...
It would be a good idea, yeah...

Well, it could be worse, they could give the role to Tom Hanks or Brad Pitt... :D

Tom Cashel

First Post
Christopher Lambert?!?? When he says "There can be only one" he sounds like Ren from Ren & Stimpy!

No, no, no...

It's gotta be Ralph Fiennes as Constantine. You know, the guy who's playing the Dragon in that new Red Dragon movie. He'd be great. And he's British!

Nic Cage? Really? I don't think his head is the right shape. And he's way too muscular.

Klaus

First Post
Cage? Bleh! And Feh! And they wanted Constantine to be an American, instead of British! Double Feh!

If one would want to make a movie about Constantine without a loooooong backstory, it'd have to be set before he met Swamp Thing, a couple of years after his debacle where he became haunted by the ghosts of his former associates. At that age, Constantine would be best protrayed by James Marsters ("Buffy"'s Spike). Just give him spikier hair.

Ralph Fiennes sounds a bit too noble (although that may change once I see Red Dragon) to play the former punk-turned-working-class-magician.

But Keanu? Double Bleh!

Of course, were this the 80's, it'd be Sting all the way (as chosen by Alan Moore himself). :D

Tom Cashel

First Post
Klaus said:

Ralph Fiennes sounds a bit too noble (although that may change once I see Red Dragon) to play the former punk-turned-working-class-magician.

Have you seen Strange Days? He's pretty whacked out in that one...

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Spike Constantine...

Wow, people, it's the RIGHT choice! Seriously.

Spike as John Constantine... :eek:

Wonderful...

Black Omega

First Post
Ralph Fiennes from The Avengers? Yes, Red Dragon will definitely have to change my mind about him to see him as Constantine.

If there is any problem I could see with Spike, it's that it's too similar in some ways. He could work as a young Constantine though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases