4E The Nentir Vale: A Sandbox

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'm trying to make a sandbox using the Nentir Vale as a starting point. Never done that before, hopefully I know what I'm doing. :)

I'm basing the setting creation on random encounter and rumour tables. Originally the PCs were going to be about 8th level when they started to kick around in the world, but since the TPK they're a lot lower.

I decided not to change anything, and this makes Winterhaven a real point of light, shrouded on all sides by darkness. You'll see.

I've come up with so many different threats that I don't know what will happen - orcs gathering to the north, death cultists in the Cairngorms, giants beating the drums of war in the Stonemarch, a dragon growing her forces in the Cairngorms, trolls looking to create a kingdom near Nenlast, ogres awaiting "the return of the Tiger of Slaughter", and a follower of Vecna just to spice things up.

That may be too much. We'll see.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Random Rumour Table: Winterhaven

Rumours

Here's how I plan on handling rumours. If this doesn't work, I'll do something else.

• Declare what you are trying to find out about specifically, or just in general. Then pick your DC and roll Streetwise. DCs are sorted by availability of information; Easy 13, Normal 15, Hard 20, Secret 25.
  • Add +2 if appropriate funds are spent.
  • Each 5 over the DC grants another rumour.
  • All rumours are generated randomly.

*** WINTERHAVEN ***
Easy
1. Bandits lurk on the Gardmore Downs.
2. There are many dark shapes in the skies above the Cairngorms. Fell signs, indeed!
3. Wolves have been raiding outlying farms lately.
4. Strange lights have been seen again in Watcher's Hill. [an old, ruined fort on a hill a few miles south of Winterhaven, overlooking it and the King's Road]

Normal
1. Cadon the Gentle had his farm burned to the ground. Kobold and goblin tracks were on the ground. This is the first raid they've made since Kalarel was killed.
2. Some of the kobold traps are still active in the woods - a hunter came across a deer riddled with iron spikes.
3. Some kids are planning to watch the "Winter Lights" that you can see on the peak of Calamast, highest of the Cairngorms.
4. The bloodspear orcs are gathering strength again; a merchant spotted some on the road, and was able to scare them off.
5. Tobor Krice, a fisherman, got lost in Lake Wintermist when he fell asleep, but the Raven Queen must have had other plans for him; the Ghost of the Mist did not take him back to the Tower of Dreams.
6. The Tigerclaw Barbarians are beating the drums of war, and plan to raid the valley again.
7. A noble lord is trying to raise mercenaries in Fallcrest for an expedition into the Temple of Yellow Skulls.
8. A small goblin encampment lies just north of Cadon's farm.

Hard
1. The bandits have a spy in town.
2. A new kuthrik burrow has reached the surface on the southern side of the Sisters. [two large hills near Winterhaven on the south side of the Old King's Road.]
3. Cultists of Orcus have made a camp near Gardmore Abbey.
4. The dead walk again in the Cairngorms.
5. The Valley of the Dead (in the Cairngorms) is changing - the trees are barren and warped, even in the summer. It is a haunted place.
6. New statues line the Valley of Stone. [a valley in the Gardbury Downs lined by giant raised slabs of rune-carved stone.]
7. Some of the trees were burned - and charred bones left over - on the Old King's Road.
8. Large iron spikes litter the southern edges of the Gardbury Downs.

Secret
1. One of the Winterhaven Regulars has a brother who has turned to banditry.
2. A white dragon lairs in the Cairngorms.
3. There is a portal to the abyss in the Cairngorms.
4. The Whitefang kobolds have defeated the goblin tribes in the Cairngorms and have united them under a common banner.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here's the Gardbury Downs.

As you can see by the rumours of monsters, this is not a safe place for low-level PCs. I should add more false rumours (I haven't listed if the rumour is true or false). And maybe instead of giving away monster info I should allude to it somehow. Oh well.

*** GARDBURY DOWNS ***
Easy
1. Paladins of Bahamut have made an encampment around the Abbey, protecting it - from unwanted explorers and anything that comes out.
2. Bandits often watch the King's Road at both places it enters the Downs.

Normal
1. The bandits are planning to wipe out the paladins guarding the abbey.
2. The bandits are trying to recruit the ogres from the Ogrefest Hills.
3. There are many other entrances into Gardmore Abbey.
4. A chimera has recently moved into the area.
5. A dire bear has denned in the southern reaches.
6. A manticore prowls the Gardmore Downs.

Hard
1. The Wand of Orcus lies in the bowels of Gardmore Abbey.
2. The last battle of the Bloodspear War - the Battle of Gardmore - was a distraction by evil forces to slip past the forces of Nerath and into the Abbey to retreive its loot. Some say the entire Bloodspear War was created with this goal in mind.
3. The first few levels of the dungeons beneath Gardmore Abbey are relatively safe - the worst that lurks there is a Kuthrik Hive Lord - but the deeper levels are much more dangerous. Luckily they are protected by arcane wards that still stand.
4. A basilisk and some gorgons live in the Valley of Stone, but are kept well-fed by the galeb duhr that tend the area.
5. Bandits have been using Watcher's Hill to spy on Winterhaven.

Secret
1. The Eye of Vecna lies in the bowels of Gardmore Abbey.
2. There is an entrance into the deep levels of Gardmore Abbey via the Valley of Stone.
3. Kuthriks have infested Gardmore Abbey and have opened tunnels into the deeper levels.
4. The spy in Winterhaven meets with his brother in Watcher's Hill.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Fallcrest Rumours

Fallcrest. Boy oh boy is there a lot of crap going down in this scummy little town. Luckily it's low-level.

Once the Streetwise roll has been made, if the PCs aren't looking for anything in specific I roll 1d10 and see what that lines up to. (1) is the Markelhays, for example.

I also took out the true/false indicators.

edit: Oh yeah, I have to expand on the Tombwood/Moonstone Caverns/Raven Roost, and I'll do that once I get an idea of those dungeons.

These rumours are a little less developed than the other ones, I think; the idea is to get the players to decide if they want to take the time to talk to the NPC and figure out what's up. Hmm... except for the false ones ("Lord Markelhay is a wererat"). I should fix that. ("Lord Markelhay is never seen during the full moon." "Lord Markelhay's castle is infested with rats and he doesn't seem to mind.")

*** FALLCREST ***
(1) The Markelhays:
Easy

1. Lord Warden Markelhay's son Ernesto is spending time in the court of Baron Kessler, one of the charter members of the Knights of Nerath.
2. An emissary from the Knights of Nerath is spending the winter with the Markelhays.

Normal
1. Things are not well between the Markelhays - that's why Ernesto was sent south.
2. The Lady Allende is a witch.

Hard
1. The Lady Allende Markelhay is having an affair with Janis, the emissary of the Knights of Nerath.

Secret
1. Lord Warden Markelhay is a wererat.

(2) Fallcrest:
Easy

1. Sgt. Murgeddin at the Wizard's Gate fought in the Bloodspear Wars and was at the Battle of Gardmore Abbey.
2. The Nentir Inn is the best place to sleep in Fallcrest - in the Nentir Vale! - and it's cheap.
3. Erandil Zemoar built the inn with his own funds two years ago. He plans to build a manor, if he can fund an expedition to recover the treasures in Kalton Manor.

Normal
1. Barstomun Strongbeard pays tribute to the Lord Warden.
2. Sgt. Murgeddin has a strong dislike for the Lord Warden.
3. Sgt. Thurmina and Sgt. Nereth are having an affair - opposites attract.
4. Irena Swiftwater passes herself off as a fortune-teller, but she is a sharp-minded merchant.

Hard
1. Sgt. Murgeddin was banished from Hammerfast.
2. Sgt. Thurmina will turn a blind eye to some indiscretions if you slip her some coin.
3. Erandil Zemoar stole the gold he used to build the Nentir Inn from an old widow in the south.

Secret
1. Barstomun Strongbeard recently killed a merchant who would not pay protection money.
2. Erandil Zemoar desires the Lord Warden's title and will kill to get it.

(3) Thunderspire
Hard

1. The Seven-Pillared Hall was attacked by living minotaur statues made out of solid bronze! The Mages of Saruun still rule, however.
2. House Azaer has a trading post in Thunderspire and will trade quality magic items for a slightly inflated fee.

Secret
1. The Mages of Saruun are dead, their own Bronze Warders turned against them; though who did it none can say, and Orontar and Brugg are still running the show in the Hall.

(4) Tombwood
Easy

1. The Tombwood cemetary was desecrated when the Bloodspear orcs sacked the city, and the dead rest uneasily.

Normal
1. The Tombwood barrow mound is haunted by those who died in the Bloodspear Wars, and will not rest until Fallcrest is a proud city again.

Hard
1. The old crypts in the Tombwood are linked by secret passages to dangerous, sealed-off parts of the Moonstone Caverns beneath the town.

Secret
1. The River Rats and Kelson have been slipping into the Catacombs and the Tombwood to rob the graves - selling the remains to Orest Naerumar.

(5) Moonstone Caverns
Easy

1. The Moonstone Caverns were once the lair of the Nentir Wyrm. Some say there may still be hidden treasure to find.

Normal
2. The Catacombs beneath Fallcrest hold deadly traps, ancient curses, evil shrines, and more than a few malevolent undead.

Hard
3. Wererats plague the Moonstone Caverns.

(6) Raven's Roost
Normal

1. Bandits from Raven's Roost are raiding the Trade Road. They are led by a pair of Shadar-Kai warriors.

Hard
2. The bandits from Raven's Roost have a contact in Fallcrest - Orest Naerumar.
2. The Swiftwater halfing clan fences goods from Raven's Roost.

Secret
1. The bandits from Raven's Roost have a contact in the Fiveleague House - Barton.
2. Nimena Sandercot fences goods obtained by the Raven's Roost bandits, sending them down south using House Azaer.

(7) Death Cult
Normal

1. Sgt. Gerdrand says he has relatives in Winterhaven, but he doesn't; who does he visit up there once a month?
2. Orest Naerumar has put the word out that he'll pay a premium for deep-red "blood" rubies.

Hard
1. The River Rats and Kelson have been slipping into the Catacombs and the Tombwood to rob the graves - selling the remains to Orest Naerumar.

Secret
1. Orest Naerumar is selling goods to death cultists - vile goods he purchased from graverobbers.

(8) Armos Kamroth
Normal

1. Armos Kamroth's son Yandal is betrothed to an elven princess of the Woodsinger Clan.
2. An ugly, old hag was screeching at Armos' estate, looking for his son Yandal.

Hard
1. Strangly-dressed people - deep red robes with arcane markings - have been entering Armos Kamroth's estate late at night.
2. Armos made his fortune by making smart investments.

Secret
1. Armos Kamroth is secretly a worshipper of Tiamat, and leads a cult in Mother Chaos' service.

(9) Nimozaran the Green
Easy

1. Nimozaran the Green apprenticed under the last of the "High Septarch of Fallcrest" and knows more about the history of the Nentir Vale than any living man.

Normal
1. Nimozaran the Green is looking for a decent apprentice and, if given one, will train him free of charge.

Hard
1. Nimozaran the Green has a permanent teleportation circle in his tower, and will reveal its runes to people for a hefty fee.

Secret
1. Nimozaran the Green worships Vecna.
2. Nimozaran the Green has a vault full of magical items.

(10) DM's Choice

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Quests

Here is a list of Quests currently active. The idea is that the players will have to choose which ones to go after; they can't take them all. XP is set and doesn't scale.

Hopefully all the adversity I've built into the setting will prevent grinding out low-level Quests and dungeons for XP.

Even where I spelled out the success condition of a quest, I mean for them to be situations that can be resolved in whatever manner the players choose. Maybe I should fix them.

QUESTS (so far)

Winterhaven Quests:
Minor Quest, level 1: Cadon the Gentle, a farmer north of Winterhaven, had his farm raided. Find out who did this.

Major Quest, level 1: Winter falls on the Nentir Vale. The season's harvest was small due to the kobold raids, and Winterhaven is going to need supplies to make it through the winter. Resupply the town's stocks so no one will starve or freeze to death through the winter.

Minor Quest, level 1: Organize the defenses of Winterhaven.

Major Quest, level 3: Bandits plague the Gardbury Downs. Infiltrate their organization.

Major Quest, level 4: The cultists in the Cairngorms must be getting their supplies from somewhere. Find out who has been supplying them and stop the supply train.

Minor Quest, level 4: Uncover the spy in town.

Major Quest, level 4: Discover evidence of the cult in the Cairngorms.

Major Quest, level 5: With your old PCs gone, Winterhaven is without a leader - again. Take control of Winterhaven.

Major Quest, level 6: Clear the Cairngorms.

Major Quest, level 7: Clear the Gardbury Downs.

Minor Quest, level 7: Defeat the Bandits in the Gardbury Downs.

Major Quest, level 8: Save the old PCs, if possible.

Major Quest, level 12: Clear Lake Wintermist.

Minor Quest, level varies by encounter level: Defeat the powerful solitary monsters around Winterhaven (in the Cairngorms and the Gardbury Downs).

Fallcrest Quests:
Major Quest, level 1: You've heard about a dwarven armourer in Fallcrest (Teldorthan Goldcap) who lost a shipment of cargo along the King's Road, near the Cloak Woods. Among the shipment was a cured green dragon hide; he's offering 200 gp for anyone who can return it to him. Find the dragon hide.

Major Quest, level 2: Local legend has it that the Tower of Waiting in Fallcrest is haunted. Check it out, find out the truth.

Major Quest, level 3: The Lord Warden of Fallcrest, Faren Markelhay, is offering a bounty for kobold ears - 10gp per left ear, and 100gp for proof that the kobold leader has been slain.

Major Quest, level 4: Locals say that the Tombwood, in Fallcrest, is haunted. Clear out the undead.

Major Quest, level 4: Three centuries ago, a great hero named Aranda Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the portage of the Nentir Falls. He named the tower he raised Moonstone Keep after the gift Eladrin from the Harken Forest gave to him - a sword the shone with the light of the moon, forged in the deep of the Feywild, blessed by Sehanine herself - the blade Moonbane. Legend has it that Aranda used the sword to slay the Nentir Wyrm and pacify the valley. The sword was passed down through the generations, until it was lost in the Bloodspear War. Recover the sword.

Major Quest, level 5: Lord Warden Markelhay and others in Fallcrest have political connections to the south, where Sir Kaldor and the Knights of Nerath have their power base. Convince them to exert some will to stop or delay Sir Kaldor's return in the spring.

Major Quest, level varies by dungeon level: During the last age, when Fallcrest was a small and prosperous city, generations of families used the bluffs between Hightown and Lowtown as burial crypts. Stories abound in town about treasure hoards hidden away in the crypts and the restless undead that guard them. Venture into these crypts and clear out each level one-by-one.

Other Quests:
Major Quest, level 2: The Woodsinger Clan elves who live in the Harken Forest have kept to themselves since the fall of Nerath. Gain their friendship and make them your allies.

Major Quest, level 2: Kalton Manor, half-finished and in ruins, has been abandonded for centuries. Stories tell of a hidden treasure - the old Kalton fortune - hidden in secret chambers beneath the ruined keep. Recover these treasures.

Major Quest, level 3: Goblins plague the Western edges of the Harken Forest from a keep named Daggerburg. Eliminate them.

Major Quest, level 6: Bandits are raiding the Trade Road from Fallcrest to Hammerfast. Do something to stop this - or take control of the bandits.

Major Quest, level 8: Eliminate the Woodsinger Clan.

Major Quest, level 8: Make the King's Road and Trade Road safe again.

Major Quest, level 15: Take control of the entire Nentir Vale. Unite it under your banner.

Minor Quest, level 15: Make your own suit of Wyrmscale armour.

Nebulous

Legend
Some good ideas there, Lostsoul. My campaign is in the Savage North of the Realms, and Winterhaven is three days from a more civilized town. I'm thinking about skipping H3 and sort of blending H2 and P1 together, with some add-on material inbetween them. I can definitely use some ideas such as these. thanks.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Fallcrest Dungeon 1: The Moonstone Sepulchre

Before I can really get into the rumours I need to start building dungeons! They need something to talk about, right? I'm going to start in Fallcrest where they're low-level.

This one isn't much of a dungeon but it might prove interesting, especially if Fallcrest is taken over.

The Moonstone Sepulchre

1. Lobbey
A set of spiral stairs descends to a small (20x10) lobbey. Two broken statues, one male, one female, flank an archway filled with a shimmering curtain of darkness. Runes are carved into the stone archway. The stonework here, obviously good dwarven construction, looks as though it had been defaced and then repaired.

DM's Notes: The statues are of the Lady (and great hero) Aranda Markelhay and her husband, and PCs will know this information if they can pass a DC 17 History check. They have been restored as much as possible after the Bloodspear orcs defaced them. The female statue bears a striking resemblance to the Lady Allende Markelhay.

The runes on the archway are written in Supernal; anyone fluent in that language can read them. The runes Protection, Abberant, Elemental, Fey, Immortal, Natural, Shadow, Less, <unknown rune; it is the True Name of the Markelhays>, Blood, Inflict, Death, Blind, and Weakness. (The runes may also be read with a DC 21 Arcana check.) It is a level 10 Magic Circle that wards against all except those with Markelhay blood. Characters who wish to defeat the ward may attempt a level 10 skill challenge, but each failure will inflict blindness and debilitating weakness (conditions last until the next extended rest) in addition to destructive magical energies (lose 2 healing surges).

Only someone with Markelhay blood may pass through; the Lord Warden may not, as he married into the family. If someone stands in the archway, the portal will remain open - and it will likewise do so if one places Markelhay blood in the archway!

A secret trap door in the floor (Perception DC 19) opens up to reveal a staircase leading down to the postern (area 7.).

2. Foyer/Pool
This 30x30 foot room is dominated by a pool of clear water, smelling faintly sweet, and a pair of large bronze-plated double doors at its northern end. 3 benches surround the pool. The double doors have been finely carved and depict a beautiful woman and her husband along with three children standing before a waterfall. A corridor running east-west cuts through the room.

[editor's notes: there should be a clue in the art on the door. I don't yet have anything to leave a clue for though!]

DM's Notes: Anyone who drinks from the pool feels instantly refreshed (can make an Endurance check with no penalty for failure against any disease or similar condition). In addition, the drinker gains a +1 bonus to hit rolls against dragons and their kin (dragon type) until their next extended rest. If a dragonborn drinks this water, he instantly loses a healing surge. The water loses its potency if taken from this room.
The figures on the double doors are of Lady Allende Markelhay and her family; PCs know this information with a DC 15 History check.

3. Crypts
The resting places of 7 generations of the Markelhay clan. There are many bodies laid to rest here. The most recent one is Lady Allende's father. The remains lie in coffins placed in niches along the walls, and all the stonework here is of the highest quality.

These crypts lie along the corridor running east-west from the foyer.

DM's Notes: If disturbed, a haunting voice is heard: "You who would disturb our rest, beware, for we shall disturb yours." If the action is continued, a curse is brought into effect. Make an attack; +13 vs. Will; lose 1 healing surge from psychic damage and gain Markelhay's Curse (see below). This curse does not affect those of Markelhay blood. It is possible to avoid the curse; I leave the solution up to the players.

Treasure: Looting the dead, one can recover the following 250gp art objects: ivory statue of Sehanine, a silver-plated longsword, a gold bracelet with the inscription "to my daughter Ardayna on her 16th birthday", a silver necklace, a silk robe, and the following 1500gp art object: a gold statuette of Aranda Markelhay. All these items are obviously related to the Markelhays and will need to be fenced in the Nentir Vale.

Markelhay's Curse Level 10 Disease (curse) Wisdom stable DC 22, improve 26
Code:
The target <	Initial Effect:			<>	The character regains only	>	Final State: 
is cured 	The target recovers only 1/2		one Daily power per extended		The character gains no
		of his healing surges during		rest.					benefit from an extended
		each extended rest.								rest.
Special: Heal may not be used to treat this disease.  
Substitute Religion instead, and even then only 
Unaligned (at best) methods will work.  
If rites of Tiamat are used, add a +2 bonus to 
the Religion check.

4. Major Tombs (Encounter Level 11, XP 3150)
These tombs are valuted chambers (20x20) holding the first-born and immediate family of 7 generations of the Markelhays. The first-born of each family - (almost) always a woman - rests in a sarcophagus on a raised dias and the others rest in coffins in niches along the walls. One tomb is completely empty. Another has a place for "Lord Tarfon Markelhay, beloved of Lady Tinda" in the first-born's sarcophagus, but no body rests here.
These major tombs are connected to the tomb of Aranda Markelhay by sturdy iron doors.

DM's Notes: If disturbed, the Markelhay's curse is brought into effect (see 3. above), and protective spirits will appears to defend the dead. A Banshee (Wailing Ghost) appears in area 5. and in each tomb a Trap Haunt will appear, Trapbound to all squares in areas 4. and 5. They will attack until the tombrobbers have left the sepulchre. As in the crypts, those of Markelhay blood are not subject to this effect, and smart (and greedy!) players may come up with a solution.

Treasure: Each tomb holds a different treasure. Once these tombs held magic weapons, armour, and other items useful in battle; they were taken and lost during the Bloodspear War. If any are returned to their proper resting place, grant the PCs a Minor Quest reward (level 10) and the following boon: a holy symbol of good fortune +3, not keyed to any god.
a) A gold ring with a 100gp gem - an engagement ring (170gp).
b) A watchful ruby eye in the eye socket of a long-dead Markelhay mage.
c) A chime of awakening hanging over the first-born's coffin.
d) A lamp of discerning providing illumination to the room.
e) A silver-plated sword, still grasped by dead hands (290gp).
f) A crown studded with gems resting on the skull of a dead lord (1300gp).
g) Cloth of gold vestments dedicated to Sehanine.

5. Tomb of Lady Aranda Markelhay
The double doors from the foyer open into a large (50x100) vaulted tomb. Pillars line the walls and support the weight of the stone above. A beautiful stained-glass window, backlit with a radiant glow, dominates the north wall (15x15); it depicts a beautiful woman in plate armour doing battle with a white dragon. Her sword is pure white and shines brightly. A marble sarcophagus, the top of which is carved into a likeness of the woman depicted in the window, sits on a raised dais. The floor and walls are polished marble and reflect the scene. Four sturdy iron doors lie in the east and west walls. The air in here is cool but refreshing.

DM's Notes: This is the final resting place of Lady Aranda Markelhay and her immediate family. Each square of the window radiates a powerful aura to a distance of 5 squares. Any undead or dragon creature that enters or starts their turn in the area of effect takes 10 radiant damage. All creatures save undead or dragons gain a +2 bonus to all defenses and good-aligned immortal creatures gain regeneration 5 (does not work if they take necrotic damage). This effect can be ended if the window is destroyed (AC 5, Fort 2, HP 30).

A secret door (Perception DC 25) is recessed into the north-west corner of the room. It leads to the vault (area 6.).

Treasure: Lady Aranda Markelhay passed down her arms and armour, including the sword Moonblade, to her heirs. All have been lost in the Bloodspear Wars. If her armour or shield is returned to her tomb, grant the PCs a minor quest reward (level 10); if the Moonblade is returned, grant them a major quest reward (level 10) and they hear a voice: "You have proven yourselves worthy of my legacy. You are now of my own blood. Take my blade and use it to do good." The PCs are now considered to be heirs to Aranda Markelhay.

6. Vault (XP 1500)
Through the secret door is a small (10x10) area which leads to a thick (5') steel door. Beyond this door is the Markelhay vault. This is a fair-sized room (20x20) with mostly-empty shelves. There are a bags, bins, and chests strewn about the room, as well as wickedly-barbed spear leaning against one wall.

DM's Notes: This room is trapped. Only Lady Allende Markelhay and her immediate family know how to bypass the traps. When the door to the vault opens, the secret door slams shut. Make an attack against any characters in its space: +13 vs. Ref; 3d8+5 damage, and the target is pushed 1. The secret door cannot be opened while the vault door is opened (DC 28).

1 Electrified Floor Trap
1 Force Blast Trap (Elite level 10 Blaster trap)
Trap: This trap is a small orb on the far side of the room. It emits a thundering blast of energy.
Perception
DC 21: The character locates the orb.
Additional Skills: Arcana
DC 25: The character realizes that getting close to the orb will provoke a powerful blast.
DC 21: The character's knowledge provides a +2 bonus to Thievery checks to disable the trap.
Trigger
The trap rolls initative when a creature enters the vault or begins its turn in the vault.
Attack
Standard Action Ranged 6
Target: One creature
Attack: +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d6+5 thunder damage and the target is pushed 1 square.
Miss: Half damage.

Immediate Reaction Close Blast 5
Trigger: When a character is adjacent to the trap
Target: All creatures in burst
Attack: +15 vs. Fortitude
Hit: Push 2 squares.
Countermeasures
An adjacent character can disable the trap with a DC 26 Thievery check.
The orb can be disabled with attacks (AC 24, Reflex 0, Fortitude 24).
A secret password can be uttered to disable the traps. When the correct phrase is clearly stated, an audible groaning sound can be heard as the traps shut down.

Treasure: The Raven Queen has not been kind to the Markelhays since Tarfon Markelhay fled the Battle of Gardmore Abbey with the Moonblade. As a result, the vault has only 500gp, 10,000sp, and 50,000cp in it. The spear is a Spear of Wounding +1.

7. Postern
The stair from the lobbey descends deep into the earth. 20' down there is a landing and a passage that heads further north, and you can feel a cool breeze of fresh air coming from that direction. The stairs continue to descend.

The passage ends in a small bolt-hole, a room partially filled with rubble. Fresh air is coming from the other side of the rubble.

DM's notes: The passage leads outside Fallcrest and was used as a secret means of entering and exiting. It was intentionally destroyed after an assassination attempt by Bloodspear orc assassins during the final days of the war. There is no roll to clear the rubble, it just takes time.

The staircase continues down to a secret door that leads into the cisterns.

JeffB

Legend
This is great stuff! :D

I'm not running 4E ATM, but when I was, I did very much the same thing with the Nentir Vale. Perfect little area to detail/expand.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'm working on the cistern at the moment. It's full of rats and wererats. (Literally - the cistern is full of rats.)

The leader of the troupe is going to have a power to create a rat king out of that mass of rats.

Here's one of the bad guys in there. I'm trying to squish the statblock as much as possible:

Wererat Killer: lvl 5 elite brute XP 400
init +6; per +4 (low-light)
AP 1; SV +2
HP 150/75; AC 17, F 19, R 20, W 17
:bmelee: cleaver +8 vs AC; 2d8+4 damage
:melee: bite; minor; requires CA; +6 vs. F; 1d6+4 and ongoing 5 (sv)
:close: rage; when first bloodied; immediate reaction; close burst 1; cleaver attack against all enemies in range
:melee: spiked tail whip; immediate interrupt; when flanked; +6 vs. R; 1d10+4 and prone
S +4 C +4 D +6 I +1 W +4 C +1

LostSoul

Adventurer
The Cistern

THE CISTERN

Overview: The cistern was built when Aranda Markelhay raised her tower; if a city was to be built, it would need a more secure water supply in the case of a siege than the river. The cistern is now dry as the floodgates have been closed. The circulation system to keep the water from growing stagnant is still in working order, though the waterwheel which powered it (beneath the falls) has been destroyed.

A group of wererats, worshipping a horrid, demon-like creature they call the Rat God, have moved in here and made it their lair. They are smart enough not to plague the townspeople of Fallcrest, but will strike at merchants. They have filled the cistern with rats and have kidnapped a number of merchants as slaves to their Rat God.

The Rat God is an aberration from the Far Realm; it is sleeping, senseless, having crawled into this place after the Bloodspear War to feast on the remains of the dead left after the sacking of Fallcrest. A travelling arcanist discovered it here and placed magic wards to keep it from leaving if (and when!) it would awaken.

Entrances: There are a number of entrances to the cisterns:
1. Via the Markelhay Sepulchre. A stair descends to a secret door. No one is aware of the existence of this door.
2. Via a well in Moonstone Keep. The well has been capped as the cisterns are now dry.
3. Via a well in the Tombwood. This well has been overgrown but is not capped.
4. Via a passage through the crypts under the Tombwood.
5. Via a passage from the catacombs in the Moonstone Caverns.

1. Cistern (XP 150)
A vast chamber (100x100) that echoes with the squeal of thousands of rats. The ceiling is vaulted and leads up into darkness. Pillars support the weight of the earth above.

There is a 20' deep pit in the middle of the room, measuring some 40x40 feet in area. It would be empty save the thousands of rats who climb over one another here. Two 5' wide tunnels lead out of the pit, one heading north and the other south. Rats are climbing into and out of these tunnels.

4 doors line the walls. Most are made of wood and warped or decaying; one is made of stone and is closed fast.

Dim lanterns line the walls and give off a faint light.

DM's Notes: A single wererat rests here in the shadows, on guard. There is a 50% chance that he is sleeping, giving the PCs automatic surprise, though he will wake shortly (in 1d4 rounds from the PC's arrival) as the rat's squeals grow in intensity. If he is not sleeping, PCs who have low-light vision spot a man is guarding the area and have them make a check; the DC is 14. If the PCs succeed, they spot the wererat before he spots them and may act as they wish with surprise. His suspicions will become aroused shortly, however, due to the strange activity of the rats; unless the PCs do something to calm the rats, the PC with the lowest Stealth modifier must make a check against DC 19 (though other PCs may Aid). Succeed or fail, they will see him, and he will attempt to flee into the wererat lounge (area 6) to warn his allies.

(Optional) Assassinating the guard: As the rats serve as a alarm of sorts for the guard, it is unlikely that PCs will be able to slip past him. However, a single character trained in stealth may be able to do it. By slipping from pillar to pillar a character can maintain stealth, although at a -5 penalty. (Do not call for rolls each round; only one is needed, otherwise you might as well state the character fails automatically!) Once in range of the wererat, maintaining Stealth indicates the PC will have surprise and can make an attack.

This attack is unlikely to kill any but a helpless guard or minion. The goal, then, is to make an attack to make sure the target cannot cry out for help. Make an attack as a standard action, rolling Str or Dex vs. Fort; on a hit, the target cannot shout he target cannot shout, yell, or talk normally, though he can still whisper (save ends). Combat can then proceed, though the guard will attempt to flee (best to grab him). These sorts of combats are best considered to be done in near total silence (DC 20 Perception to hear).

The cistern is empty of water, the floodgates closed, but it is filled with rats. Anyone who does not have immunity to filth fever who enters or begins their turn in the cistern takes 5 points of damage and suffers an attack: +7 vs. Fortitude, on a hit the character contracts filth fever. Although it is 20' deep, treat falling distance as half that due to the soft cushion of rats the character will land upon. See the control room (area 2.) for details on what occurs when the floodgates are opened.

Every 20' there is a line of squares (1x4) that is in total darkness. Characters with low-light vision can penetrate the gloom. The wererat guard hides in one of these squares

There is a well that draws water from the cistern when it is full (though it is covered at the moment); PCs can notice this if they have low-light vision or darkvision and succeed at a DC 18 Perception check.

2. Control Room.
The stone door to this room is locked (DC 20). When opened, the room seems to gasp as stale air exits; it has not been opened for nearly a hundred years. Within the stone room is a large wheel, a pair of levers, one up and one down, and two gauges. Dwarven writing has been carved into the wall above each control. Both gauges read 0.

A corridor in the western wall leads into darkness.

DM's notes: If a character can read dwarven, they can make out the following: "Main Floodgate" over the wheel, "Cistern" over the left lever, "Moonstone Well" over the right lever, and "Water Level" and "Hammers" over the gauges. ("Hammers" is a dwarven measure of force equal to the force required to lift a warhammer 3 feet (basically 1 newton); it measures the amount of energy the waterwheel produced. The waterwheel which once stood behind the falls has been destroyed.)

The wheel opens the main floodgate. If turned, it will make a great creaking noise unless oiled, and will alert anyone in the cistern (area 1.) or the wererat lounge (area 6.). Once opened, the sewers will flood with water and can once again be used by Fallcrest (instead of dumping waste directly into the river, it is taken downstream a few miles). Reward characters who open the main floodgate with a level 1 minor quest.

The levers open the floodgates; the left one opens the floodgates that sends water into the main area, and the right opens the floodgate that leads to the small cistern that feeds the well under Moonstone Keep. If the left floodgate is opened, a roaring sound can be heard coming from the western tunnel in the cistern (area 1.); in 5 rounds, a gust of water will pour from it. Any creatures within 5 squares of the western tunnel are subject to an attack: +10 vs. Fortitude, 3d8+5 damage and knocked prone. This will clear out the rats in the cistern within 2 rounds as they flee into other areas, creating difficult terrain in the rest of the cistern until the end of any encounter. Creatures within this difficult terrain are subject to an attack: +7 vs. Fortitude, 4 damage. If any damage is dealt via an area affect (such as a scorching burst or flask of oil, but not blinding barrage), those squares are cleared of rats until the end of the character's next turn. If this occurs outside of an encounter, each character must make a DC 19 check or lose a healing surge.

In a short time, the cistern will fill; if both levers are opened, the Moonstone Keep cistern will fill as well. Fresh water may be drawn from the wells. In a week, however, the still water will foul and those who drink it are subject to an attack: +3 vs. Fortitude, on a hit contract filth fever (dysentery/flux).

3. Moonstone Keep Cistern (XP 300)
The northern tunnel leads into a vaulted chamber, 15x15. A small pit, 20' deep and 10'x10' in area, dominates the room. The pit is lined with a yellow sludge. There is a shaft in the ceiling.

DM's Notes: The yellow sludge is actually an ochre jelly. The wererats fought it and were unable to defeat it but pushed it into this area. A Dungeoneering check (DC 15) will indicate that PCs know what this is (though let the players metagame). It will lie dormant and attack once all PCs enter its space, or attack if assaulted. The ochre jelly suffers no penalty for having other creatures in its space as it flows around other creatures. (If using this modified rule, add an extra 100 XP to the encounter.)

Treasure: The chain that once held the bucket to feed the well still lies here; it is made of sterling silver and worth 100gp.

4. Storeroom.
This room (30x30) is full of a variety of goods - grain, meal, chickens, spices, tools, luxuries, etc. It appears that some of the banditry attributed to the Raven Roosters is misplaced. A set of stairs in the north wall leads up. There is a simple wooden door, recently repaired, in the western wall.

DM's Notes: This room is where the wererats keep their ill-gotten gains. There is a total of 470gp here - though 200gp of that is in trade goods which cannot easily be taken. If the PCs deliver this to market and sell it, reward them with a level 1 minor quest. The other 270gp is in magical reagents - 30gp of mystic salves, 100gp of alchemical reagents, 120gp of rare herbs, and 40gp of sanctified incense.

Those who search this room must succeed at a DC 19 Stealth check or they will alert the wererat guard in area 1.

The stairs lead to the tombwood crypts; the door leads to area 1.

5. Hightown Well Shaft (XP 350)
This shaft leads to the covered well just north of the Kamroth Estate, in the Tombwood.

DM's Notes: 2 Cavern Chokers lurk here, chased out of the catacombs, feeding off the vermin in the sewers. They have since had to be more cautious with the arrival of the wererats some few months ago.

If PCs climb the tunnel, they will come under attack. Likewise, if there is a battle in the cisterns, the cavern chokers will hear it and investigate; once the battle turns, the chokers will descend and attack. During the battle, anyone who calls for and makes a DC 20 Perception check will notice the chokers lurking there. The chokers relish the idea of gaining some treasure that isn't rat bone necklaces.

6. Wererat Lounge (XP 1000)
The door to this room is stuck (requires a DC 11 check to open; if Thievery is used, surprise is possible, otherwise the wererats will be aware of the PCs and gain a +5 bonus to initiative). This room (40x40) has two tables and a small fireplace. A roasted pig is on a spit over the fire. 5 wererats - one of exceptional size, with spiked steel armour over its tail - are lounging here. A keg of beer stands next to the fire. Three doors are here - one leading to the cistern, one on the north wall, and another on the west.

DM's Notes: Pushing someone into the fire will deal low limited damage based on the character's level (as those who are higher level push with more force!). The pig, if it takes any damage (such as from an area attack), bursts into pieces creating concealment in a burst 1 area for one round. If any large amount of liquid (such as the keg) is placed onto the fire, hot steam will burst forth, dealing 5 damage in a burst 1 area and creating concealment for one round. If the keg is put there, it will take 1 round before it explodes.

If attacked, one of the wererats will attempt to move into the sauna (area 7.) and the wererat warren (area 8.) to raise the alarm.

Wererat Killer: lvl 5 elite brute XP 400
init +6; per +4 (low-light)
AP 1; SV +2
HP 150/75; AC 17, F 19, R 20, W 17
regen 5 (silver)
:bmelee: cleaver +8 vs AC; 2d8+4 damage
:melee: bite; minor; requires CA; +6 vs. F; 1d6+4 and ongoing 5 (sv)
:close: rage; when first bloodied; immediate reaction; close burst 1; cleaver attack against all enemies in range
:melee: spiked tail whip; immediate interrupt; when flanked; +6 vs. R; 1d10+4 and prone
S +4 C +4 D +6 I +1 W +4 C +1

7. Dwarf Sauna/Bathhouse (XP 875)
This 20x100 area is warm and the air is humid. The walls and floor are made from white tiles. Red-hot stones pulse with magical heat, covered by metal grates in sunken area in the middle of the room.

DM's Notes: This area is dimly lit. A lone wererat takes care of his 3 guard drakes and 2 spitting drakes in this room. The drakes are sleeping over the grates.

The stones that produce the heat and only light are magical; their heat can be raised or lowered by someone who speaks the correct incantation (Arcana DC 18; a Dwarf character can substitute a History check with a -2 penalty). The grates can be easily removed. If water is poured on the heating stones, a heavy burst of steam is created (concealment in a burst 1 area). If the grate is opened, any character who enters or begins his turn on that square takes 5 points of fire damage. If the heat is turned off, these effects do not occur.

Treasure: One of the drakes has a gem-studded collar worth 140gp.

Wererat Caretaker: lvl 5 controller
init +6; per +10 (low-light)
HP 63/31; AC 19, F 17, R 18, W 17
regen 5 (silver)
:bmelee: short sword +10 vs. AC; 1d6+4.
:branged: whip; ranged 5; +9 vs. R; 1d10+4, prone.
:ranged: whip disarm; minor; encounter; +9 vs. R; one held item is disarmed and ends up within 5 squares.
sic 'em; minor; encounter; ally within 5 makes basic or charge attack with +2 to atk.
Stealth +11, Nature +10
S +3 C +4 D +6 I +2 W +5 C +1

8, Wererat Warren (XP 725)
This 25x30 area stinks of filth and decay. Pallid straw mats line the floor. A number of bags are scattered about the room. A fire burns low in a brazier in the middle of the room. A 10x15 area in the south-western corner is curtained off, and a candle flickers from the other side.

DM's Notes: This is where the wererats sleep. A dark creeper emissary from Raven Roost is meeting with the warren king, attempting to cow the warren king into paying a fee for working this turf. They are not making much headway. The warren king will not let the dark creeper leave with his life; he will be sacrificed to the Rat God (see area 9.).

A single wererat bodyguard (as wererat but with fighter's mark and +2 bonus to AC to adj allies) is in the room, ready to respond to any treachery from the dark creeper. This wererat is deaf.

The brazier can be used to light the mats on fire; this will create a thick, nauseating black smoke to rise, granting total concealment in a burst 1 area. Any character who enters or begins his turn in the smoke is subject to an attack: +7 vs. F; -2 to atk (sv). Wererats are immune (comfortably living in their own filth).

Treasure: The dark creeper has a silvered dagger worth 75 gp.

Warren King: lvl 5 elite controller (leader) XP 400
init +6; per +9 (low-light)
HP 126/63; AC 21, F 17, R 20, W 19
regen 5 (silver)
AP 1; SV +2
:bmelee: filthy short sword +9 vs. F; 1d6+4, ongoing 2 (sv) and filth fever.
:branged: flying rats; ranged 5; +9 vs. R; 1d4+4, -2 to atks (sv). The warren king throws a hungry rat at the target.
:melee: tail trip; reach 2; +9 vs. R; 1d6+4 damage and the target is knocked prone.
:ranged: create rat king; only in cistern full of rats; creates large rat king in the cistern and the rat king attacks. As a move action, move the rat king up to 6 squares; +9 vs. R; 2d8+6 damage and the rat king grabs the target; sustain minor: a target grabbed by the rat king takes 1d8+6 damage. As a standard action, the warren king can make another attack but it must release a target it has grabbed.
:close: release rat swarm; encounter; close burst 3; targets enemies; +9 vs. F; 1d8+6, ongoing 5 (sv) and difficult terrain (not to wererats). The warren king can no longer make flying rat attacks.
Stealth +11, Streetwise +9, Thievery +11
S +3 C +3 D +6 I +6 W +4 C +4
equipment: filthy short sword, bag of rats

9. Lair of the Rat God (XP 1000+)
The entrance to this room is marked with ancient runes. At the far side of the circle, flies buzz angrily against an unseen barrier. A mass of red-eyed maggots has created a carpet one-foot deep on the floor, squishing up against the magical ward.

This large (35x55) vaulted chamber stinks worse than an outhouse in the middle of summer. In the dark, a horrid wheezing sound comes in uneven intervals.

DM's Notes: A far-realm entity known only as the Rat God lives in this squalid chamber. It is not a rat nor a god but the wererats worship it as such, giving it sacrifices (which it slowly consumes through its maggot offspring, feeding off the pain). The rat god sleeps but will awaken if attacked.

5 creatures have been sacrificed to the rat god and have died, becoming slithering spawn. Treat 2 as fire bats (remove ongoing fire damage, increase damage to 1d10+4) - a cross between a man and a fly; 1 as a vine horror - a mass of maggots in humanoid form; and 1 as a slaad tadpole, a large flesh-devouring worm.

10 squares are covered in maggots; treat as a treacherous ice sheet.

Two slaves, one a halfling merchant, the other a human, cower in the corner. They are slowly being eaten alive from the inside out by the flies and maggots that fill the room. If left to die, they will become slithering spawn. If saved, grant the PCs a level 5 minor quest.

Treat the rat god as an adult green dragon with the proper reskinning (no fly speed, flyby attack = slither, breath = maggot explosion, etc.).

Treasure: The wererats have thrown five 100gp gems into this room as tribute to their god.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases