Campaign World Advice

yipwyg

First Post
I am currently seeking out a new campaign world. I would love to do a homebrew one, but due to real life do not have the time to totally do it from scratch.

Currently I am leaning towards Kalamar, however I am also keeping an eye out for others. Two of my fellow players also DM for us on occasion and both use the Scarred Lands setting. I would like to use something else.

If I go with homebrew I plan on using The
Book of the Righteous for the cosmology, mythology, and Pantheon. I tend to also use the Arch-Devils and Demon Princes as
the main evil "dieties".

Currently we have 4 players + 1 DM. The party for this new campaign is the following.

2 Dwarven (Twins) Clerics of Terak (War God) 3rd level
1 Dwarven Expert/Shaman (Green Ronin) 2/1
1 Dwarven class not decided yet. 3rd level

I have decided that the campaign is going to focus initially on locating a lost dwarven city that was besieged by mind flayers. So at the begining it is going to be mainly underground.

I would appreciate any advice or info on either the homebrew idea, a campaign setting, or accessories I might look into.

Thanks

yipwyg.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Well, instead of using a campaign setting have you thought about just starting in one of the great citty books (like Bluffside) and then just expanding the world as you need to? This way you get to start out in one of the most interesting cities ever created and then you can just define things as you go. You're already using a great book for the gods and cosmology, and there's no reason they won't fit into Bluffside.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*starts the chant* Scarred Lands, Scarred Lands! :)

*chuckles* Seriously I'd take up on Crothy advice. But I would HOPE you would try out Dming the Scarred Lands. It IS rather fun. Just ask my players! :)

Crothian

First Post
Nightfall said:
*starts the chant* Scarred Lands, Scarred Lands! :)

*chuckles* Seriously I'd take up on Crothy advice. But I would HOPE you would try out Dming the Scarred Lands. It IS rather fun. Just ask my players! :)

You might want to reread his post, especially the part about two of the other guys in his group already run scarred lands so he wants to try something different. So, I think with him you are preaching to the chior. :D

yipwyg

First Post
hehehehehe

Scarred Lands is fun I admit. Currently playing a Forsaken Elf Wizard (Necromancer) from hallowfaust that is Lawful Neutral. Due to some party decisions in game, am leaning more towards standard mage.

I'll look more into the city books. Saw Genavue (SP) and that looked interesting. I'll have to check on some reviews.

I really like the Book of the Righteous, I think it is a great book.

Thanks for the info.

Nightfall

Crothian said:

You might want to reread his post, especially the part about two of the other guys in his group already run scarred lands so he wants to try something different. So, I think with him you are preaching to the chior. :D

Doh..Well it was worth a shot.

Okay do Bluffside and/or Freeport. You'll be happy there. I guess I just can't stop myself today. ;)

Nightfall

yipwyg said:
Scarred Lands is fun I admit. Currently playing a Forsaken Elf Wizard (Necromancer) from hallowfaust that is Lawful Neutral. Due to some party decisions in game, am leaning more towards standard mage.

Sounds like fun. Yeah try the city books. Either Bluffside or Freeport. Both are VERY strong urban centers.

boothbey

First Post
Dwarves

Call me biased, but I like FR. What made me think of it is your twin npcs. In Forgotten Realms, there was a period of increased dwarven fertility that brought about a higher number of twins being born. They even gave it a feat "Thunder Twin". Heh.

All kinds of lost dwarven holdings scattered around. As far as supplements...I vaguely recall an issue of Dragon magazine dealing with dwarves specializing in the slaying of Mind Flayers. Can't remember when it came out though. No doubt it is somewhere on the shelf above me.

Not normally a fan of dwarves myself, but that sounds like it could be a fun campaign. Maybe not as fun as my seafaring dwarves I developed for a world Dragongirl and I were working on. ;)

Last edited:

Dragongirl

First Post
Re: Dwarves

boothbey said:
Not normally a fan of dwarves myself, but that sounds like it could be a fun campaign. Maybe not as fun as my seafaring dwarves I developed for a world Dragongirl and I were working on. ;)

You have to forgive Boothbey, if it is not a rogue or bard, preferably human he is not "normally a fan". :p

I believe that increased chance of dwarven twins also introduced magic to the dwarves. Don't even ask Boothbey about that.

Crothian

First Post
Nightfall said:

Sounds like fun. Yeah try the city books. Either Bluffside or Freeport. Both are VERY strong urban centers.

Ya, we're just waiting for NF to write up how they fit into the Scarred Land. :D

Remove ads