D&D 4E Not Suitable For Work: A 4e Design Contest Idea

EP

First Post
I'm looking to start up something here (but in a good way). I'd like to start up a monthly contest with a 24-hour timeframe to create something new for 4e. Anyone who wants to participate can do during that time but on certain conditions...

1. It must be designed at work/school or somewhere else other than the comforts of home. No sourcebooks allowed, no DDI, or any references. It will be on the honour system, but that's the main catch. You're relying on your memory of the rules to make it work. This will exclude neuro-surgeons from having the time to invest on these contests, but I can live with that.
2. It must be 4e and compatible with the GSL.
3. The topic will not be announced until the day of the contest and they will not be easy (but they won't be hard either, just challenging).

However, I want to get some feedback and thoughts before going through with this. This will be connected to our Combat Advantage series of free PDFs. If we go with a winning entry concept (which I'm still leaning towards), the winner will have to be voted on and gets an edition of Combat Advantage all to itself. Everyone but myself are allowed to enter.

Thoughts?

fissionessence

First Post
What do you mean 'designed' somewhere other than home? Does that mean written up and everything? Anywhere I have a computer I also have access to all [most] of my gaming stuff. (At my house, I have my pdfs, and at my girlfriend's I have all my books; I don't have access to a computer anywhere else!) Would I have to go to a library to qualify?

~

EP

First Post
The terminology is a bit looser than how it's initially worded (which is why I wanted to start this thread before going through with anything). Where you do doesn't matter so long as it's without any references to verify. It's a test of memory and that means for the entire creative process. Wherever you are doesn't matter so much as how you do it.

haaz

First Post
I am interrested in participating! When do you intend it to take place? And can we have an idea of what will be asked? or is it up to each participant to come up with something new and interresting?

EP

First Post
I am interrested in participating! When do you intend it to take place? And can we have an idea of what will be asked? or is it up to each participant to come up with something new and interresting?

At the moment, I'm thinking about starting each one on the first Monday of every month for sure to coincide with the release of each edition of CA, but I'm bound to that at the moment. I could post a brief concept of the topic with 48 hours notice or so (that amount is up in the air) then post the full details at the start of the contest. But the topic will be determined by me and I am always up to suggestions (sent by PM or email so as not to spoil the fun in advance).

EP

First Post
Had a chance to sleep on it and revised the plan a little.

Each month will have a theme posted in an edition of CA at the start of a month. This will allow everyone interested a chance to bone up on those rules and memorize as much as possible. Individual contests centered around this theme will then be announced and a week-long contest will be provided for it. This will give people a chance to work on it when they have time but the condition of "no books" will always apply. They can do it on their first lunch break, during a crazy boring class, or while the spouse is out shopping/watching sports/painting minis. This will create three or four contests per theme (depending on turnout).

It is also possible for certain variants on the difficulty to be used. One theme may be conjuration and the contest may be to create the basis for a summoning class without using arcane or divine power sources. In this case, it may stretch out to cover the entire month or broken up into several contests involving a continuing phase of class creation. Week One features the class features and power source explanation; Week Two at the at-wills, etc.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like the general idea. Sort of "Iron Chef."

1. It must be designed at work/school or somewhere else other than the comforts of home.

Then, it should be something small, on the order of a feat or power, not a whole class. Some of us have to, you know, do our work or participate in class.

2. It must be 4e and compatible with the GSL.
Then, you need to be lenient about naming-collisions. You don't want to disqualify a really cool feat entry just because there is some warlock power with the same name (or some other technicality that makes it GSL incompatible). Just make sure the entry doesn't violate the spirit of the GSL ("This feat is for use with my house rule where hit points are replaced with a damage threshold...").

-- 77IM

Remove ads