E1 Death's Reach Epic Destiny Hooks

darjr

I crit!
I really like the first one. Very spooky, though I would find a way to reveal to the character, at some point, who the vision was from. That revelation in the hook was what made all the difference to me, and just might panic, a little, a PC.

I especially like the advice about having them pick their epic destiny sooner than they can have it so you can start to foreshadow some of these things.

Nice.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I don't get it. Does the player select the epic destiny at level 21 and then the destiny is a plot hook later? I thought they had to perform some large epic quest to even get the destiny. I'm confused.

darjr

I crit!
They choose their epic destiny at some time. At 21st level they begin to get the benefits of their chosen epic destiny, regardless if they chose it at level 21 or earlier.

There is a destiny quest... but that is something they do as a part of their epic destiny.

There are prerequisites.

I don't get it. Does the player select the epic destiny at level 21 and then the destiny is a plot hook later? I thought they had to perform some large epic quest to even get the destiny. I'm confused.
Nope, the quest doesn't come until the end of the Epic Destiny usually. Anyone can select an Epic Destiny, but only by completing their Destiny Quest do they gain access to the form of immortality that the ED grants; if they are destroyed permanently without ever completing their Destiny Quest, they eventually fade into oblivion and are eternally forgotten.

baphomet68

First Post
I love the list of ED's here. I agree the 1st is super cool & spooky. I would like more examples of ED's though. The concept is cool and sound, but it seems like a lot of players I know don't get it. Maybe some more generalized entrance to Destiny at character generation? Or maybe some DM suggestions for forshadowing ED's without being locked into one yet?
For example, omens, fortune tellers, visions, and visitations from fallen friends or foes could sling portents all through Paragon tier (and end of Heroic), gradually conveying more info as a ED is chosen. You could even use this "baiting" to get your players to decide on one.
I really would like to see more exploration of this ED concept, as it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest innovations of 4e.

Remove ads