What do we know about 'Revenge of the Giants'?

DNH

First Post
Less than four months remain until the release of WotC's 4e "super-adventure" 'Revenge of the Giants'. This looks mighty interesting but I would really like to know more about it as soon as possible. Here is what we already know, based on info gleaned from the net.
  • "Fee-Fie-Foe-FUN! Evil giants seek to avenge past defeats by ravaging the civilized lands, and the only thing standing in their way is a renowned band of heroes." From the WotC product catalog page.
  • 4e D&D "super-adventure.
  • Designed for paragon-level characters (14th-17th level, according to the published cover image; interestingly, the "editorial review" section on Amazon.com says "designed to take characters from 12th to 14th level").
  • Authors = Bill Slaviscek, Mike Mearls, David Noonan.
  • Release date 17 August 2009 or thereabouts (WotC product catalog still says simply "August 2009" but Amazon.co.uk is a bit more specific/optimistic).
  • Format = Hardbound book. Originally touted as a boxed set with battlemaps and tokens but confirmed as a hardbound book at DDXP.
  • Page count = 160. Nice and meaty, then.
  • Cost = About $40, £18.
  • I cannot find it now but I am certain I once read a post or an article from Mike Mearls where he said that Acererak may well make a return appearance in this adventure. (Source?)
  • Tokens no longer mentioned but there is "a beautiful 2-sided map featuring key locations within the adventure" (according to Amazon.com).

This post has been, and will be, edited based on information received.

I think that's about all I know about this thing just now but I am far from being an avid reader of all the various publications and forums. If anyone knows anything more or wants to add/correct anything, please feel free to post below.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Don't quote me on this, but I have a vague recollection of some minis being included in the set. Does anyone remember that?

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm fairly sure that Revenge of the Giants is no longer a boxed set, but now just a hardcover adventure. I vaguely recall someone from WotC commenting that the production costs for a boxed set were prohibitive. (Although it is of course entirely possible that I imagined or dreamt that ;))

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Don't quote me on this, but I have a vague recollection of some minis being included in the set. Does anyone remembers that?
I think the original plan was for the boxed set to include counters, but I don't think actual minis were ever part of the plan.

Obergnom

First Post
I really hope they will release more info soon. I was planning to use this adventure since I began my 4e campaign last year, and my players just hit level 12...

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Yeah, perhaps someone from Wotc can chime in - especially if it would make sense to play the G series (converted) before getting into this. Does "Revenge" mean "coming after G?" Or is it just a way of saying "same thing, different name, don´t want to confuse you?"

Ktulu

First Post
Does anyone know if its set in the default 4e setting or Greyhawk?

Mike

Without any official statement, I would confidently assume 4e setting. They will almost definitely have a page at the beginning explaining where-how to use it in other campaign settings.

armorclass10

First Post
I'm fairly sure that Revenge of the Giants is no longer a boxed set, but now just a hardcover adventure. I vaguely recall someone from WotC commenting that the production costs for a boxed set were prohibitive. (Although it is of course entirely possible that I imagined or dreamt that ;))

Not a dream, I think they mentioned the change in a podcast....either that or we are having the same dream.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases