-Orb of Deception, Tome of Binding, Tome of Readiness
-Powers
-Paragon Paths

Heroic, Paragon, and Epic tier feats.

Multiclass feats.

Familiar Feats.

Magic Tomes.

New Rituals.

I'm going to open discussion with a question... What does orb of deception ACTUALLY do? AP pg98
Orb of Deception- When you miss an enemy with a wizard illusion power, choose another enemy within 3 squares of the missed target. The chosen enemy cannot also be a target of the original attack. Repeat the attack against this new target, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma mod.

So taking Grasping Shadows (lvl1 illusion area burst 1 with an effect line.) I attack, miss, pick a new target within 3 who wasn't an original target, and repeat the area burst 1 attack on that target (and the squares around him) and the new burst also creates the same effect as when I missed earlier?

This seems overpowered, but how else do I interpret this? Repeating the attack includes the effect and miss lines of the attack, right? What about the size of the attack?

However, after a nerf I can't see anyone taking this...

open for discussion

Last edited:

mohalloran

First Post
From what I can tell, you get to choose an enemy 3 squares away that you can make the attack roll against, unless that enemy was already a part of the initial attack. Therefore, if you were to miss with a area burst 1, you can choose someone 3 squares away and act as if they were a part of the initial burst 1.

CaBaNa

First Post
From what I can tell, you get to choose an enemy 3 squares away that you can make the attack roll against, unless that enemy was already a part of the initial attack. Therefore, if you were to miss with a area burst 1, you can choose someone 3 squares away and act as if they were a part of the initial burst 1.

Does that mean that the Effect: and Miss: lines apply on the secondary target as well?

mohalloran

First Post
Does that mean that the Effect: and Miss: lines apply on the secondary target as well?

I would assume that as well. Unless the miss/effect lines have either already effected the creature or are bonuses to you. So, if the miss/effect is something to the order of "Half Damage" or "Blinded, save ends" or even "Gain a +1 to hit til the end of your next turn" then yes. But if it were to be something more like "Gain a +2 to AC", you would only get the plus two once, not twice, since you would be assuming the target was part of the initial attack.

Oni

First Post
Just want to point out that there has already been some errata for AP.

Also one thing I didn't see errated and I noticed right away is the Planar Gateway power from the Bond Summoner PP. Unless I've missed something RAW it's an encounter insta-gib on anything that gets affected by it.

If its a free action and anytime a creature enters and adjacent square and it allows you to slide the creature as part of the attack it creates its own infinite loop as long as you hit.

elecgraystone

First Post
What does orb of deception ACTUALLY do? AP pg98
Simply this. If any of the targets of an illusion spell are missed, you get to add one extra target that is within 3 squares of one of the missed target as long as they weren't an original target [with +cha to att]. SO +1 target as long as someone else is close enough.

Yep! They aren't a secondary target though. They are an additional primary target. You count them in all ways as if you'd have attacked them in the first place [with the exception of the bonus to hit].

Nice but not overpowered or needing a nerf. Nothing like the cheese of auto-fail saves with some OTHER orb power [grumble, grumble...]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
If its a free action and anytime a creature enters and adjacent square and it allows you to slide the creature as part of the attack it creates its own infinite loop as long as you hit.

Slides don't trigger opportunity actions (PHB, p285) so you can only use the free action if the creature enters the square on its own.

Oni

First Post
Slides don't trigger opportunity actions (PHB, p285) so you can only use the free action if the creature enters the square on its own.

That's the thing, it's not an Immediate Reaction or Inturrupt, so it's not an OA as I understand it. It's simply a Free Action that can be used anytime and an unlimited number of times with a trigger of entering a square.

renau1g

First Post
It might not kill the creature (& I don't have the book so I can't say), but you can keep sliding that creature back and forth so it can't attack, and let your allies pummel it from a distance?

JoeNotCharles

First Post
That's the thing, it's not an Immediate Reaction or Inturrupt, so it's not an OA as I understand it. It's simply a Free Action that can be used anytime and an unlimited number of times with a trigger of entering a square.

Ok, that's gotta be a mistake - it doesn't make any sense for a "Free Action" (which you can only do on YOUR turn!) to be triggered when "a creature starts its turn on the planar gateway or enters a square adjacent to the planar gateway". By RAW, the first clause can never trigger, by definition, and the second clause can only trigger by forced movement on your turn, or when the creature uses an immediate action to move itself on your turn.

That should say "Immediate Reaction", no question. (I don't think it can be an "Immediate Interrupt", because you can't interrupt the start of a creature's turn!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases