House Rules: If I show you mine, will you show me yours?

Whimsical

Explorer
Here's my first draft of my 4th D&D house rules. I would appreciate any thoughts on them, and I would also like to know what house rules are in the 4th edition D&D games you're in.

Action Point
Instead of taking an extra action when you can spend an action point, you can use one of these effects:
• Add 20 to a skill check or ability check you’re making instead of the result of your die roll.
• When you fail a saving throw, change the result of that saving throw to a success. No action.

My original name for this rule was "[Intercourse] that [extreta]! I succeed!" Sure, it means you can go for that nearly impossible move and make it with no issue, but that's OK. I prefer a more romantic/cinematic game. And if that means you can choose to pull off a badass move once every two combats, go right ahead. Otherwise, you can use if you are tired of failing a skill check and you want to put an end to the string of ones you have been rolling. Plus, it provides a way to use action points in skill challenges and non-combat situations.

Acrobatics
You can use Acrobatics to fall down a shallow pit without interrupting your movement.
Drop Down: Part of a move action.
• DC: distance of drop in feet; maximum of nine feet.
• Success: You drop down as if you were entering difficult terrain.
• Failure: You drop down prone and lose the rest of your move action.
• Uses Movement: Count the square you drop into as part of your move.
• Greater Drops: See “Reduce Falling Damage,” page 181.

This situation simply isn't addressed by the rules at all. Either the game designers never considered it, or it was considered too fiddly and relegated to be handled as a stunt or by pg. 42.

You can make an Acrobatics check to move down stairs or a steep slope as if it wasn’t difficult terrain.
Move Down Difficult Terrain: Part of a move action; once per move action.
• DC: 10.
• Success: Move down 1 square while ignoring difficult terrain of stairs or a slope. For every five points you exceed the DC, you increase the number of squares of difficult terrain you ignore by 1.
• Failure by 4 or less: You fall prone into the first square you moved down into.
• Failure by 5 or more: You fall down the difficult terrain, taking 1d6 damage for every square you fall into. You end your fall at the last square that doesn’t lead further down prone.
• Trained: You can make another Acrobatics check to reduce the falling damage. See “Reduce Falling Damage,” page 181. If you take no damage, you’re not prone but you lose the rest of your move action.

Athletics
You can make an Athletics check to move up stairs or a steep slope as if it wasn’t difficult terrain.
Move Up Difficult Terrain: Part of a move action; once per move action.
• Success: Move up 1 square while ignoring difficult terrain of stairs or a slope. For every five points you exceed the DC, you increase the number of squares of difficult terrain you ignore into by 1.
• Failure: You fall prone in the square where you began the ascent.

Other situations that would normally be resolved as a stunt, but where I want to have a consistent and thought-out process instead.

History & Nature
Humanoid Knowledge: Make a History check instead of a Nature check to identify a humanoid that has the natural origin (a humanoid of the natural world.) See “Monster Knowledge Checks,” page 180.
Mount Knowledge: You can either make a History check or a Nature check to identify a mount that has the natural origin. Once you make your check with one skill, you won’t be able to use the other to identify the same creature.

Just giving History some much-needed love, to bring it in-line with the rest of the "knowledge" skills, and because it establishes the idea that humanoids have been in conflict with each other for thousands of years and those who know their history know how their enemies fight.

Weapon & Implement Expertise
You gain a bonus feat at 5th level that you can use to select either the Weapon Expertise feat or the Implement Expertise feat.

What can I say? EN World's message boards made a successful Diplomacy check on me. Maybe you can, too!

Ritual Books & Scrolls
Ritual books as described in the rules don’t exist. Ritual books are simply binders to compile a collection of ritual scrolls, and costs 1 gp. You can use a ritual scroll as you would normally use a ritual book by providing the necessary component. Creating a ritual scroll takes 8 hours. Because ritual scrolls are made with the best papers and inks, ritual books and scrolls are waterproof.

This is a carryover of my house rule for wizard's spell books from 3rd edition. There's no good reason why a person couldn't copy a spell from a nonmagical D&D spell book and have it cost so much time and money to do so. Although this rule retains the costs of creating copies of rituals, it grants you the benefit of being able to use it as a scroll in desperate situations.

Elric

First Post
You gain a bonus feat at 5th level that you can use to select either the Weapon Expertise feat or the Implement Expertise feat.

What can I say? EN World's message boards made a successful Diplomacy check on me. Maybe you can, too!

Instead of giving Expertise feats for free you could simply give characters +1 to hit at levels 5/15/25 (and disallow the Expertise feats, of course). Then you wouldn't have to worry about affecting some characters (weapon + implement users) more than others, or adversely affecting improvised attacks or things like a Dragonborn's Breath.

This will probably be harder to do than giving free Expertise feats if you're using WotC's character builder, though. A similar "non-feat" fix for the scaling of FRW defenses is to give PCs +1 to each of Fort/Ref/Will at levels 5/15/25 and disallow the PHII epic feats Robust Defenses, Epic Fortitude, Epic Reflex, and Epic Will.

There's a whole thread in House Rules where people discuss house rules to address the scaling issues without the need for the PH-II feats. http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...ves-feat-tax-solution-hit-f-r-w-defenses.html

Kinneus

Explorer
Humanoid Knowledge: Make a History check instead of a Nature check to identify a humanoid that has the natural origin (a humanoid of the natural world.) See “Monster Knowledge Checks,” page 180.

Just giving History some much-needed love, to bring it in-line with the rest of the "knowledge" skills, and because it establishes the idea that humanoids have been in conflict with each other for thousands of years and those who know their history know how their enemies fight.
This is one I use, myself. Never understood why the hermit ranger or shaman who spent his whole life squatting in the woods would know all about the ancient hobgoblin empire, while the history buff wouldn't. Every other knowledge type has a creature type associated with it; why not humanoids and history?

Oompa

First Post
Action Point
Instead of taking an extra action when you can spend an action point, you can use one of these effects:
• Add 20 to a skill check or ability check you’re making instead of the result of your die roll.
• When you fail a saving throw, change the result of that saving throw to a success. No action.

My original name for this rule was "[Intercourse] that [extreta]! I succeed!" Sure, it means you can go for that nearly impossible move and make it with no issue, but that's OK. I prefer a more romantic/cinematic game. And if that means you can choose to pull off a badass move once every two combats, go right ahead. Otherwise, you can use if you are tired of failing a skill check and you want to put an end to the string of ones you have been rolling. Plus, it provides a way to use action points in skill challenges and non-combat situations.

I understand you want cinematic combats and situations, but i think a +20 is to high.. I myself would rule it down to +10.. And the saving throw not a automatic succes but a reroll with +5 bonus..
Acrobatics
You can use Acrobatics to fall down a shallow pit without interrupting your movement.
Drop Down: Part of a move action.
• DC: distance of drop in feet; maximum of nine feet.
• Success: You drop down as if you were entering difficult terrain.
• Failure: You drop down prone and lose the rest of your move action.
• Uses Movement: Count the square you drop into as part of your move.
• Greater Drops: See “Reduce Falling Damage,” page 181.

This situation simply isn't addressed by the rules at all. Either the game designers never considered it, or it was considered too fiddly and relegated to be handled as a stunt or by pg. 42.

You can make an Acrobatics check to move down stairs or a steep slope as if it wasn’t difficult terrain.
Move Down Difficult Terrain: Part of a move action; once per move action.
• Success: Move down 1 square while ignoring difficult terrain of stairs or a slope. For every five points you exceed the DC, you increase the number of squares of difficult terrain you ignore by 1.
• Failure by 4 or less: You fall prone into the first square you moved down into.
• Failure by 5 or more: You fall down the difficult terrain, taking 1d6 damage for every square you fall into. You end your fall at the last square that doesn’t lead further down prone.
• Trained: You can make another Acrobatics check to reduce the falling damage. See “Reduce Falling Damage,” page 181. If you take no damage, you’re not prone but you lose the rest of your move action.

Athletics
You can make an Athletics check to move up stairs or a steep slope as if it wasn’t difficult terrain.
Move Up Difficult Terrain: Part of a move action; once per move action.
• Success: Move up 1 square while ignoring difficult terrain of stairs or a slope. For every five points you exceed the DC, you increase the number of squares of difficult terrain you ignore into by 1.
• Failure: You fall prone in the square where you began the ascent.

Other situations that would normally be resolved as a stunt, but where I want to have a consistent and thought-out process instead.

Do what i do and rule these kinds of actions players want to do on the fly..
You are creating many new rules for situations that almost never occur (in my group it is)

History & Nature
Mount Knowledge: You can either make a History check or a Nature check to identify a mount that has the natural origin. Once you make your check with one skill, you won’t be able to use the other to identify the same creature.

History does not really need some love.. It's up to the players if they want to use it..

Really as a player i would like to have my own freedom of which feature i take or not, even if i would have 1 point lesser attack bonus than my teammates..

Ritual Books & Scrolls
Ritual books as described in the rules don’t exist. Ritual books are simply binders to compile a collection of ritual scrolls, and costs 1 gp. You can use a ritual scroll as you would normally use a ritual book by providing the necessary component. Creating a ritual scroll takes 8 hours. Because ritual scrolls are made with the best papers and inks, ritual books and scrolls are waterproof.

This is a carryover of my house rule for wizard's spell books from 3rd edition. There's no good reason why a person couldn't copy a spell from a nonmagical D&D spell book and have it cost so much time and money to do so. Although this rule retains the costs of creating copies of rituals, it grants you the benefit of being able to use it as a scroll in desperate situations.

A ritual book is just a normal book with a lot pages which describes the various needs and things needed for a ritual..

A ritual scroll is inlayed with magic and cuts the casting time down a half..

Therefor you cannot copy a scroll (it say's so in the PHB)

Oompa

First Post
This is one I use, myself. Never understood why the hermit ranger or shaman who spent his whole life squatting in the woods would know all about the ancient hobgoblin empire, while the history buff wouldn't. Every other knowledge type has a creature type associated with it; why not humanoids and history?

I don't get it..

Hobgoblins, humans and the likes are natural creatures.. To identify a natural creature, you make a nature check..

Learning more about a monster can be done in two way's..

Nature check gives you abilities and the likes..
History check gives you history about the creature..

Elric

First Post
Action Point

As mentioned, both of these benefits seem rather large.

For the former, adding 10 seems more reasonable.

For the latter, auto-success after you fail a save seems too strong. Spend an action point for an auto-success before you roll a save seems reasonable. So would spend an action point for a straight-up reroll on a failed save.

The Expertise "solution" I mentioned in my previous post is used for a game I've played in (I'm not GM), and my guess is by the time the PCs get to level 5 the game will have the "+1 to FRW at levels 5/15/25" rule as well.

Another nice house rule from that game:
Multi-classing When a PC takes a multi-class feat which requires the PC take a trained skill their current class already requires them to take (e.g., a Paladin multi-classing as a Cleric) they can instead take a different skill from the skill list of the new class.

(It doesn’t make sense that certain multiclass combinations are discouraged because of the overlapping skills)

Majushi

First Post
Really as a player i would like to have my own freedom of which feature i take or not, even if i would have 1 point lesser attack bonus than my teammates..

I don't know about you, but if my DM offers me free stuff I say yes, please. Thank you sir. May I have another? (not entirely true. I would question my DM's motives. he's eeevil...)

This isn't about taking away your choices. This is an offer of something you wouldn't have had a choice for in the first place...

Oompa

First Post
The free feature would be great, but don't limit the choice between two features..

I am a DM that advices on certain things but shall never tell you something is bad or is needed.. My players choose their features and likes themselves and if they get burned by it, they get burned..

Majushi

First Post
The free feature would be great, but don't limit the choice between two features..

I am a DM that advices on certain things but shall never tell you something is bad or is needed.. My players choose their features and likes themselves and if they get burned by it, they get burned..

I agree. To an extent.

But clearly the condition of free stuff in this case is option a or b.

Neither of which are bad options.

In fact, these are options that most people should be taking anyway. (because the math is wonky)

Kinneus

Explorer
I don't get it..

Hobgoblins, humans and the likes are natural creatures.. To identify a natural creature, you make a nature check..

Learning more about a monster can be done in two way's..

Nature check gives you abilities and the likes..
History check gives you history about the creature..
The only problem with that is, by RAW and the DCs given in the MM, your 'Nature' check often ends up telling you a great deal about the creature's history, for some reason. Take, for example, the goblin entry:
The following information about goblins can be obtained with a successful Nature check.
DC 15: Goblin's bellicose nature can be traced, in part, to reverence for the god Bane...
Huh? Why does a Nature check net you information on their Religion?
DC 20: Hobgoblins once had an empire in which bugbears and goblins were their servants. This empire fell to internal strife...
Here, the Nature check nets you historical information. Why would a ranger who has made his living as a fur trapper know anything about an ancient hobgoblin empire? More to the point, why would he know more than the eladrin wizard who probably studied that sort of thing?
DC 25: Hobgoblins developed mundane and magical methods for taming and breeding beasts... They have a knack for working with wolves and worgs, and some drake breeds owe their existence directly to hobgoblin meddling.
DC 30: Given their brutal magical traditions, hobgoblins might have created their cousins in ancient times...
This seems like more History stuff, bordering on Arcana.
So a single Nature check gives you information on History, Religion, and Arcana (and, interestingly, almost nothing on the goblin's nature, their anatomy or natural abilities). How does that seem reasonable or fair?
House-ruling monster knowledge checks just makes good sense.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases