Arcane Power = Epic Fail ;)

Herschel

Adventurer
A bit tongue-in-cheek, of course. Normally I'm a person who doesn't really care about recycled or overly "accurate" art in books so long as it's cool and relatively close.

That said, some of the Swordmage art is really, truly bad for a couple of the Paragon Paths. Look at pages 68 and 69.

On 68 it's one of the "pet" races (Dragonborn) wielding two swords and wearing chain. Wasting feats to nerf your defenses featured? Just to equal your warding you'd have to multiclass as a Ranger, Two-weapon Defense, Hide & Chain with a Dex of 13 on an already sub-optimal race. "Look kids, here's how to build a character that sucks." ;)

For 69, pick up a small shield to negate the warding bonus for using a one-handed weapon? :D

As I said, I rarely get worked up over art but these just bugged the living shizzle out of me. I generally love the book and the powers and flavor added (except the secondary stat choices for Sorcerers, but oh well).

Ktulu

First Post
You (Everyone) keep using that word [epic fail]...I do not think it means what you think it does..

I laugh at how often "epic fail" is used in conjunction with "slight mistake". Epic fail should be more like when WotC had their countown on the site, and when it reached zero, the site crashed. THAT, is epic fail. In the face of obviousness, one chooses poorly.

Now, however, as to the art. I noticed the dragonborn thing, too, and was having trouble figuring it out. At first I was like, "oh, snap, two-weapon sword-maging, wow..." Then I read the PP and didn't see anything dealing with that. I was, sadly, bummed...Ok, I take it back, that would have been cool and they made me sad.

Remathilis

Legend
On 68 it's one of the "pet" races (Dragonborn) wielding two swords and wearing chain. Wasting feats to nerf your defenses featured? Just to equal your warding you'd have to multiclass as a Ranger, Two-weapon Defense, Hide & Chain with a Dex of 13 on an already sub-optimal race. "Look kids, here's how to build a character that sucks." ;)

Mayhaps its a tempest fighter from Martial Power?

Martial Power said:
Tempest Technique
When you wield two melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with weapons that have the offhand property.
You gain Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites.
When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons.
This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have the off-hand property.

Ktulu

First Post
I know, Obryn, I was being so, as well. After my seriousness, I become increasingly depressed at how the art did not, in fact, depict what I was hoping to get. :)

avin

First Post
Motp 142 has an illustration for a Gatecrasher (rogue paragon path) which shows a dwarf using a hammer on a Rakshasa. Go figure out... o0

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

Posting to the effect of, "The threads stinks!" is not exactly an example of epic win. If you don't like a thread, there are literally hundreds of others you could take active, constructive part in, rather than using your time on flat negativity.

So, please, don't threadcrap.

Harr

First Post
Epic fail should be more like when WotC had their countown on the site, and when it reached zero, the site crashed. THAT, is epic fail.

Did that actually happen?? LOL! :D

@Herschel: I don't think it's even possible to have the art follow the game rules accurately, is it? I think they've done pretty well with it so far considering (even though I would really love it if it were more like [a certain other RPG publisher]'s art, but that's neither here nor there).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases