Seeking some PbP Advice from successful PbP GMs & Players

Azgulor

Adventurer
Originally posted in Talking-the-Talk. Not sure that was the right place, however, so posting here also.

-----------------------------------------
The frequency that I get to play face-face falls into the “not often enough” category. I believe it’s a pretty common issue and like many, I’ve dabbled with PbP to help scratch the itch. I’ve had it be successful a few times but all of the games petered out after several months. I’ve also had a couple of false starts where the demands on my personal time couldn’t keep up with a game. Posting a couple of times a week works ok but having to post daily or even multiple times in a day just to stay in the thick of things isn’t sustainable. Sometimes work and family demands allow it but it’s rare.

Since I typically sit on the GM side of the screen, I’ve been toying with the idea of running my own PbP game. However, before I dive into the deep end of the pool, I was hoping to get some pointers from those who have had success with PbP games.

A few ideas I’m kicking around in hopes of increasing the success rate:

• Episodic-style game rather than full-on day-in-day-out campaign or adventure series/path style of play. I.e., shorter plotlines with more frequent jumping on points for new players or replacement characters.
• Set “post-by or lose your turn” dates. I’m thinking bi-weekly or three-times a week.
• Tighter campaign starters or themes rather than the usual “Strangers in a bar.” Whether it’s event-driven or a common theme, I believe the more that ties the players together the faster the game gets rolling and more compelling it is to stay involved. This may just be wishful thinking on my part, though.

Am I going down the right path? Would you be more or less interested in playing in a game with these types of boundary conditions?

Are there any other suggestions to increase success or pitfalls to watch out for?

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases