My Wizard Build, suggestions?

Ask your DM if you can have a Cunning Staff. By the rules as written, quarterstaves can be used as an implement even if the enchantment on them isn't in the implement staff category (the FAQ on swordmages outlines what benefits you gain when you use a weapon as an implement - enhancment, crit, property, no weapon proficiency on attacks). Customer Service has confirmed this (and with good consistency, unlike previous questions where you can sort of guide CS by phrasing the question) and the character builder allows this as well.

No, by the rules as written Staff can be used as quarterstaff but not vice versa. I don´t know if this is updated or errataed by customer service.

keterys

First Post
No, by the rules as written Staff can be used as quarterstaff but not vice versa. I don´t know if this is updated or errataed by customer service.

The rules as written are perhaps less clear than you might think. A quarterstaff is in the staff weapon group, wizards may use a staff as an implement, by RAW a quarterstaff may be used. If you use the WotC character builder, it'll even automatically put the bonus into all your powers.

There will be tremendous table variance, though, because RAI are quite possibly (or even probably) the other way, with tremendous care to clarify that staff implements can be used as quarterstaffs in repeated places, but no talk of the reverse.

simen

First Post
Where does it in the rules say that a Quarterstaff can be used as a Staff Implement? It says the other way around, that a Staff Implement can be used as a Quarterstaff, but not vica versa. Strange as i might saound, but that is RAW the way I see it. No one would be happier to be wrong in this issue than me if that is so :)

It would be great if Wotc once and for all said yes or no to this in the Faq or with an errata.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
If you are worried about switching out implements during combat, take a disembodied hand as your familiar instead. It'll save you a feat.

simen

First Post
I didn't find "Disembodied hand" in AP. And second, the Spider helps me with my controlling. I'm quoting...

Code:
You gain a +2 bonus to Climb checks. 
Enemies take a -1 penalty to saving throws against your arcane 
powers that immobilize or slow them.

I'll give you an example where i need Quickdraw...

I attack with Sleep using "Orb of Inescapable Consequences" holding a "Earthroot Staff" in my off-hand. Since Sleep has two save effects I can only use my "Orb of Imposition" and "Orb of Ultimate Imposition" on one of them, the unconscious part. To then get a lock the DM has to be unlucky and fail on hos saving throw for Slow, or I could Quickdraw "Orb of Karmic Resonance" and be sure he'll fail... This way I have a solo "unconscious" at level 11 using the powers and items discribed above and with "Spell Focus", Spider and "Phrenic Crown".

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I'll give you an example where i need Quickdraw...

I attack with Sleep using "Orb of Inescapable Consequences" holding a "Earthroot Staff" in my off-hand. Since Sleep has two save effects I can only use my "Orb of Imposition" and "Orb of Ultimate Imposition" on one of them, the unconscious part. To then get a lock the DM has to be unlucky and fail on hos saving throw for Slow, or I could Quickdraw "Orb of Karmic Resonance" and be sure he'll fail... This way I have a solo "unconscious" at level 11 using the powers and items discribed above and with "Spell Focus", Spider and "Phrenic Crown".

How is it that your DM is allowing you to take any broken magic item that you want (an Earthroot Staff is definitely broken and a Phrenic Crown is not far behind, and you forgot the Orb of Inescapable Consequences to ensure that your effect hits at all)?

Also, why would you even want to play a PC that can lock to the level you just described? I just don't get the attraction of "Sorry Mr. DM, I win and your solo loses, next challenge" whenever you want. Unlike cheat codes for a computer program where it is only the player himself, how do the encounters not get boring for everyone at the table when the PC Wizard repeatedly does this? The DM has to thrown in an extra foe every encounter, just to offset the Wizard lock and get back to a normally challenging encounter.

keterys

First Post
Where does it in the rules say that a Quarterstaff can be used as a Staff Implement?

Where does it say they can't?

Rule: p158 Wizard Implements "A wizard wielding a magic orb, staff, or wand can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of wizard powers"
Rule: p215 Weapon Groups "Weapon groups are families of weapons that share certain properties. They’re wielded similarly and are equally suited to certain kinds of attacks. In game terms, some powers and feats work only when you’re attacking with a weapon in a specific group."
Rule: p216 Definition of Staff Weapon Group "Staff: In its most basic form, a staff is a long piece of wood or some other substance, roughly the same
diameter along its whole length."
Rule: p218 Weapon Chart showing what weapon group a quarterstaff is in "Quarterstaff ... Staff"

So, RAW the wizard may use a staff as an implement, and a quarterstaff most definitely is a staff. Ergo, RAW, they can use a Quarterstaff as an implement (or a Long Staff, Bo Staff, Three Piece Staff, or whatever other types of Staff may eventually be produced).

RAI? Hoo boy, I'll make no bets. Especially not after a WotC staffer posted that character builder adding quarterstaff enhancement bonuses to powers was intentional and correct - before that I might have guessed that RAI was that it didn't work. Did they put all that text in about staff implements also working as quarterstaves because they were trying to make people understand (poorly) that it was both a weapon and implement and the implement-only versions worked a little different, or were they trying to explain (poorly) that they were a completely separate beast from the staff weapon group?

Either way, the text for wizards using the staff weapon group is the same text that swordmages use to be able to use any, say, heavy blade as their implement/weapon, so in order to claim it doesn't work by RAW, you're also effectively claiming that swordmages can't use longswords for their implement powers - only 'Heavy Sword Implements', of which none have been published.

Flipguarder

First Post
"Unlike other implements, a staff also
functions as a melee weapon (treat it as a quarterstaff ).
When used in melee, a staff applies its enhancement
bonus and critical damage dice just as a weapon does."

From the magic staff intro in the PHB pg 240
Technically ALL staves are quarterstaves unless it specifically says otherwise.

Remove ads