Pathfinder 1E Interview with PATHFINDER lead designer Jason Bulmahn

Bullgrit

Adventurer
It’s been a long playtest process, full of surprises. Just a few weeks ago, for example, we realized that there were no rules for stairs in the game and had to quickly add some to the book.
Huh? Rules for stairs? [Note the plural "rules".]

Has any game had rules for stairs? The only potential concept I can think of right now is maybe attacking from higher ground, but the D&D rules already had that simple +1.

What could rules for stairs possibly be? Do other games (not just D&D) have anything like rules for stairs?

Bullgrit

Last edited:

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
It will be neat to see what they have changed.

I like 3.5 domains, so I'll be interested to see how the final Pathfinder version shakes out.

3.5 Reloaded. :)

Huh? Rules for stairs? [Note the plural "rules".]

Has any game had rules for stairs? The only potential concept I can think of right now is maybe attacking from higher ground, but the D&D rules already had that simple +1.

What could rules for stairs possibly be? Do other games (not just D&D) have anything like rules for stairs?

Bullgrit
Movement rules perhaps? "It takes 10 ft of movement to move 5ft upwars on a stair, a Climb Check DC 15 can negate this. If you fail by 5 or more points, you drop prone."

Deadboy

First Post
The fact that anyone, much less a professional game designer, would think rules for stairs was a good idea, makes my head hurt.

How does anyone seriously need themselves finding the need for rules for stairs? Gah.

jamorea

Explorer
I'm glad I'm not the only that was thrown by the 'rules for stairs' comment. I have PFRPG pre-ordered and I'll definitely be checking out the rules for stairs.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The fact that anyone, much less a professional game designer, would think rules for stairs was a good idea, makes my head hurt.

How does anyone seriously need themselves finding the need for rules for stairs? Gah.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see the gnashing about something as minor as including some consideration in the rules, whatever they may be, for stairs. Gamers never want for something to complain about.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases