Siege Of Bordrin's Watch - Page 19


What's on your mind?

  1. #181
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    The Digger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    909
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore The Digger
    "I think Gloomblade is correct." Henry turned and looked up the rough trail towards the mountains. "There will very soon come a time when it will be nearly impossible to take the horse any further. Do you then intend to leave it injured, and at the mercy of any predators?"

    "I think that would be too cruel. We should let it go now or put it out of its misery."

    OOC
    Aid Another Nature +2

 

  • #182
    Registered User
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    DEFCON 1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    5,691
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore DEFCON 1
    As the group circles around the poor animal, Wendigo kneels down and begins examining the horse. Its breathing is labored, its hair is dirty, but there is no indication of anything broken. Dorn hovers over the monk's shoulder, but it's soon obvious to him that this is beyond the scope of whatever medical training he might have had. (Dorn Aid Another Heal DC 10: [3] + 2 = 5 *failure*) He stands back up and looks a bit forlorn as there's nothing he himself can do.

    Gala yips and bounds down the rocks, coming in by the horse's head. Although the presence of a normal jackal would spook an animal such as this, Gala's connection with the natural world allows her to yip and yelp quietly in the beast's ear, licking it alongside its head, and there is a noticeable slowing down of the horse's breathing. Whatever she's doing, its calming the creature down. (Gala Nature DC 15: [7] + 12 = 19 *success*)

    Tregar, Gloomblade and Henry all move around the steed and begin relieving it of its burden. The waterskins (although not terribly heavy all things considered), are heavy enough that it could cause additional discomfort, and each of them discover that shouldering the extra water themselves is not as much of a problem as they thought. And he lightened load relaxes the horse even further. (Tregar Endurance DC 5: [6] + 15 = 21 *success*) (Gloomblade Endurance DC 5: [18] + 5 = 23 *success*) (Henry Endurance DC 5: [11] + 8 = 19 *success*)

    After another ten minutes of getting the horse calm, clearing much of the debris from around its legs and hooves, and trying his best to massage the leg that got twisted slightly underneath when the horse fell, Wendigo gently takes the reins and tries to bring it back to its feet. The horse whinneys loudly as it puts weight upon its twisted leg, (Wendigo Heal DC 10: [2] + 5 = 7 *failure*) but fortunately, it is able to take a few steps on it anyways and seems to walk the injury off. Although moving now with a noticeable slowness, the horse appears to be all right, all things considered. It's not something that the group would want to push, but for now the steed is able to continue.

    **********

    4 Successes / 1 Failure: Challenge Check 2: SUCCESS

    Reward: Horse will survive entirety of skill challenge

    SKILL CHALLENGE: 2 OF 2

  • #183
    Community Supporter
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Kobold Stew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Funcouver
    Posts
    2,277
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gold ENnie WinnerI Defended The Walls!

    ° Ignore Kobold Stew
    My communities:

    The creature's survival is of course a good thing, Gala thinks, and it won't be necessary for her to physically lead the horse if they continue to bring it with them. Nevertheless, she is cautious, now, and rather than push ahead silently, the four-footed beast starts off much fore carefully.

    At the first lip of a ridge, she easily climbs up, and puts her right forepaw on a root that won't give way, that the others can use as a handhold. Once it is seen, she continues, until the next potential obstacle. Here, this rock. Here, this path. Going is slower, but she hopes that an hour or so of this will help her fellow travellers navigate the slippery shale easier.

    At least it is not raining, she thinks.

  • #184
    Registered User
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    DEFCON 1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    5,691
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore DEFCON 1
    The jackal leads the party further into the mountains, and though the pace is slower... it's more surefooted. The elf druid certainly knows her stuff in the wilderness.

    The five men behind her watch with interest as the animal picks her way up the rocks and boulders, but all stop short when Gala above them suddenly freezes upon a small ridge. They see her ears flatten against the sides of her head, and she then turns to face everyone... letting out a small growl. The other five and the horse all go silent.

    A few of the group pick their way up through the rocks, then peak though and look down into a small valley beneath them. There they see sitting around a small fire, a band of ten orcs... chomping away on some roasted bird that one of them must have caught. They all are dressed in leathers, and each has a rusted sword or axe on his belt. Their skin is dark green, their hair is matted and dirty, and their raggedy clothes look as though they haven't been touched in years. A good guess would be that this is a small scouting party that has journeyed out further from the tunnels, probably scouting a path for the rest of the ones that are coming up and through. Especialy if they intend on getting to Overlook or Bordrin's Watch from behind.

    The six of you climb back down beneath the lip of the ridge and discuss your options on getting around or going through this band.

    Skill Check Three: Diplomacy, Perception, Stealth

    (Just as an fyi... although Diplomacy is a skill on the list, it doesn't mean it has to be used for a direct conversation with the orcs, if the group would prefer to avoid confrontation altogether. You can find a different use for the skill while still maintaining secrecy if you'd prefer. However, if you want to get further information out of them by speaking, the skill could be used for that. Just check your known languages. LOL. )

  • #185
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    EvolutionKB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    4,388
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore EvolutionKB
    My communities:

    Wendigo sees the orcs and is almost overcome by rage at the sight of the creatures; he knows what they did to his comrades at the monastery. After a few calming breaths and whispered words from Dorn, the shifter regains his composure. Knowing this is a scouting party, the shifter realized the wisdom is getting past them without conflict. He points to himself and then sneaks into the shadows away from the orcs, intent on getting around them.

    Stealth +12

  • #186
    Community Supporter
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Kobold Stew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Funcouver
    Posts
    2,277
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gold ENnie WinnerI Defended The Walls!

    ° Ignore Kobold Stew
    My communities:

    The small head of the spirit-jackal rises above the crest of the hill, and Gala sees the orcs. Direct engagement is not an option: Gala scouts out a path that circumvents the glimmer of the orcish patrols; the bonfire. Maintaining a dkscrete distance in the cool half-light, Gala forges a trail just outside of what should be a respectable distance, and leads those of her party who wish to bypass the patrol to do so.


    EDIT: Perception +13
    Last edited by Kobold Stew; Wednesday, 17th June, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: forgot skill

  • #187
    Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    stonegod's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    12,535
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    10

    ° Ignore stonegod
    My communities:

    Dorn smiles wide as the horse stands again, and seems more protective of it now. He continues his whistling until they get near the orcish mob. He sees Wendigo bristle for the attack. Calm, my friend. No battle is won by turning your hand too early. These are but distraction. Let us focus on the greater task at hand. He hoped his words would suit, but he had some tricks to make it so.

    OOC: Diplomacy +18 w/ Words of Friendship.
    stonegod -- LEB judge and spawn of Khyber since 2005 (Blog)

    My many characters | LEB Games | EtCR |Rise of a Demon Prince Story Hour

    "You be evil stonegod" -- Bront

  • #188
    PbP Addict
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

    renau1g's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16,816
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore renau1g
    My communities:

    Tregar follows closely behind the others, he was at home in the mountains and kept his eyes open for some way past these scouts without warning the main body.

    He turned back and whispered "Pssstt...Henry, get up here and help an ol' dwarf for a second", hoping the human's eyes were better then his aging ones.

    OOC - Perception +5
    Last edited by renau1g; Friday, 19th June, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

  • #189
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Insight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    5,791
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    5

    ° Ignore Insight
    My communities:

    Gloomblade smirks at the sight of these orcs. "No sense talkin' to 'em," he points out. "They're half me kin, but I don't reckon they'd even talk to me. Better to get 'round 'em."

    The Half-Orc looks down at the gathered Orcs, then to the Bard. "If you wanna get their attention, though, I could move into their backside and give 'em a nasty surprise."

    OOC: Stealth +11
    Last edited by Insight; Thursday, 18th June, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Leaving EN World for the land of novel writing. I'll be back someday.

  • #190
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    The Digger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    909
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore The Digger
    Henry is slightly taken aback by the actions and intentions of his companions. He has neither the build nor the skill nor the equipment to be stealthy and neither is he the most perceptive of people.

    Moving as slowly and quietly as he can he tried to see and point out any feasible paths for the dwarf Invoker. But even though he is lacking in some skills he had others to fall back on.

    "Over there" he whispered "to the right. That scree of rock would be too noisy but I reckon we could scramble up the rockface next to it. See! There is a tree stump we could use to aid us in climbing."


    Aid Another Perception (+2)
    Athletics (perception?) +9

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Scales of War Part 02 - Siege of Bordrin's Watch Battle Maps
      By nickverto in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: Wednesday, 31st July, 2013, 03:19 PM
    2. Siege Of Bordrin's Watch OOC
      By DEFCON 1 in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 200
      Last Post: Thursday, 3rd December, 2009, 08:36 AM
    3. Siege of Bordrin's Watch - Rogue's Gallery
      By DEFCON 1 in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Sunday, 31st May, 2009, 05:07 AM
    4. Scales of War: Bordrin's Watch ?s
      By Tellerve in forum Older D&D Editions and OSR Gaming
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Wednesday, 8th April, 2009, 02:01 PM
    5. Siege of Bordrin's Watch - Scales of War Up
      By Rechan in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: Friday, 29th August, 2008, 06:59 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •