Siege Of Bordrin's Watch - Page 21




+ Log in or register to post
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 339
  1. #201
    Tregar looks to Dorn and takes a certain responsibility for being the eldest member of their group. He had been away from the clan for such a long time, but he still remembered their stories, although the fog of time has enshourded them.

    The dwarf offered a few pieces of an old tale that his father had told him around the campfire when he was but a lad with only the whiskers of a beard protruding from his chin.

    OOC

    Aid Another on Dorn +2 History

 

  • #202
    Registered User
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

    DEFCON 1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    5,327

    ° Ignore DEFCON 1
    The group scrambles up the rocky face towards the outcropping. Gloomblade says that he would like to check things out first to make sure the area is safe, and Henry volunteers to go with as an extra weapon. The two men advance on the stoneworked cave entrance with weapons drawn and take a quick look inside. They see that the walls gleam in long streaks of crystal, and the cave goes back to a single stone door, currently closed.

    Henry does a quick scout of the cave and the surrounding area, but is unable to see anything of note. (Henry Perception DC 10: [6] + 2 = 8 *failure*) Gloomblade wracks his brains, but is unable to come up with anything that might explain this phenomena. (Gloomblade History DC 15: [13] + 1 = 14 *failure*)

    Suddenly, both men jump slightly as the elven form of Gala morphs right behind them. She had padded up silently in her jackal form unbeknownst to them, so her transformation causes them to yelp in surprise. Her suspicions about what she had seen below were true... this WAS the kind of stonework that a red dragon would do... the crystal veins being quartz, and the long, flowing curves of the doorway of a draconic bent. (Gala Nature DC 15: [12] + 12 = 24 *success*)

    Upon mentioning that this was likely the work of a dragon... Tregar immediately flashes upon a nugget of information that had been buried deep within his memory... a name... a legend of a dragon within the Stonehome. Astra-- Azra-- Aza... pha... laxis? Yes! Azaphalaxis! That's it! (Tregar History Aid Another DC 10: [12] + 2 = 14 *success*)

    The name Azaphalaxis brings everything into clarity for Dorn, as he remembers the stories about the red dragon clearly. Azaphalaxis was a student of the arts, oddly enough... not something dragons were normally known for. But legend has it that this particular one used its magical powers and abilities to work the rock in the Stonehome Mountains into interesting and amazing shapes, and it was rumored that even parts of Bordrin's Watch itself bear the marks of Azaphalaxis' work. (Dorn History DC 10: [16] + 4 + 2 = 22 *success*) Many sages thought that the dragon had actually taken Moradin on as a patron, and if that is true... then perhaps this cave and doorway might be connected to Moradin's holy site, the Monastery of the Sundered Chain in some way?

    The group gathers together at the mouth of the cave, and Wendigo strides forward to check the door out. It swings outward easily... and you can see a passageway 10' in diameter beyond... moving on into the darkness. The shifter does not need to take more than three steps into the passage before he stops, drops to a knee, then turns back to mention what he's found... tracks. Exiting this passage into the cave. Orc tracks, if he's not mistaken. This might very well be the egress point that the scout party they discovered, used. (Wendigo Perception DC 10: [4] + 10 = 14 *success*)

    With congratulations passed all around for what they've found, the six quickly put their heads together to decide what they should do. Take this passage into the mountainside to hopefully either find a back way to the monastery or more of the orcs marching through... or continue the way they have been going, towards the eventual front gate of the Sundered Chain? The passage could easily save time and possibly take orcs by surprise, but Dorn's steed might not be able to traverse the entire way if the walls or ceiling grow narrower further in.

    What path will the group choose to take?

    **********

    3 Successes / 2 FailureS: Challenge Check 4: SUCCESS

    Reward: To be determined based upon the path the party chooses.

    SKILL CHALLENGE SUCCEDED: 4 OF 4

  • #203
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    EvolutionKB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    4,388

    ° Ignore EvolutionKB
    Wendigo peers into the darkness. Turning back to Tregar, the shifter speaks, "How are you at determining direction underground? This could be a good path if it leads to the Monastery. If not, it would be a foolish risk."

  • #204
    Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    stonegod's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    12,534
    Blog Entries
    10

    ° Ignore stonegod
    Dorn smiles to himself at his memory, then looks at the passageway. It'd be tight with the horse. But he was loathe to leave him. It had almost become a personal symbol, a symbol of the freedom he had been given, a symbol of the need to fight, to endure, to overcome.

    He kept the horse near, making clear his intent to keep it with them.
    stonegod -- LEB judge and spawn of Khyber since 2005 (Blog)

    My many characters | LEB Games | EtCR |Rise of a Demon Prince Story Hour

    "You be evil stonegod" -- Bront

  • #205
    Community Supporter
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Kobold Stew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Funcouver
    Posts
    1,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    ° Ignore Kobold Stew
    Gala's fingers and palm lie pressed against the stonework. she is pressing her hand into it, as if to embed the carvings on her fingers, a tactile memory.

    "If our priority is to make it to the monastery, then we should continue as before. I would prefer to follow this path, as these prints Wendigo has found indicate that this is the preferred route. Also, the knowledge of Azaphalaxis..." she looks quickly to dorn to see if she has pronounced it correctly "...is no accident. If we choose not to take the underground route -- and I know there are reasons for that -- then I would suggest we find a way to seal this passage first, to ensure that its usefulness to our enemy ceases. They will know the path has been found, but the advantage will be ours."

    Gala does not speak the other plan in her head, that even if they take the underground route still they seal the path behind them, in case they do not make it back.

  • #206
    "I would suggest we take the underground route, we have a better chance of succeeding if we do it this way. If we march right to the front door, it'll be a harder battle." Tregar adds.

  • #207
    Community Supporter
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Kobold Stew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Funcouver
    Posts
    1,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    ° Ignore Kobold Stew
    Gala dislikes the silence. She wants to move -- time is wasting, and here they stand at a chokepoint, where they are likely to be seen. She pulls back her hand, and insects the patterns on her palm from the rock, rubbing them with her thumb as if trying to work her way through a maze. She steps into the darkness, lightly, drawing forth her everburning torch from her backpack. It is currently hooded, but she knows that a quick pull on the cord will release the sheath and reveal the magical nonconsuming flame that burns eternally beneath it.

    She takes a few steps into the cavern, to see if there are any light sources within. She doesn't need the torch for her first concern, which is the roof. This is an old passage, and as she taps the basalt with the end of the torch, she sees flakes of shale fall away. Yes, the entrance could be closed, with a bit of work; she was sure of that. Each of the falling stones, she thinks, are like the ones she used to skip across the lake, back when she was a child. A hundred years ago. Before she discovered who she was.

    Who she was.

    Gala puts back the everburning torch in its place, and shakes off her elven form. On all fours once again she raises her tail, swishing it along as she feels the stones on the ground press into her forepaws, and leave their shallow impressions.

  • #208
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    EvolutionKB's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    4,388

    ° Ignore EvolutionKB
    Wendigo stands at the entrance to the tunnel looking back and forth at his companions. "Perhaps this is a sign from Moradin, this is what he wants us to do. He has shown us the way, it is only up to us to take it."

  • #209
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    The Digger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    909

    ° Ignore The Digger
    "He has shown us the way, it is only up to us to take it."

    "I agree" said Henry "we are too few to assault the monastery frontally. Surely the Gods have guided our steps here. It would be foolish to forsake their help."

  • #210
    Community Supporter
    Scout (Lvl 6)

    Kobold Stew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Funcouver
    Posts
    1,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    ° Ignore Kobold Stew
    The jackal at their feet begins padding deeper and deeper into the opening. She wants to close off the entrance, but she is not going to do it alone, and none of her companions have seen the value in it.

    Here eyes begin to adjust to the dark, and as she turns around she finds she can barely see the opening, now above her and several hundred yards away, the thin silhouettes of her companions carved in outline.

    The path is well-worn and easy to follow. That in itself is disappointing, for it points to the size of the foe they are facing. Gala warily proceeds, and hopes that her companions follow.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Scales of War Part 02 - Siege of Bordrin's Watch Battle Maps
      By nickverto in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: Wednesday, 31st July, 2013, 02:19 PM
    2. Siege Of Bordrin's Watch OOC
      By DEFCON 1 in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 200
      Last Post: Thursday, 3rd December, 2009, 07:36 AM
    3. Siege of Bordrin's Watch - Rogue's Gallery
      By DEFCON 1 in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Sunday, 31st May, 2009, 04:07 AM
    4. Scales of War: Bordrin's Watch ?s
      By Tellerve in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: Wednesday, 8th April, 2009, 01:01 PM
    5. Siege of Bordrin's Watch - Scales of War Up
      By Rechan in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: Friday, 29th August, 2008, 05:59 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •