Pathfinder 1E Power and Pathfinder Classes - Forked Thread: Pathfinder - sell me

Roman

First Post
Forked from: Pathfinder - sell me

The above-linked thread rekindled the discussion that we have had a few times already on the overall power level, as well as power differences between the classes in Pathfinder and 3.5E.

Increase in power-level as compared to 3.5E belongs among my main concerns about the Pathfinder RPG. The other top concerns of mine are the potential spread of magic to non-magical classes (I like to keep the magical and the non-magical as separate as possible) and the potential introduction of more gamist concepts such as per-encounter durations and such (which I intensely dislike). There is little evidence of the latter happening, which is good for me, but there is some evidence of the former with Rogues and Barbarians being the main potential culprits based on the beta, though we obviously don't know how the final version will treat them. There is, however, much more evidence for the power-level being jacked up in the Pathfinder RPG.

In some cases, increasing the power-level can actually be useful from the game design perspective. This is the case when it improves the balance among classes. Boosting the Fighter provides a good example of that. At other times, the improvement in flavor thanks to a certain ability is so large that the increase in power may be worthwhile - this may be the case with races having +2 to two ability scores instead of one (though in this case the option of a +2 to one of the two ability scores chosen by the player instead of to both would greatly limit the power boost and achieve much of the same effect).

Much of the time, however, I view the increases in power-level as problematic. One such case in the Pathfinder RPG is hit point inflation. More hit points boost power in a useful (as in powerful) but boring way (so no flavor to help overlook the increase). The hit point increases will also tend to make combats longer, when many of the complaints about high-level play in 3.5E are that combats last too long already.

Another problem is when power increases boost the classes that are already on top of the power-heap. An example is the Wizard (and the Cleric too with Channel Energy, when going against the Undead) in Pathfinder RPG. Already close to the top in terms of power in 3.5E (apart from Clerics and Druids), the Wizard in Pathfinder RPG gets three major boosts:

1) 40% increase in mean (average) hit points from hit dice (d4 upgraded to d6, so 2.5hp increases to 3.5hp on average)
2) A major ability (usually spell-like) every second level
3) An initial ability and a powerful capstone ability based on school (OK, so I admitedly do like the idea of capstones for all classes)

On the whole, I would say this is a bigger boost in power than even the Fighter gets in Pathfinder RPG! Of course, many of the spells are toned-down, so it is not an entirely fair comparison, but some of these changes are gratuitous (the hit dice increase for certain - it is not even targeted at low-level survivability, since the extra hit points accrue over levels).

I understand the notion that there needs to be an incentive to stay with the base class rather than automatically going for prestige classes, but if the spell-like abilities are necessary for this... shouldn't the Wizard lose something to compensate? How about something like maxing out Wizards spells at 3 per spell level rather than 4 per spell level (and doing the same for Clerics)?

Anyway, is there any evidence that in the final version of the Pathfinder RPG some of the power boosts to the powerful classes have been either removed or compensated for by removal or toning down of other features? How about the overall power level (things like hit point inflation and boosts to races) - is this being toned down as well in the final version?

Does anybody have any other thoughts on the matter?

GMforPowergamers said:
Did you miss the part where they ADDED more to wizard, then the guy I responded to said they raign supreme...so you can talk about variety all you want but it is a dishonnest arguement when I responded to "Raign Supreme"

couldn't we fix this by not allowing +1 caster level prestige classes...that way you have to choose cosmic power spells, or class features...instead of making every wizard MORE powerful...

again when played by a creative and smart player Wizards have what I like to call a swiss army win button at high levels. Not Wiz X/ Loremater Y/ Archmage Z.... just a wizard level 17...why ADD more when you can just as easily balance it with the other classes.

the real joke is wizard is NOT the most powerful class, but the game is set up so that some classes (Spellcasters) have more options and more power then others. I want to know WHY?

By the way the real sad part is I think Piazo is a good company for CS issues, and it is run by gamers, so I really want to support them. However I feel everytime I do I get bite for it.
I want balance. I have been calling for it for almost 10 years now (right around 3.5 complete warrior comeing out) that I want to sit down and say "What do I want to play" and if it is X class I know I can be just as kick but ad Y class, just in a diffrent way.
I read this thread to try like the OP to be sold on buying a company I like, and I feel it is just more the same...can someone tell me what makes this the best $60 I can spend?

That, sir, was a beautiful post.

Here is the part I most want to comment upon:
Increase in power-level as compared to 3.5E belongs among my main concerns about the Pathfinder RPG. The other top concerns of mine are the potential spread of magic to non-magical classes (I like to keep the magical and the non-magical as separate as possible) and the potential introduction of more gamist concepts such as per-encounter durations and such (which I intensely dislike). There is little evidence of the latter happening, which is good for me, but there is some evidence of the former with Rogues and Barbarians being the main potential culprits based on the beta, though we obviously don't know how the final version will treat them. There is, however, much more evidence for the power-level being jacked up in the Pathfinder RPG.

More "magic" for nonmagic classes seems to be a 4e issue as well among detractors (among fans it seems to be a total nonissue). As pathfinder is marketed to detractors, I agree with you here.

Gamist versus Simulationist...I think they're being vey careful here. VERY, VERY careful. I'd be surprised if they messed this up, given what I've learned from lurking on their boards.

My expectation is that CODzillas will no longer be the UBER. Sorcerors, bards, rangers, wizards, fighters, and barbarians will be more interesting, and inspiring. Everyone will have a bit of power creep, but that will be (hopefully...or at minimum...) balanced against the power levels of prestige classes.

What I'm really hoping to see is something to the effect of "yeah, I COULD prestige class this class X, but I think I might just chooe to go from level 1 to level 20 as the standard base class."

A system that allows that to happen, but also doesn't wreck balance, would be awesome in my opinion. Allow people to become specialized, but also make the generalized classes better at general stuff than the specialized classes.

If it's a real choice insted of "well why the heck WOULDN'T I prestige class" then they'll be making me happy.

I may be no 3.5 expert but wasn't hitpoints never the problem? I thought it was the large amount of abilities, modifiers, and stuff higher levels characters had.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
You only briefly mentioned spells being toned down, but I think that's a huge issue. Wizards can have all the abilities in the world, but if you nerf their spells, you nerf them directly, in before someone makes a truly bizarro argument to try and prove me wrong. You can't seperate the wizard from the wizard's spells and say "See, he's way too powerful now."

Runestar

First Post
I may be no 3.5 expert but wasn't hitpoints never the problem? I thought it was the large amount of abilities, modifiers, and stuff higher levels characters had.

Even at higher lvs, hp was still fairly binary. Your barb could have 230hp at lv30, but a tarrasque could PA for 15, hit on a 2 or better and still expect to 1-shot the barb on a full-attack.

Or they would simply use abilities which ignored hp altogether, such as SoDs or debuffs like blasphemy, maze or forcecage.

So yes, in a way, it is not an issue, but only because it can be made irrelevant altogether. If a foe is going to KO you in 1 round regardless of whether you have 1000hp or just 1hp.... :p

Samurai

Adventurer
That, sir, was a beautiful post.

Here is the part I most want to comment upon:

More "magic" for nonmagic classes seems to be a 4e issue as well among detractors (among fans it seems to be a total nonissue). As pathfinder is marketed to detractors, I agree with you here.

Gamist versus Simulationist...I think they're being vey careful here. VERY, VERY careful. I'd be surprised if they messed this up, given what I've learned from lurking on their boards.

My expectation is that CODzillas will no longer be the UBER. Sorcerors, bards, rangers, wizards, fighters, and barbarians will be more interesting, and inspiring. Everyone will have a bit of power creep, but that will be (hopefully...or at minimum...) balanced against the power levels of prestige classes.

What I'm really hoping to see is something to the effect of "yeah, I COULD prestige class this class X, but I think I might just chooe to go from level 1 to level 20 as the standard base class."

A system that allows that to happen, but also doesn't wreck balance, would be awesome in my opinion. Allow people to become specialized, but also make the generalized classes better at general stuff than the specialized classes.

If it's a real choice insted of "well why the heck WOULDN'T I prestige class" then they'll be making me happy.
This is right, and the problem (if you want to call it that) is that several classes in 3.5 get few or no special abilities as they level up. Wizards get 1 bonus feat every 5 levels. Sorcerers don't even get that... just look at their "Special abilities" column! Summon Familiar" at 1st level, and then nothing at all for the remaining 19 levels! Same with Clerics: they get "Turn Undead" at 1st level, and that's it, nothing else for 19 levels.

Now, you may say "But they get spells instead of special abilities!" The problem is, many prestige classes give both special abilities AND +1 spellcasting advancement. So these classes have no reason at all not to take a Prestige class (or almost none in the Wizard's case, but it's not hard to find a PrC that gives more stuff than 1 feat every 5 levels...)

Pathfinder really isn't increasing the power of wizard, clerics, and sorcerers, because in 3.5, they got their spells + whatever special abilities they got from their chosen PrCs. In Pathfinder, if they choose a PrC, they don't get any of the class improvements, since the PrC only gains spells, not special abilities, and they have their own hit dice, not the new d6 wizard hit dice, etc. However, by giving the base class these additional things, it becomes viable and balanced for a character to remain in the base class and not take a PrC, and still get some abilities each level. It's no longer a no-brainer to take a PrC, as the full 20 level base class is the equal of the old class + a PrC. And if they still do take a PrC (as they always used to do), they lose all the new stuff anyway.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Forked from: Pathfinder - sell me

One such case in the Pathfinder RPG is hit point inflation. More hit points boost power in a useful (as in powerful) but boring way (so no flavor to help overlook the increase). The hit point increases will also tend to make combats longer, when many of the complaints about high-level play in 3.5E are that combats last too long already.

Boosting hit points is one of the best, most direct ways to improve the game:

• It does not increase the offensive power of the PCs, only their staying power.
  • It allows combat to be more swingy (good) without being deadly (bad). More hit points allows for much more granular results.
  • It allows you to throw more opponents at the PCs at one time-- in effect, boosting the power of the fighting classes substantially, whose offense is not dependent on any resource other than hit points, vis a vis the spellcasters, who are still limited by their spell slots despite the increase in staying power. More creatures in one fight not only makes for a more enjoyable game, it makes for a more balanced game.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
Hi there all,

Many of the concerns in the OP were brought up numerous times during the lengthy playtest and we have taken numerous steps to address them or, at the very least, to ensure that they are balanced.

I am afraid I cannot yet go into all the details, but there will be previews that look at some of the issues... starting soon.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

((Yes, I know its not the most satisfying answer and saying "trust me" is not really going to fly, but I am afraid that I just cannot let the cat out of the bag yet))

AllisterH

First Post
That's one of the things that kind of makes backwards-compatibility not possible.

The fact is, most of the base classes WOTC released actually are weaker than the classes in the original PHB.

Remove ads