D&D 3E/3.5 Converting monsters from Mayfair Games Role Aids product line

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shade,

Do you have any of the old Role Aids products? Does anyone have any of them?

And if someone does have them, is there anything in them worth converting to 3rd Edition?

A FLGS here in Edmonton has some of them but I haven't bought any of them yet because I'm unsure of the quality of the creatures in them.

Should these monsters be converted?

Cheers!

Knightfall

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I do not have any of them, nor can I comment on their quality.

Somehow, I have a feeling Echohawk may have them. ;)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I do not have any of them, nor can I comment on their quality.

Somehow, I have a feeling Echohawk may have them. ;)

Alas, Echohawk has none of them :(

Hey, something new for you to collect! :D ;)

Heh. Heh. :p

I just got my first Role Aids product last week. I've only skimmed so far, so I am not sure what unique monsters it has in it.

I'll probably get some of the other RA books. I've seen them around Edmonton. (Some are cheap; however, some are not.)

Melatuis

Explorer
I have the Mayfair Games "City State of the Invincible Overlord" 4 box set. I also have Role Aids #716 "Deadly Power" and # 732 Elven Banner.

I will post the "new monsters" as I scan them. I do not know if they are different enough to convert. I will let "you all" decide.

Last edited:

Melatuis

Explorer
Here are the "New Monsters" from Role Aids # 716 Deadly Power.

FLESHMORPH (Yelad)
Greater Devil

ARMOR CLASS: 4
MOVEMENT: 9"/18" flying
HTK: 10D8
ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE: 1-10 (Mace), 1-4 (claws)
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 60%
INTELLIGENCE: Genius
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
SIZE: Large 10 feet tall
Yelad was one of the most renown Fleshmorphs and served as Dispater's favored aid, charged with collecting human slaves for Dispater's palace on the second plane of Hell.

Fleshmorphs are bat-winged creatures with tiny, hairy ears, a bald head, and a flattened mound with two holes for a nose. Fleshmorphs carry a poisoned mace (43 to hit) that causes death within two hours of contact.

They can perform once per turn or melee round: Detect Invisibility, Cause Fear, Produce Flame, Read Magic, Wall of Fire, Polymorph to Human Form, Dispel Magic, Detect Magic, Summon Monsters (50% chance of summoning 1-2 Erinyes).

CLASS GOLEM
ARMOR CLASS: -2
MOVEMENT: 12"
HTK: 50(1208)
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE: 2-16,2-16
MAGIC RESISTANCE: See Below
INTELLIGENCE: None
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: Nine feet tall
The Glass Golem has extremely sharp knuckles which will cause double damage per hit against opponents wearing no armor or leather-type armor. Ring, scale, or chain mail clad opponents take normal damage, but after three hits, the armor will be useless. Splint, banded, or plate armor clad opponents take normal damage but six successful hits will render the armor useless.

If the Glass Golem takes more than 5 HTK damage from a single attack, glass from its body will shatter, hitting everyone for D 2-5.

Glass Golems can be hit with only a +1 or better magical weapon. They are 70% resistant to all spells which cause damage.

ELITE GIANT RATS
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVEMENT: 12"/6" (swimming))
HTK: 3d8+3
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE: 2-5, 2-5, 2-7
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Disease
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Semi-
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: Six feet, standing
Elite Giant Rats are actually a crossbreed between a Giant Rat and a Brown Bear. These creatures are specifically bred by Greasel Greedigutt in order to have a guard which has an ability to fight like a bear and also have the love for the sewers that is characteristic of a rat.

Elite Giant Rats look just like rats except they are six feet long. They are able to swim like rats and fight on their hind legs (if trained) as do bears. The bite of an Elite Giant Rat has a 10% chance per wound inflicted of contracting a serious disease. Unlike Giant Rats, Elite Giant Rats have absolutely no fear of normal fire, and if they are in the presence of Giant Rats, there is a 70% chance that the Giant Rat will show no fear of fire.

Elite Giant Rats are collectors of many items, but they are selective. They seem to have some knowledge of what trinkets they find are worth keeping.

Melatuis

Explorer
Here is the "New Monster" from Role Aids #732 Elven Banner.

FOREGATHERING SPIRIT
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 24"
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
HTK: 12
NUMBER OF ATTACKS: 1
THACO: 9
DAMAGE: 2-5
SPECIAL: Fear, Abosrption, Animation of skeletons and recently dead humanoids. Can be hit by only magical and silver weapons.
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Varies
INTELLEGENCE: Very
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil
SIZE: Medium

Foregathering Spirits are a form of undead which appear as a swirling yellow mist about the size of a man. When looking at the mist, each individual sees a vision that is so horrible, it cannot be described. The creature actually takes on the appearance of the character's greatest fears.

Foregathering spirits are formed by the merging of two or more human or humanoid spirits who died horribly agonizing deaths. The more spirits are combined when the Foregthering Spirit is formed, the more powerful the monster becomes. Each two souls that are combined to form the creature give it one HTK.

The Foregathering Spirit attacks by moving into the body of its victim. To do this, it must have a successful hit. Treat the intended victim as Armor Class 10, ignoring his/her actual armor class, but allowing for any dexterity bonuses. Once the Spirit has moved into the body, it does 2-5 HTK of dam- age per round. After six rounds inside the victim—or if the victim is reduced to 0 HTK—absorption of the victim's spirit is complete. The monster then adds another spirit to its total.

Once the creature is inside its victim's body, any attack against the Spirit must also be considered an attack against the victim. The same roll is used, and the victim has a chance to save depending on armor class. If spells are used, the victim must save vs. spells or be affected. The victim can counterattack the Spirit inside his body by rolling a natural 20 each round, which negates the Spirit's damage for that round, and causes 2 HTK of damage to the Spirit.

If any characters encounter a Foregathering Spirit, they must immediately save vs. spells or be affected by the equivalent of a Fear spell. The affected character will flee as far and fast as possible for 2-5 rounds.

When the Spirit reaches 8 HTK, it gains the ability to animate skeletons and dead humanoid bodies (as zombies). The skeletons and zombies must have complete frames or bodies, but the parts need not be connected. The Spirit has the power to reconnect the parts. It can animate one skeleton or zombie per round, up to a total equal to its HTK. Any animated creature that is "killed" may be re-animated two rounds later.

Foregathering Spirits are affected by normal weapons until they reach 8 HTK. Then, only magical or silver weapons will have any effect on them. Weapons studded with chalcedony do double damage. The Foregathering Spirit has a cumulative magic resistance of 10% for every two HTK, until it reaches a total of 70%.

A foregathering spirit may be turned by clerics and should be treated as an undead of the same HTK.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases