The 3 Core Books plus THIS ONE BOOK are all you can use to game--What's the one book?

That would either be Unearthed Arcana, or the FRCS.

Unearthed Arcana is a vast toolkit for customization of 3.x, and with it you would have the rules to run dozens of campaigns and adapt the 3.x rules to lots of styles and settings.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting may be a 3.0 book, without any 3.5 "crunch", but it's the single best one-book treatment I've ever seen of a campaign setting. The fact that the Realms (pre-Spellplague, which as far as I'm concerned never happened in my campaigns) are my favorite setting is a big bonus. It's my favorite setting summed up into one book.

As for which of the two? That's a really, really hard go. I guess it would depend on if I was going to be running just one game or those would be the only books I would ever have. If it was just one game, the FRCS because I could run a very fine FR campaign with just the Core 3 and that book. If it was ever, then I'd go with UA so I would have plenty of ways to change up and keep the game new over many repeat playings.

Ahzad

Explorer
Three votes for Ptolus :D

Make that 4 for Ptolus. A well thought out detailed city w/ adventure hooks scattered into a vast majority of descriptions. Underground labyrinth of an old dwarven city, dungeons, crypts. A 3000 foot evil tower in the middle of the city full of more dungeons. A Necropolis full of undead, and fallen demons and devils again right in the city. Criminal organizations on the brink of a crime war, a split in the empire with the emperor of the church claiming to be the rightful emperor as well. The world around the city sketched out in just the right amount of rough detail.

That's it for me, the 3 core books + Ptolus, don't need anything else. A light traveling campaign worth years of fun.

Depends on the game.

1E AD&D, the 4th book is Unearthed Arcana

2E AD&D, the 4th book(s) would be Complete Book of Fighters and Complete Book of Thieves in a tie

3.5E D&D, the 4th book to me would be Tome of Battle, if I had to pick just one.

4E D&D, its a tough call, but I gotta go with Adventurer's Vault by a hair over PHB II. PHB II adds so much to the game, but running 4E without Adventurer's Vault is IMO unthinkable.

Remathilis

Legend
1e: Unearthed Arcana
2e: Players Option: Spells & Magic
3e: Eberron Campaign Setting
4e: D&Di Compendium (Ok, not fair. How bout Adventurer's Vault?)
BD&D: Rules Cyclopedia + Creature Catalog

Remove ads