The 3 Core Books plus THIS ONE BOOK are all you can use to game--What's the one book?

mlund

First Post
I'd have to say that I'd take the Player's Handbook 2 for my 4th Edition games. That book really does just round out the player options in a vital way.

I'd miss the Adventurer's Vault, though.

- Marty Lund

AllisterH

First Post
For me, secondly it's all about the expanded options for both players and DMs. FIRST, that would be fixing anything I consider unbalanced/broken in the core.

1e: UA - while not exactly a balanced book and thus not fixing anything in core, no other book in 1e did fix the core and at least this expanded options for everyone (fills my second condition)

2e: Tome of Magic - Just edging out the PO:Sp&M since even though this didn't have the reorganized spheres, it does have the spells for the spheres and I'm going to cheat and use the DRAGON issue that was the inspiration for the reorganized spheres.

3e: I'm tempted to say PHB2, but I'm going to have to go with Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords as this one book fixed everything I thought was wrong with melee combat.

4e: No question about it, PHB2 is as core as you can get without being "core".

NOTE: If computer products were available, for 1e/2e, I'd change my vote to my DRAGON cd archive compilation and for 4e, my DDI subscription.

For my 3.5e game it would be a toss up between a few books.

Shackled City Adventure Path - With this book and the core 3 I could easily game for several years without needing to worry about creating my own adventures.

PHBII - Some new base classes, variant class abilities for the other base classes and a number of nice feats make this a good add-on book. It has something for just about every class.

Ptolus - The size of this sucker allows it to cover a lot more ground than just about any other single book. Campaign setting, adventures and rules all in one.

Magic Item Compendium - I really like magic items and this book give you a whole lot of them.

Olaf the Stout

Voadam

Legend
Supplements and settings are nice but I use modules so its all about the big multigame adventures. I could run setting stuff without the books, I can remember some key supplement rules, but adventures I would not want to do without the adventure book itself to reference again and again.

So of stuff I've got:

BD&D B1-9 In Search of Adventure
1e Temple of Elemental Evil
2e Dragonlance anniversary adventure
3e Castle White Rock (Not sure it counts, it is a boxed set and not a single book, might have to go with Adventure 1 or Warlords of the Accordlands Campaign, or Freeport Trilogy, or War of the Burning Sky Complete PDF)

The Ghost

Explorer
My three 4e core books are all I'd need for gaming; I could design anything I wanted based off the examples in those three books.

And then I'd have my copy of The Lord of the Rings to use as inspiration for creating my own fantasy worlds.

Replace 4e with 3.5e and this sums it up for me.

Olli

First Post
well, i have to cheat a little, i don´t take a book, but my dragon magazine rom...:D

if i had to pick a book, it would be a great encyclopedia (rules for my homegames i can do alright on my own).

oh and i would take the 1st Ed. DM guide for every edition rather than the original (eg 3rd, 4th whatever)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases