D&D 4E Stalker0's Alternate 4e Fighter: The Warrior

Stalker0

Legend
For those who want to see my alternate Paladin: The Crusader, you can go herE: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...ternate-d-d-4th-edition-paladin-crusader.html

Just like with the paladin, I want the 4e fighter to have more choices in its secondary abilities. While the fighter does this better than others, I don't feel that wisdom is a strong enough stat to warrant a lot of points. Further, I continue to wage my personal vendetta against the mark system. So without further ado, my alternate fighter:

Warrior

Defenses/Weapon Profs/Armor Profs/Powers: Same as Fighter

Warrior Weapon Talent: You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with all weapons.

Rule the Battlefield: A warrior's opportunity attacks are greatly enhanced. You gain the Warrior's Insight and Warrior's Superiority powers. Only one power can be used on any opportunity attack.

Warrior’s Insight
At- will, Martial, Weapon
Opportunity Action
Trigger: When an enemy provokes an opportunity attack from you by moving.
Target: One creature
Attack: Wisdom vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Wis, and the target stops moving. If the target has actions left, it can use them to continue moving.

Warrior's Superiority
At-will, Martial, Weapon
Opportunity Action
Trigger: When an enemy provokes an opportunity attack from you by moving, or when an enemy within your threatened area shifts or makes an attack that does not include you as a target.
Hit: Strength + Wisdom vs AC
Damage: 1[w] + strength + wisdom

Commentary:

Weapon Talent: I felt the fighter's requirement to choose one or two handed weapons needlessly restricted. For most builds it will never come up, and for people who like to shift styles why penalize them. Further, in the once in a blue moon time a fighter wants to pull out a bow and use it, they get the attack bonus.

Adding a "striker" defense model: With the warrior, the goal was to promote a more offensive way of defending. The warrior has stronger OA's than the fighter, which results in more raw damage to the enemies wishing to leave the warrior's side. Further, the warrior is not restricted by one immediate interrupt per round to attack shifting targets or enemies attacking his buddies, if he is surrounded by guys, they will all feel his pain.

As a balance, there is no more -2 to hit from a marked target. Further, I have weakened the movement stop power of the class. Now its a choice, should the fighter use a power that does less damage and has less accuracy (because it uses wisdom not strength) to stop his enemies cold...or simply rear back and use a good old high damage/high accuracy opportunity attack.

The power of the wise warrior: While wisdom for a fighter had a few uses, it was a very small power of the class. With the warrior, high wisdom greatly adds to the defending aspect of his class. A high wisdom warrior can stop multiple enemies cold and can hinder multiple opponents around him with powerful opportunity attacks. However, a warrior that forgoes wisdom for higher strength still has plenty of power to dish out and can function just fine on the battlefield.

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
Nine times out of ten when I read posts like this I just say "Whats this idiots problem!"....this time I havent.

This is pretty good. Its a review of the warrior's stickyness and does it in an interesting way. You have demonstrated both a good understanding of use of mechanics to create gameplay dynamics and also a grounding in understanding 4e mechanics in general. I salute you sir.

Would I apply it to my own campaign? Not at this point in time. I can see flow on effects (Devoted challenge for instance) that would need to be resolved and I probably wouldnt do something like this unless I did it as part of a consolidated push to erradicate the marking mechanism all together (which Im not going to right now).

Nail

First Post
Hmmmm.....nifty.

...but I think there might be some confusion between Warrior's Superiority and Warrior's Insight. (I know there was for me.) Perhaps you could make them *both* At-Will class feature powers. I'm thinking of how the Shaman was set up.

Stalker0

Legend
Hmmmm.....nifty.

...but I think there might be some confusion between Warrior's Superiority and Warrior's Insight. (I know there was for me.) Perhaps you could make them *both* At-Will class feature powers. I'm thinking of how the Shaman was set up.

What was your confusion so I can clarify it better.

What was your confusion so I can clarify it better.
He might want both to be described as an at-will power?

Warrior’s Superiority
At- will, Martial, Weapon
Opportunity Action
Trigger: When an enemy moves, shifts or makes an attack not including you.
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength + Wisdom vs AC
Hit: 1[W] + Strength + Wisdom.

This should cover everything Warrior's Superiority seems to do.

erf_beto

First Post
Hmmm... Warrior's Insight is an opportunity attack, so you add Warrior’s Superiority +Wis to attack and damage... but Warrior's Insight already uses Wisdom to attack. Are you supposed to roll 1d20+Wis+Wis+1/2level to attack?

I suppose Mustrum's version (Str+Wis) got it right (and more simplified, wich is always a plus in my book), except for the Spiked Chain Cheese that it allows: I think it's missing the Melee 1 or Melee Weapon Range, or maybe the trigger line should say "When an enemy within your threatened area moves, shifts or makes an attack not including you".

Overall, I quite like it.

Stalker0

Legend
Hmmm... Warrior's Insight is an opportunity attack, so you add Warrior’s Superiority +Wis to attack and damage... but Warrior's Insight already uses Wisdom to attack. Are you supposed to roll

If you read Warrior's Insight again, it specifically mentions that warrior's superiority doesn't apply (because I knew people would ask:

The goal is for warrior's insight to be an option for the fighter. If a person moves around the fighter, he can either use his normal OA (with the wisdom bonus) or can use the wisdom attack to try and stop their movement.

EDIT: I went ahead and "powerfied" the fighter's abilities, so hopefully it will be clearer now.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases