Do you have a local game store?

Do you have a local game store?

• Several, and more than one are excellent.

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Several, and one is excellent.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • Several, and none are very good.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • One, and it's excellent.

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • One, and it's not very good.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • No, but there used to be one.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • No, and there was one recently.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No, and there wasn't one recently.

Votes: 18 12.2%

Glyfair

Explorer
I am curious exactly how prevalent game stores are for the ENWorld users. So, I decided it's time for a simple poll. Do you have a LGS? An FLGS? More than one?

Edit: People asked for some definitions.

Game store: Store that has significant sections for RPGs, and where you would expect the employees to have some knowledge and experience with them. Border's isn't a game store, a comic store that carries RPGs may or may not be.

Local: That depends on your area. Local in NYC is different from local in northern Alaska. If they are in the range of a weekend day of shopping, they are certainly local. If not, use your judgement.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Gaming stores we have four in the greater Columbus area. One has good selection of items but otherwise not that good, one is really close has okay customer service, but selection is bad. One at least partipates in things like Free RPG day but otherwise not that good. And the final one I actively tell people never to go there ever.

Frankly, I find myself liking Barnes and Noble and Half Priced Book stores for my gaming purchases. I just wish B&N got books the day they came out. D&D books they seem to have that week, White Wolf stuff maybe that month if we are lucky.

EricNoah

Adventurer
A couple and they're both good. I don't visit them. I get a steady stream of 3.5-compatible stuff from Paizo via mail order subscription. I do some online ordering via Amazon.com (though less now than when 3.5 was in print). I buy PDFs. I might occasionally buy something from a chain bookstore (again, not so much nowadays). That's about it. I am not a gamer who needs, say, a new set of dice every year, or miniatures, or card games, or whathaveyou.

Rechan

Adventurer
We have one, and it's not a true gaming store.

Sure, it has a big shelf of gaming books, and a table in the front for Warhammer or the like. And six tables in the back for gaming.

But the place's priority is video games. People come in and pay a sum to play LAN-connected co-operative games for an hour. So there's not a huge priority put on the actual tabletop-ing.

It's also inconveniently far from me, and since I am at the whim of others providing the transportation...

Gothmog

First Post
There are several here, but only one is any good...

Meta-Games Unlimited

This is the best run gaming store I've ever seen or heard of. They have a huge amount of playspace, great staff, lots of different product lines, a great used books section, snack bar, LAN rooms, private gaming rooms...the works! Plus, its only about 1 mile from my house.

Although very close to them in terms of quality is Valhalla's Gate in Columbia, MO. I did my MD/PhD there, and I was a regular at VG over that time too. They don't have quite as much gaming space, but again the staff, product range, and professionalism of Valhalla's Gate is first rate.

I voted "Several, and one is excellent." but that isn't exactly right.

In our city we have 3 places that sell gaming books (well there is a chain bookstore that carries the occasional book but I'm not counting them - they never have much of anything).

The one I go to is a CCG/CMG shop with board games, some comics and a fairly good 4E D&D selection - that is the only RPG they carry, but they get the books in right away, and keep things stocked. If you like 4E it is great. They have discounts so the price is not more than a buck or two more than Amazon (usually). They will special order anything in though.

The second is a bookstore, with a wide selection of gaming stuff - Gurps, WoD, D&D, and others (including some CCGs and CMGs). But they rarely update it, and the person that was in charge of the gaming area no longer works there, so that section is pretty much ignored. I wouldn't be surprised to see it clearenced out sometime in the future. They never sell for less than cover.

The third is a toy/game store that mostly carries M:tG and Warhammer - they have a very very small selection of RPGs, and they are way to expensive.

The first one is the one I go to, but then a friend of mine owns it, so I would anyway. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases