Older Realms adventures questions, coming up with CR's?

Amazing Mumford

First Post
Hey, I am in the midst of doing some module updating, and I was wondering what some of your opinions would be on modified EL's for these two:

1) Nightmare Keep, originally 1E for levels 18-20. The two main "baddies" at the end are a Mature Lichling (converted to CR 11) and a Demilich, which in 3.5 is CR 14 according to the Tomb of Horrors III and City of Brass. I estimate EL 15 to be decent for this adventure... does this seem right? Also, there are two Undead Dragon Turtles (CR 12 or 13 maybe each for being undead? Would you use the zombie template??) near the beginning and a lot of "continual harassment" which doesn't contribute towards the PC's getting a lot of chances for uninterrupted rest...

2) Throne of Bloodstone, the 1E 18th-100th level adventure... Remember in 1E "leveling up" past 18th level really wasn't all that significant, so the difference between say a 12th-18th level character was much greater than the difference between say a 18th-40th level character. 100th level wasn't nearly as much of a "PC smack-down" as it is in 3.5... That being said, there's the initial battle vs. Zhengyi the Lich-King :uhoh:, I believe an 18th level wizard, which would make him a CR 20, and he also had some pretty deadly encounters in his tower, as well as a powerful white dragon... not too sure of the age category off the top of my head, but I think maybe Ancient, so CR 18... anyway, then there's the whole "stealing the wand of Orcus" :erm: (Orcus CR 28 per Libris Mortis and Book of Vile Darkness) and "getting Tiamat's heart" :eek: (Tiamat CR 25 per Dragon #272 and Manual of the Planes) deal... Anyway, my estimate (this one is a lot harder!) is maybe EL 18 for the first part of the adventure, and EL 23 for the second? Remember, you don't have to KILL Orcus, just get his wand... Tiamat though is a dual to the death, and she has her powerful consort chromatic dragons with her as well... Is that too light? Maybe EL 20 for the first part, and EL 25 for the second??

Opinions would be greatly appreciated... I want to be a fair DM, after all...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I don't know the adventure (except for lichlings ;)), but I can comment on the dragon turtles. As a zombie, a standard dragon turtle is only CR 4, so not a big challenge. But, if you have the Draconomicon, you could use the zombie dragon template (it looks like it's meant for true dragons despite the RAW not being quite clear, but I'd think a dragon turtle is close enough).

Amazing Mumford

First Post
Hmmm, I don't have the Draconomican in front of me, what does that template give that the regular zombie template doesn't? The adventure has them as "Undead Dragon Turtles" with basically the same abilities as a regular dragon turtle but they're undead... What template would be most appropriate?

Runestar

First Post
Hmmm, I don't have the Draconomican in front of me, what does that template give that the regular zombie template doesn't?

It allows them to retain the benefits of their dragon HD (mostly full bab and good saves) instead of converting them to crappy undead HD. HD is a little higher (1/2 that of the original dragon).

Doesn't seem very threatening. You may want to advance them first or something.

Remove ads