Reavers of Harkenwold -- new campaign setting?

2WS-Steve

First Post
From front page -- [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Reavers-Harkenwold-Adventure-HS1-4th/dp/0786953888/]Reavers of Harkenwold: Adventure HS1 for 4th Edition D&D[/ame]

HS1? Does this imply a new campaign setting? I noticed that Forgotten Realms adventures all use the FR# format.

Hawke

Explorer
Interesting !

I wouldn't suggest it's a new campaign setting, just a new set of adventures. Harkenwold is a forest and city in Nentir Vale if I remember correctly. Perhaps they're starting over but working within the same starting area.

If we were looking at a brand new campaign setting I would believe we would see an original name instead of a recycled one, and I would put the timeline for an adventure into next summer rather than in February and then wait for the campaign books to come out in the summer. I could be wrong about the summer campaign setting assumption, though... especially if they went to a model of 9 months between instead of 12 months or something like that.

Richard Baker is attached... I wonder if this will be a round two set of adventures perhaps associated with a stronger roleplaying element that has been discussed as a direction they wanted to make (perception is reality, afterall)

Klaus

First Post
Interesting !

I wouldn't suggest it's a new campaign setting, just a new set of adventures. Harkenwold is a forest and city in Nentir Vale if I remember correctly. Perhaps they're starting over but working within the same starting area.

If we were looking at a brand new campaign setting I would believe we would see an original name instead of a recycled one, and I would put the timeline for an adventure into next summer rather than in February and then wait for the campaign books to come out in the summer. I could be wrong about the summer campaign setting assumption, though... especially if they went to a model of 9 months between instead of 12 months or something like that.

Richard Baker is attached... I wonder if this will be a round two set of adventures perhaps associated with a stronger roleplaying element that has been discussed as a direction they wanted to make (perception is reality, afterall)
Harkenwold is the largest "barony" in the Nentir Vale, made up of dozens of tiny villages under the rule of the elderly Lord Harken. It is featured briefly in a Roll vs. Role article in December's Dragon:

[sblock]
Harkenwold is taxed for tribute by an Adult Red Dragon zealot of Tiamat, who sweeps by one night every year to collect tribute (it is intended to be a reverse Santa). Lord Harken asks the PCs to deal with the dragon, and if successful he eventually appoints them his heirs (which he otherwise lacks). A great way to move the party into Paragon territory.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

catsclaw227

First Post
Yep. Looks to me like the start of another set of adventures in the Nentir Vale. I had sort of expected a new region to be built up after going 1-30 with the H-P-E series.

Stil, like the previous set, the series is probably loosely connected, with light hooks if you want to string them together.

I wonder what the "S" in HS1 stands for?

Interesting !

Agree and agree. I, too, was expecting a different region to be detailed, but the notion of further elaborating upon the Nentir Vale also intrigues me! (Especially if they do it in such a way that it still remains a semi-detailed Point of Light; it needs depth rather than breadth, IMHO.)

The idea that I could see a series of adventures parallel to the Orcus-saga, (set alongside it or after it) but with more of a social and skill challenge basis... I like it!

Rechan

Adventurer
I doubt it will be RP/Skill challenge heavy. That's wishful thinking.

Adventure modules are very much shots in the dark. You don't know who you're selling it to, what their tastes, or their group makeup. So you try to make it as group neutral as possible.

I imagine selling dungeon crawls is the "Safest" bet; only a subset of your customers may want a strong emphasis on non-combat.

I too hope that the next set of adventures are more roleplay/skill challenge friendly, but I don't expect that to be emphasized.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases