[Pathfinder] Burnt Offerings

Pathfinder -- Burnt Offerings

Character Sheets
Playing the Game

Number of Players: 4-6
Point Buy: 15
Level: 1st
Alignment: No evil, CN will need a good backstory and must be accompanied by the intent to play well with others in the party
Setting: Varisia of Golarion
Pantheon: Open for consideration
Starting Gold: Max for your chosen class
Suggested Sourcebooks: Pathfinder Core Rulebook, DMG, MM, Pathfinder Players' Guide, Dragon magazine material, Draconomicon, Book of Exalted Deeds, Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Scarred Lands CS, Relics and Rituals I and II, Divine and Defeated, Deities and Demigods.*

Game Pace: Leisurely. I am a thorough DM but past experience has taught me that when I get too into D&D, I burn out. This game will therefore entertain periods of lulls in activity. If that's not for you, that's okay...but let this serve as fair warning.

*Please ask if there is something you're in love with that is not on the list.

Players Selected:
Ambrus -- Taran, male Bronze Dragon
Walking Dad -- Sivan, male Varisian Paladin
Shayuri -- Talashia, female Varisian Sorceror (Air Elemental)
mfloyd3 -- Elyra, female Varisian Ranger (Archery)
jkason -- Tac, male Varisian Rogue
Merlin's Shadow -- Grokk, male Half-Orc Cleric (Torag)

The following are introductory excerpts on Sandpoint from the Burnt Offerings module. All credit and rights go to Paizo.com:

[sblock=Region]Those who head north from Magnimar along the rocky coastline quickly find themselves in a peculiar country. Fog drapes the rolling landscape, floating spectrally along damp and lonely moors. Small woodlands grace the region, their tangled depths redolent of nettles and pepperwood and pine sap, while further inland, river valleys lined by majestic redwoods wind between ragged tors and limestone escarpments. This vastness and the sense of isolation have earned the region its local name. This is the Lost Coast.

Yet there are pockets of civilization along the Lost Coast. Traditional Varisian campsites can be found in nearly every gulch and hollow along the cliff-lined reaches, and lonely houses sit upon bluffs now and then--domiciles for eccentrics or the rich seeking a bit of peace far from the bustle of Magnimar's streets. Roadside inns grace the Lost Coast road every 24 miles or so, placed by virtue of the distance most travelers can walk given a day's travel. Low stone shrines to Desna, goddess of wanderers and patron of the Varisians, give further opportunities for shelter should one of the all-too-common rainstorms catch the traveler unaware. Given time, any of these seeds of civilization could bloom into a full-grown town, or even a city. It's happened once already, along the shores of a natural harbor nestled among the cliffs some 50 miles northeast of Magnimar. What was once a larger-than-normal Varisian campsite in the shadow of an ancient ruined tower has become the Lost Coast's largest town: Sandpoint.[/sblock]
[sblock=Approach to Sandpoint]As one approaches the town of Sandpoint, the footprint of civilization upon the Lost Coast grows more clear. Farmlands in the outlying moors and river valleys grow more numerous, and the blue-green waters of the Varisian Gulf bear more and more fishing vessels upon its surface. Passage over creeks and rivers is more often accomplished by wooden bridge than ford, and the Lost Coast Road itself grows wider and better-kept. Sight of Sandpoint from either approach (south or east) is kept hidden by the large upthrust limestone pavements known as the Whistler's Tors, but as the final bend in the road is rounded, Sandpoint's smoking chimneys and bustling streets greet the traveler with open arms and the promise of warm beds, a welcome sight indeed for those who have spent the last few days alone on the Lost Coast Road.

From the south, entrance to Sandpoint is governed by a wooden bridge, while from the north a low stone wall gives the town a bit of protection. Here, the Lost Coast Road passes through a stone gatehouse that is generally watched by one or two guards--the southern bridge is typically unattended. Aside from the occasional goblin, the citizens of Sandpoint have traditionally had little worries about invasion or banditry--the region simply isn't populated enough to make theft a lucrative business. Hanging from a bent nail at both the gatehouse and the southern bridge is a sign and a mirror--painted on each sign is the message: "Welcome to Sandpoint! Please stop to see yourself as we see you!"[/sblock]

SandpointMap.jpg

[sblock=Sandpoint]Most of the buildings in Sandpoint are made of wood, with stone foundations and wood shingle roofs. The majority are single-story structures, with a few noted exceptions. The town is often thought of as two districts by the locals. Uptown consists of the structures residing on the bluff abutting the open ocean that overlooks the lower portion of town. Most of these buildings are relatively new, and the streets are open and less crowded. The majority of the town's buildings can be found downtown, which grows increasingly crowded as available space is claimed by new arrivals. Downtown is built on a gentle slope that runs from a height of about 60 feet above sea level to the west down to only a few feet above the waterline to the east and south.

Sandpoint Harbor is a fairlydeep natural harbor, 30 feet for most of its expanse, with sharply rising slopes near the shore. The languid waters of the Turandarok River wind down from the hinterlands, skirting Devil's Platter to empty into the harbor--the river is often used to transport lumber harvested far upriver down to the local saw mill. South of town rises another bluff on which Sandpoint's most affluent landowners have staked claims.

Only a few hundred feet north of town rises an upthrust spur of rocky land topped with a few trees--this is known as Chopper's Isle, once the home to Sandpoint's most notorious criminal. A remote outcropping accessible only by flight or bya skilled climber, the locals now believe the isle to be haunted by Chopper's ghost. Children often dare each other to go out to the isle's base at low tide and touch the barren cliff face that surrounds it, but no one's visited the top in years.

The sight that strike all visitors to Sandpoint at first is the ruins of the Old Light. The original height of this tower is unknown, but those who have studied the ancient architecture of the crumbling remains estimate it might have stood more than 700 feet tall. Today, less than a quarter remains. The Old Light rises from sea level and is built into the face of a 120-foot-tall cliff, the tower extending another 50 feet above that level to culminate in ragged ruins. The remaining shell is yet another reminder that neither the Chelaxians nor the Varisians are the first settlers of this land, yet apart from a few badly weathered carvings signifying that the peak of this tower once held a brilliant light, no insight to the tower's true purpose remains.

For five years, the faithful of Sandpoint have attended church in smaller wooden structures rebuilt after fire destroyed both the previous temple and Father Tobyn and his adopted daughter, the fairhaired and ethereally beautiful Nualia. While the cathedral's new pastor Abstalar was helpful, kind, and wise, church wasn't the same. Now, the new cathedral is finally done. All that remains is for the Swallowtail Festival t renew the site's blessings from the gods and it will be as if the Sandpoint Fire had never occured.

The Swallowtail Festival begins promptly, as scheduled, on the first day of Autumn. The square before the church quickly becomes crowded as locals and travelers arrive, and several merchant tents featuring food, clothing, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them. Following the re-dedication ceremony of the new Sandpoint Cathedral, the Sandpoint Theatre--run by local Cyrdak Drokkus--will present a brand new production of "The Harpy's Curse." Local billboards hint that the lead role of Avisera the Harpy Queen shall be played by a mysterious diva actress, whom Cyrdak has busily been talking up as possessing pre-eminent beauty and preternatural talents to town locals.[/sblock]

Attachments

• SandpointMap.doc
    1.7 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
I'd be interested in playing. Right now I'm thinking a half-orc cleric of a deity of war or justice. His passion would be protecting the downtrodden and confronting evil wherever it may be.

Just to be clear, are we using the 3.5 PHB or the Pathfinder Beta? I'm also assuming you meant May 30 and not April 30, correct?

Ambrus

Explorer
Hi CanadienneBacon! Nice to see you around. I see you've moved to the mainland since the last campaign I played with you. I'm rather enamored with the new Pathfinder system and the Golarion setting and so am very interested in your proposed campaign.

Could you offer any clue as to the theme of the campaign; city intrigue, dungeon delving, high seas swashbuckling, etc. Taking into account the sources you listed, I'd be curious to know whether you'd consider a somewhat unorthodox player character using the rules put forth in Dragon Magazine 320. ;)

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
Name: Grokk (no relation to Michael Valentine Smith :p)
Race: Half-Orc
Class: Cleric (War and Protection? Still thinking about domains
Align: NG
Feat: Divine Spontaneity (if PHB2 is permitted) otherwise...Spell Focus (Conc), Endurance, or Iron Will...Not too sure here, as well.
Skills: K/Relig, Sense Motive, Intimidate, Conc

Grokk grew up in a largish city as a fairly typical outcast. One of the few people to show him much in the way of kindness was a cleric at a local temple. This was the driving force that led Grokk to become a cleric.

I don't have the Pathfinder Player's Guide (yet), but I can flesh out my background a little more once I get an idea of deities and the campaign in general.

Shayuri

First Post
Hey there!

I have been wanting to try a storm mage in Pathfinder for awhile now, and though we're starting at first level, this looks like a good game to do it with!

Name: Talashia
Race: Human
Class: Sorceror (Air Element)
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Feats: Spell Focus in evocation is likely, as is Spell Penetration. If you allow the Arcane Familiar feat from Complete Arcane, I'd be taking it in conjunction with Improved Familiar to get a little air mephit pal. Or maybe Leadership if you allow it, and don't want to go the familiar route.
Skills: Bluff, Intimidate, Knowledge of magic and planes, and Spellcraft.
Spell choices: Blasty spells, defenses, battlefield control, and utility, more or less in that order. Some of that may be impacted by whether or not I'm the only arcanist.

Talashia is a stormbairn (literally storm-born); a child born of a woman struck by lightning while pregnant. Her early life was a constant struggle to contain the elemental forces raging within her. Now that she has mastered them, she seeks to embrace them and transcend the limits of her mortality. Although possessed with a fierce temper, Talashia pursues this goal with some caution and an eye for long-term success. She can be bossy and overbearing at times, but has a genuinely caring and compassionate heart even if she isn't always good at showing it.

Walking Dad

First Post
The character is from my first try for this adventure. We game stopped before the end of the prelude.

Human paladin of Shelyn

[sblock=Stats]
Name: Sivan Calderon
Class: Paladin 1
Race: Human [Varisian]
Size: Medium
Alignment: Lawful Good
Deity: Shelyn

Str: 16 +3 (5p.) Level: 1 .. XP: 0
Dex: 13 +1 (3p.) BAB: +1 ....HP: 10 + 2 + 1 +6= 19
Con: 14 +2 (5p.) CMB: +4/+8 .Dmg Red: -
Int: 12 +1 (2p.) Speed: 20' .Spell Res: -
Wis: 10 +0 (0p.) Init: +1 ...Spell Save: -
Cha: 14 +2 (5p.) ACP: -1 ....Spell Fail: -
(Racial bonus on Str)

Base Armor Shld Dex Size Nat Misc Total
Armor: 10 +6 +0 +1 +0 +0 +0 17
Touch: 11 Flatfooted: 16

---Base Mod Misc Total
Fort: 2 +2 +0 +4
Refl: 0 +1 +0 +1
Will: 0 +0 +1 +1

Weapon
Glaive +4 1d10+6 20x3

Languages: Common, celestial

Abilities:
Aura of good
Detect evil
Smite evil 1/day (+2 to hit, +1 damage)

Feats:
County Born, Overhead Chop, Defensive Combat Training

Skill Points: 4
Skills --------- Base Mod Misc Class Total
*Knowledge (Religion) 1 +1 +3 +0 +5
*Diplomacy----------- 1 +2 +3 +0 +5
*Craft--------------- 1 +1 +3 +0 +5
*Spellcraft---------- 1 +1 +3 +0 +5

Equipment: (240gp)
Glaive (8gp) (10lb)
Dagger (2gp) (1lb)
Spiked Gauntlet (5gp) (1lb)
Splint Mail (200gp) (45lb)
215gp

Backpack (2gp) 2lb
Holy Symbol (wooden) 1gp --
Grappling Hook 1gp 4lb*
Traveler's clothes (free) (-)
4gp

Total Weight:68lb Money: 21gp

-----------Lgt Med Hvy Lift Push
Max Weight: 76 153 230 460 1,150

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 194lb
Eyes: Blue

[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
Gifted with a strong body and personality, Sivan was an oddity because of his strong lawful tendencies among his people, the Varisians.
Being also a strong lover of the arts, he was naturally driven to the teachings of Shelyn. As he tried to become part of her cleregy, the other priest soon realized, that he lacked the certain kind of wisdom to become a regular cleric. Instead, and noting his lawful tendencies, they urged him to become a paladin, protector of arts and artists alike.

Having formed a friendship with another 'odd' Varisian painter and would be wizard, Chaine, he choosed to stay with him in Sandport during his apprenticeship.

37154d1224448159-rogues-gallery-pathfinder-rpg-burnt-offerings-sivan-animated.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Could you offer any clue as to the theme of the campaign; city intrigue, dungeon delving, high seas swashbuckling, etc. Taking into account the sources you listed, I'd be curious to know whether you'd consider a somewhat unorthodox player character using the rules put forth in Dragon Magazine 320.
Howzit, Ambrus?

Burnt Offerings features wildnerness, dungeon delving, and some town exploration. High seas swashbuckling doesn't receive play in this particular adventure, so characters oriented toward the seas may not feel as utilized (though the main town and the some of the exploration do abutt the open ocean).

My collection of Dragon magazines is two hours north of me...what's in Dragon 320 that you in particular are considering?

Last edited:

Talashia is a stormbairn (literally storm-born); a child born of a woman struck by lightning while pregnant.
Howdy, Shayuri. Your character made me think of something I recently read and enjoyed, a book of juvenile fiction from the library, entitled Troll Mill. In the book, the author uses the middle English term bairn for infant. The bairn in Troll Mill is half human, half seal...which I kind of thought would make for an interesting D&D character.

Thanks, all, for your responses. I haven't been on EnWorld for quite some time and in the time I've been away the site seems to have changed quite a bit in some respects. I wasn't certain whether a 3.5 game would be well-received, so it's nice to see that there's interest in a former version of D&D. If I don't reply to everyone's responses, please don't take it personally. I'm purposefully keeping my posting light in order to avoid burn out. Posts that ask questions, however, will receive a reply.

If you've asked a question and haven't had a reply within in 24 hours, please re-post with a nudge. Sometimes I inadvertantly miss things or don't realize there was a question due to the vagaries of Internet messageboards.

Remove ads