The Upcoming Adventures thread

evilbob

Explorer
I am good for whatever. I can join the Merryl's Rescue group if they need someone or I can fill in for HMG's game. I believe Mervin's the only level 3 currently in the tavern and he does happen to be a controller (who also has a history of joining games 1/2way thru :)).

Fair warning: I will be out of the country from about May 30 to June 12. That's a solid two weeks and I may or may not have internet access, so if that will make a difference I just want to warn you up front.

weldon

Explorer
You could track the tavern with cs's if you wanted. Players would have to add a tag of something like "L4W:Tavern". That would create a special page with links to the characters.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm not sure it would make things simpler, but its an option.
As long as people went into their CS's and removed the Tavern tags that could work
You're right, it's not simpler. It redirects the requirement from editing the status page to editing your own character sheet. I spent a little time looking at the wiki last night trying to understand out if I can query the pages to pull out category tags or other details like level, class, etc. from the templates so I could generate the status page dynamically. I haven't been able to figure out if it's possible or not yet. I'll keep looking a little today.

evilbob

Explorer
It redirects the requirement from editing the status page to editing your own character sheet.
Exactly - and while editing your own character sheet is easier, updating the status page allows all the important information to appear in an appropriate place (since looking at a list of names is unhelpful). Good luck making a query; I haven't seen anything like that in a wiki but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'd love to see it if you get it working!

weldon

Explorer
Exactly - and while editing your own character sheet is easier, updating the status page allows all the important information to appear in an appropriate place (since looking at a list of names is unhelpful). Good luck making a query; I haven't seen anything like that in a wiki but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'd love to see it if you get it working!
A little digging and I have found a way to build the status page automatically with DynamicPageList. This extension is available by request. Who does that? The L4W Facilitator user?

This looks really cool actually. I can grab the class, level, etc. from the template tags. Instead of using categories to show location, we can just add a new template tag where users can enter text.

Help me figure out how to get our wiki admin to request that Wikia turn on the extension for us and I'll get working on the dynamic status page.

A word of caution: it is possible to write really nasty DPL queries that will tank the site. I don't think this one will and I will use a generous cache setting (8-24 hours?) as character sheets aren't updated all that often.

weldon

Explorer
I sent the request to enable DPL on our wiki site myself. We'll see if that works.

While upcoming adventures and tavern roll call in this thread was my inspiration for looking into this, I think it's best to move the discussion on creating a dynamic character status page to the new wiki thread.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas around here.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I really think all this should be in the discussion thread instead of the upcoming adventures thread.

On topic, I've received the approval from ren, still need another I think yes?

renau1g

First Post
They moved it. You still need a second approval. On it, but I haven't given the official approval yet (haven't had a chance to look at your response).

Kalidrev

First Post
I'm looking to start an adventure sometime soonish (i.e. the next couple of weeks) and have pinged the judges about it, but I was wondering how many (and who/what) are in the Tavern at the moment so that I can plan accordingly. The adventure is written for 5 1st level characters, but I could easily tweak it for higher level/less characters if needed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases