Confidence Index: A D&Di poll on VTT and Char Visualizer

So what chance that they will all ever be done, in a full finished format?

• 0%

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • 10%

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 20%

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 30%

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 50%

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 60%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 70%

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 80%

• 90%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 100%

• Poll closed .
Give the percent chance you think WotC will ever release the VTT and Character Visualizer being finished and playable in the manner in which they were advertised they would be during the 4e marketing push?"

Edited in response to feedback. See post 11 for the old question.

Last edited:

Harr

First Post
Depends... your parenthesis aside, if by 'complete' we're talking about a relatively complete suite of DM-helper tools that are useful and help speed up play in a variety of ways, such as campaign managers, monster builders, loot calculators, etc, then yeah, reasonably confident that it will eventually reach that stage.

However, if by 'complete' we are actually and non-negotiably talking specifically about the Game Table ever being finished and playable in the manner in which it was advertised it would be during the 4e marketing push - then none whatsoever. It will never happen.

Ktulu

First Post
Yeah, that's sort of a loaded poll. I don't think they're going to go forward with the virtual table and might never do the Character Visualizer. They're both so low on my wishlist that I wouldn't care if they ever did.

However, I do think they're going to hit a lot of intended marks from this point forward, as they're now fully aware of what they can and cannot do. Sometimes they might reach too far, but so does every company; most especailly game designers.

In all honesty, though, so long as they just keep having the compendium and Character builder updated, they'll get my monthly money. Those two pieces alone are all I ever want. The rest is just pure icing on the already carb-laden ice-cream-brownie-fudge-cake-o-doom.

Drkfathr1

First Post
I think the key points of the poll are the Character Visualizer and the Game Table, and in that respect, as someone just pointed out above, as they were advertised pre-launch.

malraux

First Post
Depends... your parenthesis aside, if by 'complete' we're talking about a relatively complete suite of DM-helper tools that are useful and help speed up play in a variety of ways, such as campaign managers, monster builders, loot calculators, etc, then yeah, reasonably confident that it will eventually reach that stage.

However, if by 'complete' we are actually and non-negotiably talking specifically about the Game Table ever being finished and playable in the manner in which it was advertised it would be during the 4e marketing push - then none whatsoever. It will never happen.

My thoughts exactly. I have no problem believing that the DM tools will show up some time this year or early next. Certainly everything except a dungeon builder should be around by that point.

I suspect that the VTT won't happen not because its too difficult, but because the cost benefit just isn't there. Of course, at this point, WotC isn't defining the VTT as part of DDi anymore.

I'm really surprised that anyone considers this a "loaded poll". How so exactly?

I mean, they haven't stated that they can't do the virtual tabletop, nor have they stated that it is cancelled or will not happen.

The question is, "how confident are you that it will happen?"

malraux

First Post
I think the key points of the poll are the Character Visualizer and the Game Table, and in that respect, as someone just pointed out above, as they were advertised pre-launch.

The poll would probably be better served by asking the real question then, "do you think WotC will ever release the VTT and Character Visualizer?" instead of some nebulous definition of complete. The DM tools currently in development weren't part of the advertised elements of DDi in the run up to launch, but I've always felt that such a thing should be an element of the DDi, and to me wouldn't be complete without it, while the VTT I thought of as an obnoxious white elephant.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have 95% confidence that an extremely good suite of tools (on par with the character builder) will be finished. I have a 50% confidence that this will include the virtual tabletop within a few years, and 0% confidence that this will include the character visualizer -- and as far as I'm concerned that's a good thing. I would see the visualizer as a giant waste of resources, and would prefer more useful tools.

Cadfan

First Post
I'm not voting.

I honestly hope they never complete these tools. They seem to intend to raise costs as the list of items made available by a DDI subscription increases in length. These tools are of little value to me, so I'd rather they never got around to them.

Remove ads