What is Dungeon Delves?

Klaus

First Post
Dungeon Delve

Dungeon Delve provides the DM with an array of small, easy-to-run dungeons each specifically designed for a night of gaming.

This book is designed for groups looking for an exciting night of monster-slaying without the prep time. It contains dozens of self-contained, easy-to-run mini-dungeons, or "delves", each one crafted for a few hours of game-play.

The book includes delves for 1st- to 30th-level characters, and features dozens of iconic monsters for the heroes to battle. Dungeon Masters can run these delves as one-shot adventures or weave them into the campaign.

Weregrognard

First Post
No. The RPGA's Delve Night adventures are not the same ones from the Dungeon Delve book, but they are designed in a similar fashion. They are composed of about four encounters so you can run one once a week or all four once a month. Each month they're supposed to come out with a different Delve Night adventure. They're meant for casual play.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I think the context is WotC sending out kits to hobby stores to run Dungeon Delves.

Are these just one-shots from the Dungeon Delves book?

They aren't from the Dungeon Delve book but do follow its format - 3 encounters with (sometimes) a skill challenge or two. The encounters link together to form a (short) adventure that can be used pretty much anywhere. I've used about 10 of the 'delves' from Dungeon Delve and envision using many many more. Very handy little set pieces.

Festivus

First Post
And just to mention it, the entire format of the current D&D Delve Night is changing from it's current incarnation of encounters tied together with a very flimsy plot (and I haven't seen a skill challenge yet in one), to a story that will unfold over a 9 month period, taking the players on a level 1-3 journey, one encounter at a time.

More story, perhaps some combat skill challenges, certainly more engaging that what we currently get, and aimed at new players who can use the free character builder or the pregens that come with the kits.

The will bump the level of the encounters every 3 months (I think) and start over after they cap out at level 3.

At least that is the current rumor mill. Someone from WoTC or who has gone to a sneak peak event can share more no doubt.

Kinneus

Explorer
How are dungeon delves different than dungeon crawls?
Dungeon Delve is a book (series of books?) that contains a number of ready-to-use dungeon crawls. So Dungeon Delve contains many dungeon crawls.
Asking 'how is a dungeon delve different from a dungeon crawl?' is kind of like asking 'how is a monster manual different from a monster?'

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases