CB's Pathfinder Beta -- Burnt Offerings

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac cringes at the sound of dogs and goblins, and hopes for the best. He turns back to the door.

"Master Viskalai, your brother sent us to check up on you. We've taken care of the goblins, but our friend is injured. If we could just come in to let him rest?"

Ambrus

Explorer
The tawny collie lopes the fifty or so yards down Church street to rejoin the allied group near the White Deer inn. Turning the corner, Sandstone unceremoniously drops the small carcass he carries in his mouth down amidst the pile other slain raiders. The canine offers those assembled there a few short barks as he repeatedly turns in place to draw their attention towards the undefended north gate.

Shayuri

First Post
"But...I thought..." Talashia seems at a loss, but quickly recovers her bearings, especially when Garridan's rebuke is heard.

She strides towards the inn door, pausing a moment to hiss a 'shush' at the barking dog before continuing to her destination. There she gives the door a good pounding and yells, "Garridan, open up! It's your brother who sent us here, so there's no trouble unless you're making it!"

Ambrus

Explorer
She strides towards the inn door, pausing a moment to hiss a 'shush' at the barking dog before continuing to her destination.
The dog obediently stops barking and sits his rump down on the ground while keeping a vigilant eye on the nearby gate.

After Sandstone presents his quarry as prize and stops barking, someone from inside the White Deer at length unbars the door. The sound of wood being forcibly pried away, followed by what is evidently an interior wooden bar sliding across the door resounds in the evening's thickening fog ere at length the door is flung open by a coal-skinned Shoanti man roughly the height and stature of the Sheriff. "Baylor sent you, eh?" Garridan eyes first Tac then Talashia a moment, then his eyes widen just a hair in recognition. "You'd better be coming in, looks like one of your number's injured and the night's drawing dark." The innkeeper issues everyone inside then, casting a look at Sandstone and the heap of dead goblins at the dog's feet, whistles low. "You too, old pal. I reckon that night's work deserves something from the kitchen."

Those who enter quickly ascertain that the White Deer has become a makeshift station for the sick. Garridan's apron is stained with blood, as is the white apron of his cook, and a pair of patients lie on old blankets on the floor in front of the tavern's hearth. One, a middle aged woman, has a bad cut in her thigh that has been cursorily bandaged with kitchen towels but is still seeping blood. The other, an elderly man with a balding head and a thin grey mullet of hair, lies still a few feet from the hearth and doesn't move. The air of death hangs heavy inside the tavern. Garridan gestures to the elderly man and matter-of-factly states, "They ripped out Old Walt's innards. Wasn't much I could do. Elsie'll probably make it, but we need someone with a better hand to help. Good thing you lot came along--with the crowd of scavengers out front the Deer playing nasty games with that hunting dog, it was only a matter of time before the beasts found their way in. Other than Walt and Elsie, the rest of us're doing alright. What news of my brother and the rest of the town?"

While he debriefs his guests, Garridan puts a plate of sliced ham on the floor for the dog, then lines up tankards of ale on the wooden bar and gestures for Elyra, Grokk, Sivan, and Tac to take one if they wish. The fifth tankard, however, Garridan covers with the flat of his hand before offering to Talashia. "You weren't but a pup of a girl when you left, you sure you're old enough for a drink, lassie?" With a wink, Garridan offers the tankard to Talashia anyway. "Reckon you earned it."

Garridan listens intently to news of Sandpoint and his brother with a solemn shake of his head. Eyeing Grokk with a frown, the innkeeper grunts. "Wounded as he is, his company here at the Deer wouldn't go amiss. If Elsie makes it through the night, the priest can heal her right as rain in the morning after he's got his wind back." Grokk starts to bark in protest but quiets after stealing a glance at Old Dead Hank just as the wound in his own thigh oozes new blood. "I'll stay, you lot go," the priest grunts in pain.

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac gapes at the dead man a moment, then regains his composure. At least, a little.

"Gods, this is all just so ... wrong," he mutters.

"It started at the temple dedication," Tac explains, "Not sure if you were there; still not sure why they attacked. Your brother's been organizing volunteers to check out trouble spots since then, which is how we got here." It's perhaps the most concise Tac's explanation of something has been in quite some time.

He drinks the ale quickly, not caring that a small trickle escapes out the corner of his mouth. He doesn't breathe until he's done. Then he nods, and smiles a little in embarrassment. "Sorry. I'm an engineer. This whole kill and be killed is very new--and unsettling--to me."

Looking around the room, Tac nods at Grokk's decision to stay.

"I've seen enough death already. I'd hate for a new friend to be among the bodies, and it looks like you might be of better use here, using the gifts the gods gave you.

"Maybe we should leave Sandstone, too? In case there's any more trouble? Gods know I'd prefer he was filling up on ham than goblin."

Ambrus

Explorer
Surrounded by his fellow injured and suffering townsfolk, the rough collie finds that he has little appetite for the kindly proffered ham. Instead, he pads over to a bucket of water and begins to lap up its contents with a long tongue; if only to wash the foul taste of goblin out of his bloody mouth.

Licking the dripping water from the end of his snout, Sandstone looks over at Ol' Walt's still form with mournful eyes and offers a soft canine whimper. The dog knew him as a quiet man who enjoyed spending hours whittling driftwood on his front stoop. He'd often throw a stick for Sandstone to fetch whenever the collie would happen to pass by. And now the man lay dead on the White Deer's taproom floor; all because the guard dog had failed to notice or stop the goblin interlopers as they stole into town during the holiday.

With his head and tail hanging low, the tawny collie silently pads back out the door. There is little he can do to help ease the townfolk's suffering, but he can certainly act to prevent any further goblin raiding; and the first step is to secure the town's boundaries. He turns to offer those in the common room a single bark before heading out into the deepening twilight, back towards the open and undefended north gate.

OOC: CB, What's involved in closing and barring the gate?

Garridan nods at Tac's assessment, adding, "I warn't at the Festival. Stayed here at the Deer, serving from the taproom and making sure the hired help running the Deer's festival buffet table didn't run out of roasted loin. Old Walt stumbled in, bleeding his guts out, an' Elsie right after 'im." Garridan shakes his head with sorrow. "Damned nasty vermin, them goblins. I'd like to do them the same as wot they done Old Walt. What'samatter, boy? Not hungry?" Garridan looks down and, noticing the untouched plate of boiled ham, adds, "Sometimes I could swear that dog's human. Where'd he go, anyway? HELL FIRE!!!" Noticing he'd left the front door unbarred and open, Garridan swears and swiftly crosses the taproom floor to peer out into the pressing dark and fog. "Dog'll get hisself killed! He belong to one of you?" The innkeeper closes the door and re-bars it.

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac groans as Sandstone runs off, and in response to Garridan's query, says, "I'm beginning to think that dog belongs to some trickster god. He's got the most insane nose for trouble.

"If you bar the door again after we leave, I think you'll be okay. But if I'm gonna keep that dog alive after all the good it did, I think we need to go. Guys?"
Tac says, addressing his recent companions as he moves toward the door, straining to catch sight of Sandstone.

Remove ads