CB's Pathfinder Beta -- Burnt Offerings

True to expectation, Ameiko Kaijitsu's buffet table, unmistakable by the Rusty Dragon placard hung at the table's head, is by far and away the most crowded table within the church's square. Ameiko's exotic hairstyle, chosen specially for the festival no doubt, hangs from the top of her head in two thick braids coiled neatly into place. The hair of both braids has been died for the day in alternating orange, white, and gold strands. The effect, while over-the-top, lends itself well to the popular tavern-owner's face, accenting her almond-shaped eyes and delicate ears. Despite Ameiko's jest, her smile is wide for all her guests, and her welcome tone invites conversation.

Ameiko Kaijitsu's buffet isn't the only table laden with delicacies. Across the packed dirt courtyard in front of the glaringly new Cathedral rest a banquet of stalls, one of which boasts a long line of townsfolk waiting their turn for a two-penny pie stuffed with slivered eel. Servers bearing trays of apple chutney and flagons of wine serve patrons seated at bench-style tables; everyone seems to eat well past their fill. Ameiko herself eyes a merchant selling oranges, of all things, then--forgetting Kell for the moment--quickly strides over to the orange table with an audible harumph and begins to barter with the Korvosan merchant. "Such a distance you've traveled, surely these are spoilt by now? How much for this one with the bruise?" Ameiko points to a perfect golden-globed orange with nary a spot on it. The Korvosan vendor feigns indignance and the two begin to heatedly barter.

A town of nearly all humans, and certainly not a place known to offer comfortable harbor to those through whose veins courses non-Chelaxian blood, Sandpoint--on this day, at least--revels in the festival spirit. Free of the care lines normally creasing brow and nose, the Sandpoint locals enjoy unfettered feasting and merriment. Sivan, Talashia, and Grokk find themselves the beneficiaries of several friendly nods from the fishwives bustling about the market, their baskets filled not with the day's vegetables but with frivolities: ribbon, cheap children trinkets, bits of Korvosian lace, or small lengths of cloth bought at the open-air market.

Talashia recognizes Shayliss Vinder, the younger of a pair of daughters sired by Ven Vinder, Sandpoint's general store owner-proprietor. Like her older sister Katrine, Shayliss is the apple of her father's eye. Tall for her age and dark-haired like her Chelish-blooded mother Solsta, Shayliss has greatly changed in the years since Talashia last saw her atop her father's wagon while the shopkeep made his rounds through the Hinterlands buying bits of local farmers' harvest to be offered for sale in the general store. Though younger than Talashia by perhaps six or seven summers, Shayliss has filled out in the last years, becomingly so. The lass's dark hair falls free in heavy waves well past her slender shoulders. The cut of the girl's festival dress displays considerable decolletage, and the gold locket hanging low on her chest heightens the effect of her bosom. Shayliss smiles winsomly at Talashia. "Haven't see you in a long time." The girl eyes Sivan's ample chest and stammers. "I-I-I haven't seen him before. Oi!" Deep blue eyes flash up at Sivan.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia gives the dog a knowing smirk as it gives her a wide-eyed canine stare.

"I just saw you wolf down that fish," she tells it teasingly. "You can't con me."

Even so, she glances at the table next to her and realizes...it's not HER food. Why not?

She's just selecting a juicy, dripping fatty cut of pork when Shayliss steps up and greets her. To Kell's frustration, she puts the meat back down onto the table and hastily wipes her hand.

"Hello!" Talashia greets with a smile as she desperately searches her memory for the girl's name. She seems familiar but...oh right! The shopkeep's daughter! For a moment she's taken aback by the girl's...development, which surpasses her slimmer frame's endowment despite their age difference. "Shayliss, yes, it's been quite a while! I almost didn't recognize you!"

She almost blurted something about whether or not she'd gotten pregnant, but managed to hold the words back. She'd promised her folks she'd behave, and she wanted to prove that she'd changed.

Fortunately, Shayliss' apparently transitory attention span shifted to the man behind her, freeing Talashia from the drudgery of aimless conversation. "Seen who? Oh, him."

Ambrus

Explorer
Thwarted! Undeterred by the the white haired woman's momentary lapse in attention, the wily dog picks up his cleaned off plate in his mouth and gently noses the platter of fish on the table rather than the pork dish that she'd erroneously targeted. Seeing that the merchant's youngest daughter's distraction is seemingly at end, the tawny collie attempts to draw Talashia's attention back to its plight with mournful whimpering.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Here Tac's pride resurfaces. "She's an honest-to-goodness adventurer. She's been all over the place, fought off raiders and the like while I had my nose in books, right, El?"

Elyra smiles, embarrassed as she takes the half-orc's hand. "Not really an adventurer," she assures him. "I just like to travel."

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
Elyra smiles, embarrassed as she takes the half-orc's hand. "Not really an adventurer," she assures him. "I just like to travel."

Grokk squirms slightly, clearly uncomfortable, as the woman's hand grasps his. "Uhm...yes...uh, where have you been?" he asks awkwardly, pulling his hand away.

Last edited:

mfloyd3

Explorer
Grokk squirms slightly, clearly uncomfortable, as the woman's hand grasps his. "Uhm...yes...uh, where have you been?" he asks awkwardly, pulling his hand away.

"Oh, here and there," said Elyra, a bit taken aback at the half-orc's response but trying not to let it show."This year I spent some time with a trade caravan up to the Nolands, trading for furs."

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia flicks her eyes to Shayliss, who has only eyes for Sivan. She glances furtively at Sivan, then on seeing herself momentarily unobserved, leans against the table in such a way as to knock the fish platter off onto the ground.

"Ahh! I'm so clumsy. How embarrassing," Talashia says quickly. "Oh well, there's plenty more where that came from, and there's no fear cleaning up after it all with the dog around."

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
"Oh, here and there," said Elyra, a bit taken aback at the half-orc's response but trying not to let it show."This year I spent some time with a trade caravan up to the Nolands, trading for furs."

"Mm," Grokk says, sensing the woman's discomfort, which only served to increase his own. Why did this get so awkward. Time to change the subject. "Uhm, quite a few people turned out for this event, eh?" he asked, not making eye-contact with either of the two humans. Continuing to munch on his food, he also scratched absently at his dark hair.

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

"Mm," Grokk says, sensing the woman's discomfort, which only served to increase his own. Why did this get so awkward. Time to change the subject. "Uhm, quite a few people turned out for this event, eh?" he asked, not making eye-contact with either of the two humans. Continuing to munch on his food, he also scratched absently at his dark hair.

Rather unfazed by the awkwardness, Tac looks at the throng. "Oh, absolutely. I don't think there was even half this many at the last Swallowtail! It's amazing, right? All these people here to see the cathedral ... which I am not bragging about, I'm just ... um."

Tac started questing about, trying to change the subject. "You know, I think this is where Talashia said she'd meet me after she got done visiting with her folks. Do either of you see her? White hair, so she should be easy to spot, I'd think...?"

mfloyd3

Explorer
Tac started questing about, trying to change the subject. "You know, I think this is where Talashia said she'd meet me after she got done visiting with her folks. Do either of you see her? White hair, so she should be easy to spot, I'd think...?"

Elyra looked around. Her keen eyes picked out a stunningly beautiful white-haired woman standing beside a table of food, speaking to another young woman. As the two were speaking, the white-haired woman knocked over a plate of food. "Is that her?" asked Elyra.

OOC: Elyra's got a high Perception, and Tal shouldn't be that hard to find.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases