CB's Pathfinder Beta -- Burnt Offerings

mfloyd3

Explorer
Elyra looks at the retreating dog in annoyance, not wanting to leave the gate yet. "Who was watching the gate tonight?" She asks, her voice cold with barely concealed rage.

The guardsman is taken aback by her intensity, which draws her in, stepping up to him, her eyes slightly crazed. "Who was it?" She repeats. "Someone let those monsters walk through those gates! Who was it!?" Her voice rises in outrage as she stares at the hapless guardsman.

"Woulda been Tom Maggard," Ernie says with a frown then steps backward away from Elyra with his hands up to put some distance between himself and the heated exchange. "Tom Maggard, right Ben?" Ernie calls with a look to Big Ben, who stands beside Talashia a few feet distant. Ben looks confused a moment but nods in the affirmative.

Sandstone takes off in a loping run with a light bark, heading eastward. Please post whether your PC follows after the dog or remains at the Gate.

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac looks back and forth between the guards and his seething cousin. His mouth moves, but no sound comes out for a moment.

When Sandstone barks, the young engineer jumps, then quickly says, "I'll go check on the dog, then. You'll call out if you need me?" He quickly heads off to follow Sandstone, exiting the tense situation, though when he notes his canine companion has apparently gone off into a graveyard--a graveyard now covered in thick, atmospherically spooky fog--Tac gulps, though he does stick to his path, looking to find out what the dog's managed to sniff out this time.

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia looks off after the dog and its followers, then approaches Elyra.

"So whoever was on duty left the gate open, and that's how they got in," she says, glaring at the barred gate accusingly. "They could have been out there for who knows how long, biding their time..."

She sighs. "Even so, maybe we should check to see what that dog smells. It seems to have a nose for trouble."

mfloyd3

Explorer
She sighs. "Even so, maybe we should check to see what that dog smells. It seems to have a nose for trouble."

"You don't understand," Objects Elyra testily. "The tracks say someone left after the goblins came in -- Not a goblin, someone with boots. I think they betrayed the town and left..." She breaks off, unable to piece out why.

"Hellfire," she mutters, looking at their retreating comrades. "Fine, let's follow the dog."

With the threat of fisticuffs evidently passing as Elyra and the others march off east to the boneyard, Ernie recovers his courage and kicks the dirt--destroying more tracks. "You lot ain't the guard! Goin' 'round, accusin' at town officials, yer goin' ter regret that. I'll see ter it meself... " Ernie mutters the last in a low tone, but Talashia, Elyra, Tac, and Sivan all overhear him anyway. Ben shuffles over to the Gate to test the worth of the wooden bar by tugging on the both the bar and pushing against the gate doors. Satisfied, Ben turns around and--smiling-waves at Talashia.

Filtering through the fog that lilts between the gravestones littering the boneyard, the group doesn't at first see Sandstone so it takes some minutes to find where the dog's gone off to. At the far eastern end of the graveyard, however, Elyra is the first to spot the rough collie standing beside a bare stretch of the boneyard's northern wall. Gazing up past the line of Sandstone's pointing snout, sharp-eyed observers can make out the top of a ladder propped up against the wall's opposite side. Not far off is a freshly dug-up grave with the contents missing. The empty grave's headstone reads:

HERE LIES
Father Ezekiel Tobyn
In memorium of a life given to service​

jkason

First Post
Tac Abor, human rogue

Tac stops short as he sees the robbed grave.

"Did the goblins do this?" he says, clearly appalled. He glances to his cousin, clearly more expert on the creatures than he, and remembers she's new to town.

"This ... this was the town priest before the church burned down. With him in it."

mfloyd3

Explorer
"This ... this was the town priest before the church burned down. With him in it."

Elyra looks grimly into the black pit, obviously disturbed by the news. "I don't know," She comments. "But I don't think the goblins did it. Someone let the goblins into town, through the main gate, and then left after the goblins were in. And the goblins were carrying gold -- I can't see them stooping to grave-robbing with that much coin in their purses." She frowns. "Maybe they let the goblins in to distract the town so they could dig. But who would want to disturb the Father's grave?"

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia stares in mounting horror at the gravestone. She whispers to herself.

"Father Tobyn...I didn't even know...but of course, that would be why he wasn't at the new dedication..."

Elyra's words seem to snap her out of her shock, and her face settles into a grim expression.

"Lets find out." She looks at the ranger. "You said you saw tracks leading out of town. You can follow them, right? You can lead us on his trail."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases