The 3.X Aquatic Database

Noumenon

First Post
I read the first two pages and quit; unless you're going to click on all the Wikipedia links, I found just two things for this thread:
* A black fleet with red sails
* the battle of Salamis (but that all by itself was worth the skimming for me)
Somebody else can take it up on page 3.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Beyond the first post in this thread coming from it (on page 7), there is a lot of stuff to sift through, but its generally worth it (even if its not for an aquatic campaign).

Here's one (from page 8):
Speaking of maritime campaigns, there is a really cool historical resource available for gamers interested in including any kind ship travel, trading, or exploration called a Periplus.

Periplus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A periplus was a type of navigational document the ancients used in lieux of a map, analagous to the instructions you may have written down on a piece of paper to get to somebodies house in the days before the internet, except with a few more interesting details ... and the fact that these are a couple of thousand years old.
<snip good stuff>
Have fun navigating the demon haunted seas!

G.

followed by:

Another interesting character who apparently wrote a Periplus which we know of from other writers references to it but no longer have, is this guy:

Pytheas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...who apparently sailed from Massallia (Marseilles) to England and back in or around the 4th Century BC. He also made it up to the Baltic and back. He is a hero in Marseilles they have a statue of him there.

Somewhere in the thread is a massive post on Vikings as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases